WAG Is this the norm for training in the TOPs, Hopes & Elite Community???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello gymislife,

I think I know what gym you are. I know that your gym has never had Elites. Currently your gym may be entering the world of Tops and Hopes. If this is the case could you clarify that please. That would clarify the voracity of the poster for some of the readers here.

I certainly understand and am able to visualize what you're saying. I've lived it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello gymislife,

I think I know what gym you are. I know that your gym has never had Elites. Currently your gym may be entering the world of Tops and Hopes. If this is the case could you clarify that please. That would clarify the voracity of the poster for some of the readers here.

I certainly understand and am able to visualize what you're saying. I've lived it. :)

Dunno

I have TOPS and HOPES hopefuls.

Wow! Didn't see that coming...Just goes to show how small the gym community is.

Good luck OP & hope your dd enjoys her life in gym and reaches her goals.

Reactions: sce
To OP, I think what is confusing everyone and causing this much controversy is not just because you used the word "elite" but because the title of your thread is confusing. Including the words "Tops, Hopes and Elite" is vital to your question. Is it normal for an average JO gymnast? Perhaps not. But in elite training, it may be. So the way you word your title is important.

But what makes your question hard to respond to appropriately is that your daughter is a 10 year old Level 4. Because of this bit of information, I am so sorry to say that it is highly unlikely she will make the TOPS team. Ten is the oldest age that can test for TOPS and most these girls are in Level 8 on the average. At a minimum, you need your giants because the TOPS qualifiers are required to do three blinds in a row, if I recall correctly. There are required D skills on beam (I think it is a front aerial) and some C's on floor. Btw, they are merciless on their deductions. Hoped has even tougher requirements. I think you will get the most criticism from members who have more experience in this department because they know what it takes to go this route and based on the information you've provided, it is unlikely your daughter is in this route, yet.

It is unfortunate sometimes how we get a dose of reality. And perhaps we could have been more sensitive. But good luck to your daughter. She will likely have a bright future.

And as far as the "punishment" being appropriate. I think sometimes what a child perceives as punishment, is a coach's way of getting more conditioning in. If your daughter is extremely distressed by these punishments, then it could be excessive and there is no place for that anywhere. I'd just keep my eyes and ears open but not too quickly to jump ship.

He shared observing intense coaches at a L10 meet yelling at their gymnasts and "tearing into them" for falling or messing up their routines. He said at that moment his thought was "do you think the girls wanted to mess up? Do you really think they went into the event thinking, gee I really want to fall? No, they of course want to do their best, but they are human and they will make mistakes and have bad days.

I do not fully agree with this though. Yes, there are coaches that tear their gymnasts apart and that this scenario certainly does exist. But from personal experience, there are many gymnasts who don't put in the effort to do well. There are girls in my daughter's gym in Level 9, some have talent and some not so much, who don't seem to really care. I wonder what they are still doing at the gym. I guess they like it enough to do it but not enough to do well. And this can be frustrating to coaches.

I feel like this thread is a really good example of why having one-on-one conversations is always going to be the best choice when you have an issue. The internet is great for many things, but it's not great for preventing misunderstandings or building successful relationships when you have a conflict.

I feel like this thread is a really good example of why having one-on-one conversations is always going to be the best choice when you have an issue. The internet is great for many things, but it's not great for preventing misunderstandings or building successful relationships when you have a conflict.

you're not the nut that just broke the record for being in a hot air balloon are ya? couldn't help but notice that above your name. :):):)

CB

I feel like I have to clear the air because many things in the original post was not clear nor true. I read every post and can tell you I read good things. Nevertheless, the perception of the truth is foggy. I as a coach of the gymnast trying out at my gym or any of my 11 athletes was assigned 5 rope climbs for every skill missed nor will they ever. The assignment was 5 series in 5 min. Every series that you are short at the end of 5 minutes you have 1 rope climb, I do different activities to keep pressure on the girls, however everyone including the DD of the try out finished except 1 gymnast who only had 3 rope climbs. Next, the gymnast that split the beam was consoled first by the beam coach. Then I as the head coach explained to the gymnast that if you do things like, straddling your legs while going for a roundoff dismount, you are going to split the beam and that a silly thing to do. Yes, I said no more cry after she had her moment of tears. I know I would have cried!!! Third, I had 3 bars and 5 side stations why is everyone standing around the chalk bucket and missing bar routines 2 days before a meet? With 5 min remaining in practice I stated degrip go to the rope and give me 20 in actuality the girls never got to 10. Because we only had a few minutes left. My rules are simple! I don't mind parents watching because I have nothing to hide. I'm very loud because my voice is deep so everything said can be heard plus I have to talk over a radio, class coaches and children. Finally, all of my gymnast are in a happy, healthy environment that's why they come to my gym because I care. I want every kid to leave my program either being college or just done with the sport saying I remember that coach he was hard, but he treated me right! Like I have with my old coaches. I do feel if there was a issues it should have been brought to my attention immediately instead to a forum like this. But I will handle this situation Monday. Thank you!!!

Thanks for sharing your side of the story, definitely sheds some light on some things. Good luck in resolving the issue, I guess you were not sure what you were getting into!

CB

I feel like I have to clear the air because many things in the original post was not clear nor true. I read every post and can tell you I read good things. Nevertheless, the perception of the truth is foggy. I as a coach of the gymnast trying out at my gym or any of my 11 athletes was assigned 5 rope climbs for every skill missed nor will they ever. The assignment was 5 series in 5 min. Every series that you are short at the end of 5 minutes you have 1 rope climb, I do different activities to keep pressure on the girls, however everyone including the DD of the try out finished except 1 gymnast who only had 3 rope climbs. Next, the gymnast that split the beam was consoled first by the beam coach. Then I as the head coach explained to the gymnast that if you do things like, straddling your legs while going for a roundoff dismount, you are going to split the beam and that a silly thing to do. Yes, I said no more cry after she had her moment of tears. I know I would have cried!!! Third, I had 3 bars and 5 side stations why is everyone standing around the chalk bucket and missing bar routines 2 days before a meet? With 5 min remaining in practice I stated degrip go to the rope and give me 20 in actuality the girls never got to 10. Because we only had a few minutes left. My rules are simple! I don't mind parents watching because I have nothing to hide. I'm very loud because my voice is deep so everything said can be heard plus I have to talk over a radio, class coaches and children. Finally, all of my gymnast are in a happy, healthy environment that's why they come to my gym because I care. I want every kid to leave my program either being college or just done with the sport saying I remember that coach he was hard, but he treated me right! Like I have with my old coaches. I do feel if there was a issues it should have been brought to my attention immediately instead to a forum like this. But I will handle this situation Monday. Thank you!!!
Perfect reminder of how small the gym world is and that this forum is not anonymous. Also why it is important for one to know both sides of the story. As much as we want to believe our children are telling the truth, we have to remember that they often perceive events very differently than reality (for better and for worse). And while this happens a lot more with younger kids, even teens fall prey to this. That's not to say they are lying. They just don't always read events correctly. After we get both sides, then you can appraise the situation more accurately.

Last edited:
Wow, this thread took a few turns. I have no experience with gyms that train higher level athletes, but did wonder if there was more to the story of what happened at practice. I hope you find a situation where your dd cant thrive in the gym. Take this journey one step at a time. Don't focus so much on where it could go that you and she forget to enjoy now.

I don't intend for this to be rude. I promise--I know how hard it is to interpret tone when online. But I honestly think that the OP must be confused to some degree. Maybe the coach used the wrong words or mislead her? Her gymnast is a Level 6 (I am guessing based on all of the comments) and age 10. I don't know of a coach or a gym who would start talking about a Level 6 who just now getting giants going elite. I am NOT saying that the gymnast isn't talented. Perhaps she is. But elite isn't even part of the terminology...isn't even part of the conversation...at this stage. My guess is that the term elite was used in a different context, thus confusing everyone, even the OP.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back