WAG Interesting Read on Time of day and athlete performance

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I hear ya! but keep in mind that an 8am session is the same for all the kids during that sesssion. :)

^^yea, but to some an 8am session time would be an advantage, and others a disadvantage. I'd pick 8 a.m. for my DD anytime. I could see the writing on the wall immediately at my DDs last meet when she was expected to compete her flipping vault for the very first time at 9:15 at night. The session had started at 6:30. Before she even started her vault warm ups, I knew it was never going to happen. On any "normal" day she would have been asleep 15 minutes already.

I was right. She was an exhausted, mental wreck, who cried for the first time ever at a meet, and never even got a good enough timer to be allowed to flip.....

She's had her best meets at 8am sessions.

My YG competes best Mid-Morning (10-11 am start is ideal, but rare)... not a morning person... needs to be up for a couple hours before she really gets going... and she needs to have time for a huge breakfast to digest (a small breakfast will not do after going without food for 10 hours).

Yes. Finally some evidence! I'm going to send this to my coach who has stated morning training from 6-8 weekdays. Wait till he hears about this :)

Interesting article. I particularly like this paragraph. "The good news for athletes is that circadian clocks can be tweaked. Dr. Brandstaetter says he deliberately alters his depending on what he plans to do, adjusting factors like light, activity and meal times. He normally does not get up early or late, but somewhere in between. But he makes himself an early riser for work and becomes a late riser when he is on vacation. He is now working with athletes, doing what he calls “circadian coaching.” The idea is to change the natural biological clocks of those who are naturally late risers when their sporting events — like marathons — start early in the day."

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back