WAG Front Sole Circle to Handstand? What is that?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I found something on youtube today while searching for some good bar drills.

I did know that there was a front sole circle, off course. It Is pretty easy, I think. I sometimes have my girls working front to back sole circles in a row.

However, I didn't know that you could do a front sole circle to handstand?

Of course, some of my girls do a Toe On Toe Off, also called Toe Handstand or whatever. It is basically the same motion as a stalder with the late toe drop, but I just find that a lot easier and I like it because it is very easy to spot and can be worked alone also. I have the girls getting off the bar earlier and earlier and against a mat until they reach the handstand, which is a little tricky sometimes!

But then I found this video of a front toe circle to handstand. I looked it up and it is also a C in the Code!

But isn't that super easy??? Basically, all she does is casting to handstand in reverse grip, then does an easy front sole circle to stand on the bar and presses up to handstand? How is that a C? Or am I completely wrong and it is as hard as the Toe On Handstand?

here is the video:

Sorry, I am confused!

yes, you are. :) it's a toe on toe up going forward. they are very difficult and probably 100 times harder than going backward which is why you never see these.

what she is doing will lead to an inbar Endo and possibly inverts/Lgrip.

and i'm not Bruno, thank God cause he's an idiot, but that skill should be a "D". :)

yes, you are. :) it's a toe on toe up going forward. they are very difficult and probably 100 times harder than going backward which is why you never see these.

what she is doing will lead to an inbar Endo and possibly inverts/Lgrip.

and i'm not Bruno, thank God cause he's an idiot, but that skill should be a "D". :)
=
I always scratch my head that an Endo is a C, which is way harder than a stalder. Makes zero sense except maybe they just don't want to see them? But Stalder blind direct to Endo is a great series but only worth C+C, Same as Freehip to toe shoot..... Which one would I use,,,, hmmmm,,,, They really need to rework the code. I am also frustrated by all the level 9 routines with a toe hect that I see in level 10 scoring in the low 9's, meanwhile a kid goes up and throw a Major release along with a bail and a toe hect, gets dinged for the height of the major and ends up with a lower score???? Really? Not right and yet here we are years later with the same system..... No major in 10 should be at least .4 (Majors being Shapo's and single bar D releases). Last year I watched several kids pull out Majors at regionals, squeek by with a 9.2 and make it to Nationals, mean while other kids made majors got height or forum dedcutions and scored the same or lower, or they missed and got taken competely out. The system is broken.

=
I always scratch my head that an Endo is a C, which is way harder than a stalder. Makes zero sense except maybe they just don't want to see them? But Stalder blind direct to Endo is a great series but only worth C+C, Same as Freehip to toe shoot..... Which one would I use,,,, hmmmm,,,, They really need to rework the code. I am also frustrated by all the level 9 routines with a toe hect that I see in level 10 scoring in the low 9's, meanwhile a kid goes up and throw a Major release along with a bail and a toe hect, gets dinged for the height of the major and ends up with a lower score???? Really? Not right and yet here we are years later with the same system..... No major in 10 should be at least .4 (Majors being Shapo's and single bar D releases). Last year I watched several kids pull out Majors at regionals, squeek by with a 9.2 and make it to Nationals, mean while other kids made majors got height or forum dedcutions and scored the same or lower, or they missed and got taken competely out. The system is broken.

wow! you totally understand the problem. and i completely agree! ding, ding, ding! you just about described Parkettes kid that got hosed at level 10 nationals this past season. you must have been there! lol :)

wow! you totally understand the problem. and i completely agree! ding, ding, ding! you just about described Parkettes kid that got hosed at level 10 nationals this past season. you must have been there! lol :)
No I was at home because my kid missed her release and got an 8.725 with a fall and didn't get to go (37.075 didn't even make NIT).... (actually I was in surgery, lol so it was probably a blessing that I didn't have to walk around for another couple of weeks with my arm... )

Thaaaat is significantly harder and more terrifying than the child in that video makes it look. I am impressed with that child, I'd love to see her do a routine!

=
Was at a clinic recently in my state with coaches and judges where this issue was discussed. Gymnasts demonstrated skills and we discussed what deductions should be taken. Level 10 throws a high, dynamic full-in on floor, though with some form issues (ie flexed feet, some leg separation, etc). A brevet judge/coach got up and basically said, if you are taking more than a half a tenth total on that, you are doing it wrong. She just threw an amazing, dynamic, very difficult skill. You should not be taking the same execution deductions you would take on a simpler skill. We want to encourage our coaches and gymnasts to progress and develop dynamic gymnastics. Loved it.

Unless something is in writing, the problems will continue. Level 10 is for Major releases. IMO, they should up the bonus to .6 required but make the last tenth gained worth .2. In other words you get a .1 bonus for having all .5. And a routine that does not have a major in it, (single bar D, or shapo, malloney etc..) should get a mandatory, .3 for not having it and an additional .2 for a routine that is not up to the standard of that level. And while they are at it apply the same bonus rule to level 9, if you have full bonus you should get an extra tenth. I am so tired of watching kids do the extra bonus and getting a tenth off for minor deductions. So what say you people, shall we start a drive? .3 in level 9 gets a .1 bonus and .5 in 10 gets a .1 bonus, no major in 10 eliminates the possibility of getting the .1 and gets a bigger deduction.

Unless something is in writing, the problems will continue. Level 10 is for Major releases. IMO, they should up the bonus to .6 required but make the last tenth gained worth .2. In other words you get a .1 bonus for having all .5. And a routine that does not have a major in it, (single bar D, or shapo, malloney etc..) should get a mandatory, .3 for not having it and an additional .2 for a routine that is not up to the standard of that level. And while they are at it apply the same bonus rule to level 9, if you have full bonus you should get an extra tenth. I am so tired of watching kids do the extra bonus and getting a tenth off for minor deductions. So what say you people, shall we start a drive? .3 in level 9 gets a .1 bonus and .5 in 10 gets a .1 bonus, no major in 10 eliminates the possibility of getting the .1 and gets a bigger deduction.

It's too bad something like this wasn't established for this JO cycle. I also would have liked to see the level 3 bar routine re-worked.

As you all seem to be really experienced bar coaches here - do you teach your kids kip stoop throughs once they have decent kips? Are those had to get?

And if, would it be better to work them on the metal bar first or start on real bar from the beginning?

Are you a fan of metal bars or strap bars?

As you all seem to be really experienced bar coaches here - do you teach your kids kip stoop throughs once they have decent kips? Are those had to get?

And if, would it be better to work them on the metal bar first or start on real bar from the beginning?

Are you a fan of metal bars or strap bars?

you should know this if you are a coach...

and if you were a former "level9 100 years ago".

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back