MAG Boys Gymnastics More Laid Back Overall

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
I think there are some who still think gymnastics is somehow "unmanly", unfortunately. Which is BS when you see how strong these boys and men are! But we had one boy on the team whose dad was very reluctant to allow his son to do gymnastics. Fortunately, he overcame his prejudice and let the kid join the team, but it took a lot of pleading.

I'd like to think that the sport will get more popular now that some of the old biases are (I hope) fading away. It's definitely an awesome sport -- great for physical and mental development, teaches discipline, etc.

I was just saying to a coworker today how much I love my son's coach and teammates because they all work so hard and don't have the entitled attitude I see in many of the kids in my daughter's tennis program, who blow off conditioning, talk back to the coaches, and so on. I asked DS what would happen if he did that with his coach and his eyes got really big and he said "I don't know... but something BAD!" :p

I think there are several reasons there aren't more boys - its still a "girls sport" many places, and there are very few men's programs - so hard to keep boys interested when they can't watch 50 "big kids" doing cool stuff like the little rec girls can at gym. Also, gymnastics is really hard and takes lots of work...

I realize that by high school level all kids sports these days are a big commitment - but you rarely hear of elementary and middle school boys playing baseball for 16-20 hours a week all year round plus all the money involved even at lower levels. My nephew is a serious baseball player. He does camps, extra batting practice, plays on multiple teams at age 11. His time commitment is still less than half of what my 10 year old L6 boy who does gym for fun puts in.

I'm glad boys gym is less intense - and believe me, it truely is on this side of the country - even at regionals, etc. Of course the boys need to pay attention, be respectful, salute, etc. However, there is an atmosphere of "we are all in this together" and "you have time to get better at this" that the judges and coaches share with all the kids....you just don't get that with girls gym....and I wish you did. On a different forum on here a mom posted a groups of youngish and extremely talented L8 girls doing beautiful routines - but what I liked is they looked like they were happy - not about to vomit like most girls at that level seem to feel!!!

What I love is how the boys' coaches around us often watch and cheer for gymnasts on other teams. Our coach knows a ton of boys by name even in compulsories whom he has never coached except at clinics. Yes, a totally different vibe than on the girls' side!

What I love is how the boys' coaches around us often watch and cheer for gymnasts on other teams. Our coach knows a ton of boys by name even in compulsories whom he has never coached except at clinics. Yes, a totally different vibe than on the girls' side!

We see this in our area too. I think there are so few athletes and programs in comparison to the girls that everyone just knows everyone better. I find the meets have a more laid back atmosphere because there's a limited number of judges and they know the coaches and most of the boys. On the boys side here, I see coaches talking to judges about scores without having to do it formally and judges giving guys feedback on routines. When my daughter competed, I never remember that happening on the girls' side.

We see this in our area too. I think there are so few athletes and programs in comparison to the girls that everyone just knows everyone better. I find the meets have a more laid back atmosphere because there's a limited number of judges and they know the coaches and most of the boys. On the boys side here, I see coaches talking to judges about scores without having to do it formally and judges giving guys feedback on routines. When my daughter competed, I never remember that happening on the girls' side.

I wonder if this is why T&T is also much more laid back than girls artistic. My dd had her first T&T meet recently and we were pleasantly surprised at every turn.

I think 3,000 is probably the number for boys level 7 and up. If you take out compulsories that's about right. 50,000 is way off, though.

Prof mom, my state publishes those numbers every year on the girls side, and the number that is showing the most change is the one that says "prep op" WAG, now Xcel. But my state also has 16% of registered Xcel athletes in the country so the trend might be a little dramatic here. In our state since 2009 we have seen some steady growth in the boys program although nothing as dramatic as girls Xcel. The 2012 Olympics helped for the boys side too, and we have gained a few new boys teams in the state since then.

I was thinking that 3,000 seemed low, just because for state this year we are expecting 350 boys. But yeah, 50,000 seems way, way high.

I have two girls who compete and one boy. We do cheer at the girls' meets about the same as at DS's... The way the kids act at the meets is different. The girls have to walk on and off floor "pretty", the boys don't seem to worry about anything except the time between saluting. I also feel like the girls get hit a bit more, especially on floor, for bent legs/ unpointed toes. But that is just the feeling I get. Around here, the boys often eat their snacks during the competition, girls seem to have to wait for awards. I think overall, there are more uptight parents for girls, super worried about scores; but I do see some if that on the boys side.

I have never been to a girls meet, but from what I read on here it does seem like the boys meets are more laid back. I think it is just easier to get to know other coaches and teams when there aren't as many of them. And because of the lower numbers and the lack of an Excel equivalent, it seems like it's easier for a boy who wants to compete to get the opportunity to do so. Our coach will take older kids onto team, and their first year of competition is generally kind of rough. But if they stick with it and want to get better, it's amazing the progress they can make in a year. They're not expected to have great form or a ton of skills before they start. I've read so many posts from girl parents agonizing over whether their daughter will get picked for team, and it seems like to get on team they have to learn to be a gymnast before they've been trained as a gymnast.

As far as parents go, I think that will just depend on the individual. My kids also play rec league baseball, which is supposed to be laid back. Some of the kids are there just because they like wearing the uniform and getting a snack after the game, but some of those parents are way too invested in their kid's performance. A mom on one of our teams would yank her 6yo out of the dugout and scream at him after every mistake. I have never seen that at a gymnastics meet.

I looked our our numbers from the state competition last year, and we had just under 350 boys for an average sized state, so 3,000 does seem a little low if that includes all boys registered with USAG.

My oldest DS competed for about 6 years. He has since moved on to another sport. I have become a lower level judge for boys/men's gymnastics...I find judging a boys comp less stressful than helping with scoring for a girls comp! Much more laid back and lots of smiles... Even from the higher level guys who have different judges... And very much a friendly atmosphere... The coaches and athletes from the various gyms know each other by name and will help each other out....like if a coach is with another athlete, a coach from another team will lift to rings or highbar, or even watch and encourage through warmup and compete... They all encourage each other. Girls comps where I live feel much more stressful...and the judging is much harsher...

On a side note, I don't think the judging is actually "easier" at our boys meets than the girls - deductions are all taken - esp by certain judges. Its just that the judges also tell the coaches, and sometimes the boys, what they can do to improve and what they did well pretty much each time. For instance, at a recent meet the rings judge was very particular...there were a few kids getting reasonable scores, but my oldest won rings (for all age groups actually, L7) with an 8 something.....one kid on our team got a 10, and one got a 3.9....and he was state champion last year before moving up. Judge was super nice about it - just told the boys he took "every deduction possible"...and to keep working hard. The boys were initially bummed beyond belief to see the scores (probably my older kid with the 8 something more that the kid with the 3) but after talking to the judge and seeing their placements, laughed and had a nice lunch...Whereas DD old team still talks about the "unfair" practices that occurred at a certain big meet they used to go to - per the advice of their old coach - unfair being strict judging that led them to not score as high as expected....no shaking it off at all.

And mind you, the really talented boys do get 10-11s (higher of course in optionals) by state/regionals....so maybe part of what we see is related to the average boy gymnasts not being driven away before they hit puberty and can really improve....

That may be a regional thing though. The judges around here never talk to the athletes, though they will occasionally talk to the coaches. DS's coach, with his level 6 sessions, has taken to checking in with the rings judge prior to his boys competing to see what the rings judge will require to award bonus credit for an inlocate. At the last two meets, after this conversation, he's pulled out almost all of them from the guys who have them in their routines.

Wow, top score of 8 on rings for the entire session -- yikes! I'm guessing it may have been the same thing about no-rise inlocates and dislocates plus ring turnout. At last week's session, guys were winning with 10s, only a few of whom got them, and no one was in the 11s.

That may be a regional thing though. The judges around here never talk to the athletes, though they will occasionally talk to the coaches. DS's coach, with his level 6 sessions, has taken to checking in with the rings judge prior to his boys competing to see what the rings judge will require to award bonus credit for an inlocate. At the last two meets, after this conversation, he's pulled out almost all of them from the guys who have them in their routines.

Wow, top score of 8 on rings for the entire session -- yikes! I'm guessing it may have been the same thing about no-rise inlocates and dislocates plus ring turnout. At last week's session, guys were winning with 10s, only a few of whom got them, and no one was in the 11s.
Yeah, DS L7 had a fall on rings at his first meet and still scored a high 9 - and my L6 scored a mid 8, compared to his 5.5 the next meet - with a similar routine overall - lots to polish and a bad back up-rise! The bonus issue is one the older boy is very aware of - he will RARELY do a bonus unless his coach makes him!!! My 10 year old, however, is just this year starting to think about "form deductions".

Oh, and there were only about 7 L7s for the whole meet - it was small, so "winning" the session with a high 8 must be taken in context - still, I do like that the boys will be joking about these scores instead of acting scarred by them like the similar leveled girls!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back