WAG She wants to cut out some hours....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

If my DD goes one day less, but works twice as hard, surpasses her group in skills and progress then I think it's the right thing for her. Two of the other girls in her group have overuse injuries. A couple of others are in schools with a lot of homework and miss also. One is young and the parents don't bring her everyday either. Believe me, I don't WANT this! I prefer her to want to go everyday, and be awesome, BUT I have to listen to her!

She will not be able to take a day off all the time, but if she has had a long school day, and has lots of homework, I don't see the harm........however, I have heard many times about the girls getting in trouble for being late, (due to HW) and also getting flack because of leaving early.......I think sometime coaches inadvertently scare the kids into just not going instead of being late.....isn't it better to come for two hours, than not at all?

When she is training L7, she will have to step it up.....or else, no L7..... Period.

I might get some flack for this, but I don't think advanced level classes in pre-collegiate grade levels (such as AP classes and certain college prep classes) are very important. Often, they don't even transfer towards college credits or anything meaningful at all. I've heard stories of kids taking almost every class at an AP level in high school, and then having to redo it all anyway when they got into college because it didn't go towards anything. They had nothing to show for it.

Now I definitely know school is very important, and I feel that every child should receive a quality education, but she's learning loads of things in gymnastics too that will help her in life, things that are guaranteed to help her. For instance, the concept of working incredibly hard for something you want and desire deeply, and achieving it at all costs; that is something that will help her for the rest of her life, and that's fact. However, knowing how to factor quadratic equations is likely to be pretty useless unless she pursues a career that requires it.

Now what I'm getting at with all of this is that she needs to learn how to manage her time, as well as prioritize the things that take up her time. I think it's great that she's on honor roll, and an incredibly hard working gymnast (very admirable), but she has to figure out which is more important and which benefits her more in life. After all, it's not always just gymnastics that can burn a kid out; why waste hundreds of hours on extremely difficult classes in school that she may never have need for? Focusing on advanced classes for a single subject she really likes, while taking standard level classes for the rest would be more beneficial

All this aside, if she is visibly tired and being worn out, you are a wonderful mother who is concerned and trying to do her duty by seeking out help for her. She is giving you signs that she needs a break with something. A bit of time off may be great, and in the meantime, ideas for a more efficient school and gym schedule can be brainstormed.

I might get some flack for this, but I don't think advanced level classes in pre-collegiate grade levels (such as AP classes and certain college prep classes) are very important. Often, they don't even transfer towards college credits or anything meaningful at all. I've heard stories of kids taking almost every class at an AP level in high school, and then having to redo it all anyway when they got into college because it didn't go towards anything. They had nothing to show for it.

Now I definitely know school is very important, and I feel that every child should receive a quality education, but she's learning loads of things in gymnastics too that will help her in life, things that are guaranteed to help her. For instance, the concept of working incredibly hard for something you want and desire deeply, and achieving it at all costs; that is something that will help her for the rest of her life, and that's fact. However, knowing how to factor quadratic equations is likely to be pretty useless unless she pursues a career that requires it.

Now what I'm getting at with all of this is that she needs to learn how to manage her time, as well as prioritize the things that take up her time. I think it's great that she's on honor roll, and an incredibly hard working gymnast (very admirable), but she has to figure out which is more important and which benefits her more in life. After all, it's not always just gymnastics that can burn a kid out; why waste hundreds of hours on extremely difficult classes in school that she may never have need for? Focusing on advanced classes for a single subject she really likes, while taking standard level classes for the rest would be more beneficial

All this aside, if she is visibly tired and being worn out, you are a wonderful mother who is concerned and trying to do her duty by seeking out help for her. She is giving you signs that she needs a break with something. A bit of time off may be great, and in the meantime, ideas for a more efficient school and gym schedule can be brainstormed.
I do agree and it is a temporary solution only. Once she can have a little time to get her things in order, she will have to increase. I know she will be able to and she will be fine......I really think she is trying to just have a little 'say' that's all I do think some give and take is also valuable. She's in 4th grade, and she made her goal of A honor roll just now, so that goal is done. :)

First, my older (10 yo) dd does 20 hours per week over 5 days. She had been doing 12 hours until October when she added a conditioning day and went up to 15 hours. In December she changed gyms and went to 20 hours. I talked to the hc about it before making the change and we both agreed that if it is a week that she is tired ir it has a lot going on it won't be a problem for her to miss a practice. Basically we consider her doing 16 hours with a bonus 4 more. I'm sure next year, when she is competing again (she is in the swap from compulsory season to optional season) that the 20 hours will be needed; but for now the coach and I are on the same page with her easing into it. I do let the coach know if she is going to miss a day.

As for school vs gym. IMO, school is more important. I tell my kids not to count on sports scholarships, their goal needs to be academic scholarships. For now my kids are in elementary school; but the foundations for their expectations regarding school are being laid now. I want them to expect good grades in challenging subjects and do the work it takes to get there. My kids' coaches agree and tell the kids school comes first.

I disagree I'm personally in honors and ap classes not for the credit but regular classes are boring to me, and also it prepares you for the work load you get in college. I'm up most nights till at least 11 finishing homework. I want to be a kindergarten teacher non of these things I'm learning are gonna help me in the long run but gymnastics has taught me not to just do the very minimum

Gymnastics and the rest of life (including school) is always a balancing act. There have been years when my kids did great with 16-20 hours of gym, plus school at above grade level work, and serious music...and years when we had to scale back, including gym (can I say puberty!). I always think an honest discussion with coach and child is in order. At one point my DD was frustrated (at old L5) and added ballet to her already packed schedule, but after speaking with coaching staff about backing off on her gym hours, we ended up increasing instead and she took off, did L6 in a couple months and happily moved on to a successful season at L7. And then there have been times when we've decided as a "team" to back off a bit on gym. She wasn't actually ready to do less gym, she was frustrated with what she was doing at gym...

It is important to be honest with the coaching staff and your kid, though. By backing off from 20 hours this year (after taking time off to re-evaluate), DD understands that it will take her longer to get her L8 skills back - its just the truth. And when she did try to do her L8 tumbling pass after 4 months of time off/2-3 days a week - she landed it but sprained both ankles - because she's not as strong as she's used to being. This is the truth about mid-upper level gym - those hours may not be necessary at L3-6 but they really to play a role in both success and more importantly safety later on....Her ankles are back to normal now after 10 days - but it really stunk!

Its a marathon, not a sprint - just like academics. I do think that in 4th grade school/workload should not be stressing a kid out so much they are having difficulty enjoying extracurricular activities - if that's the case either the kid may not be able to do both as they hit the academics that start to matter (high school), or the approach to academics should be re-thought. For instance, my oldest is a gifted musician, a good gymnast (L8 next year), a bright kid, and has severe dyslexia as well as being a very slow processor academically. He can test in the top percentile in certain areas and the bottom 10 in others....its crazy on paper. In public school he'd be in very basic courses in certain areas, and would be working for hours every night after school to keep up with workload. We have always homeschooled, and his testers and tutors have repeatedly encouraged that to continue. He's heading to high school grade level next year and he and I are doing lots of soul searching about what will be important to complete his education. If he does not pursue professional violin playing seriously in the next year or 2, he wants to go to college in other areas - HE has to decide soon, and how 20 hours of gym a week will fit in - ? I don't know if it can either way....

Most of the time, when kids your DD age need a break - they just need a break, a bit of down time - does she ever get to play anymore??? Take the time now - it will just get more intense - all of it!!

A lot of kids that take the AP classes fail to realize that they have to take the corresponding AP TEST and score WELL (or their class has to actually be taught by someone who is affiliated with a college and they get the actual college credit for passing the class). The students (and their parents) think that if they pass the class and the final exam, then they get the college credit.
This is the guidance department's fault for not making it clear.
This year, the AP exam dates are May 4-8 and May 11-15, with late testing dates May 20-22.

If it is done correctly, then the credits DO transfer to almost any college in the US, getting the student out of a basic class... and it IS worth it because the test ($91-139 plus $45 if needing to take it at late testing plus whatever your school charges to proctor) is cheaper than the tuition for a class.

I wish we had AP courses at my high school when I was there... as it was, I took calculus ... then got the highest math placement in college (so credit for 1 class), but no credit for an actual calculus class.

Gymnastics DOES teach a lot of life skills, etc, BUT I think a foundation to do well in college is just as, if not more important (as someone who went to college for about 12 years total).

As the Mom of a student who is well on her way to "fast track" in school, I will share that in our state, the AP classes are absolutely "worth it". My DD is currently in 7th grade but receiving high school credit right now for several of her advanced classes. This will free her up to do what is called Running Start while she is in HS (receiving college credit/taking college classes, AT the college). Yes, it's the local college and certainly not a prestigious Ivy League school, BUT it's free and credits nonetheless and will give her a chance to have a head start in narrowing down what she really wants to do earlier, plus it will keep her challenged in school.

To the OP: at our gym, if you cannot commit to the hours of a certain level, then you aren't in that level. There are other programs for the athletes who aren't willing or able to commit the same amount of hours as everyone else. However, it seems as if your gym is running things differently and this wouldn't be a huge problem. You know your DD best, and if it's already being done by several other girls and this may make the difference between your Dd burning out vs staying in the sport, then go for it.
I think in a lot of gyms this would be perceived as asking for special treatment and lots of parents dislike that. :) Like " what makes her feel that she doesn't need to put in the hours, OUR kids are tired too and have to go all days" kinda thing, KWIM?
As long as your DD (and you!) understand that it MAY mean she won't progress as fast as some of the other girls, and the gym is totally OK with it, then you do whatever is in the best interest of your child. :)

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. The purpose of taking AP classes isn't to only earn college credit. Colleges, even if they don't give you credit for a class, will take into consideration the rigor of the courses you took when it comes time for admittance. If there are two students, both with 4.0 GPA's & both highly active in extracurriculars, but one took mostly regular classes & the other took AP classes, which do you think they will choose? AP also prepared students for the rigor of college courses, so the transition from high school to college is much smoother. Additionally, and I don't know if this is the case at all schools, but at my school, students get 7 points added to PAP classes and 10 points added to AP classes when it is figured into their GPA's. So, if they even want a shot at a decent class rank, AP classes are a must. Personally, I would be bored out of my mind in any regular class. I LOVE learning, and I would feel as if I am cheating myself if I took easy classes to have less work. A strong work ethic isn't only learned in gymnastics! I also have found the AP tests to be fairly easy to get a decent score on. With two days of cramming I scored a 5 (which is the highest possible) on world history last year. And English and history are my weakest subjects. That is the only AP test I've taken so far though so I'll get back to you after I take four more this year ;) I've taken all of the AP/PAP classes my school has to offer for each grade level, and I have no regrets at all. I wouldn't regret it even if I got zero college credit for any if it.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. The purpose of taking AP classes isn't to only earn college credit. Colleges, even if they don't give you credit for a class, will take into consideration the rigor of the courses you took when it comes time for admittance. If there are two students, both with 4.0 GPA's & both highly active in extracurriculars, but one took mostly regular classes & the other took AP classes, which do you think they will choose? AP also prepared students for the rigor of college courses, so the transition from high school to college is much smoother. Additionally, and I don't know if this is the case at all schools, but at my school, students get 7 points added to PAP classes and 10 points added to AP classes when it is figured into their GPA's. So, if they even want a shot at a decent class rank, AP classes are a must. Personally, I would be bored out of my mind in any regular class. I LOVE learning, and I would feel as if I am cheating myself if I took easy classes to have less work. A strong work ethic isn't only learned in gymnastics! I also have found the AP tests to be fairly easy to get a decent score on. With two days of cramming I scored a 5 (which is the highest possible) on world history last year. And English and history are my weakest subjects. That is the only AP test I've taken so far though so I'll get back to you after I take four more this year ;) I've taken all of the AP/PAP classes my school has to offer for each grade level, and I have no regrets at all. I wouldn't regret it even if I got zero college credit for any if it.
AP classes are also based on a 5.0 GPA scale so if you get a 4.0 GPA and you also have a a in the AP class your Shiva 4.25 GPA or around that I did not get to take the AP test this year due to the fact that I just switch schools so I could be closer to the gym and I'm not in the same ap as I was before I was in AP world history AP Euro I won't be able to receive all the Knowledge I would have but I'm still in the class because I what a challengewant to Challygap sc

AP classes are also based on a 5.0 GPA scale so if you get a 4.0 GPA and you also have a a in the AP class your Shiva 4.25 GPA or around that I did not get to take the AP test this year due to the fact that I just switch schools so I could be closer to the gym and I'm not in the same ap as I was before I was in AP world history AP Euro I won't be able to receive all the Knowledge I would have but I'm still in the class because I what a challengewant to Challygap sc
I think my school is probably a little different. We don't have the option for AP in every subject, so you can't really say that it's based on a 5.0 scale, even though you get 10 points added to AP classes. Without the points added, I made a 100 in all of my classes except for one (which was a 99) last year and freshman year, and my GPA is still only a 4.27, and the unweighted is only a 106.75. That was with me taking the most number of AP/PAP classes possible. If it were a 5.0 scale, my GPA would be very close to a 5, since my scores in every class but one were perfect. We use a 4.0 scale at my school regardless of AP classes, but they add 10 points to your average when figuring it into the GPA.

Hmm, I have to disagree. Many colleges (and some states) offer substantial scholarships for academic achievement which are a much more attainable goal than gymnastics scholarships. My son just earned full tuition based on his class rank and test scores which wouldn't have been possible without advanced classes. In our state, kids are "tracked" into these classes starting with their 5th grade test scores.
Sometimes, the value in learning quadratic equations is not in learning the equations, but in struggling with it and not giving up until you figure out how to study, how to learn it, how to prioritize your time, etc. (hmm, a lot like the same benefits from gymnastics.) By your rationale, you could say that learning a Jaeger is pretty useless since you probably won't ever use it again after high school (or college if you are lucky enough to get a spot on a college team.

Slightly off topic but how does taking college classes in high school or high school credit classes in jr high impact NCAA?

Reactions: sce
Slightly off topic but how does taking college classes in high school or high school credit classes in jr high impact NCAA?
It doesn't because you are still a high school student and getting high school credit for the SAME classes (and you are not even considered a Freshman in college - in my state, it is called PSEO). And of course, a college class for high school credit will be accepted by the NCAA because it has a definite time frame in which it has to be completed, it is rigorous enough to prepare you for college, and meets all the other requirements.
It just means that when you go to college FOR REAL, you will go in with credit (like I did after taking French and Math placement exams). You will still have your 4 years of eligibility.

Ooh, interesting question!! My DD taking the advanced classes is a dancer, not an athlete, so not something I have thought about yet.

I think my question was more related to taking courses in jr high that give you high school credit. I felt like, though I'm often delusional, that there were some rules regarding the 4 years of high school and ncaa.

My dd (a H.S. Freshman) entered H.S. with 6 credits from Middle School. She did have an issue with a required computer class that was a virtual class that is not accepted by NCAA, but she is fulfilling her computer requirement this year with an Engineering class, so she is covered. I have not found anything in researching it that prohibits Carnegie (classes taken before high school for H.S.) credit.

See, at MY gym, Xcel does the same hours as the JO girls. In fact, all team members, regardless of level/program, do the same hours.

AP classes are great! I took a lot of AP classes in high school and because of that I am able to double major and do research in Both of those majors and graduate after only 3 years of College.

And I'm saving a fair amount of money.

It sounds like it's a short term thing and it seems like your gym is cool with it, so I say GREAT. At our gym we have a girl who struggles with the fourth hour (mostly she's a crying mess in the morning for school), and she is allowed to leave early one night a week during certain times of the school year. Generally, though, our HC wouldn't be happy about someone not attending a practice/week for a length of time.

As for AP classes, I took a bunch of them back in the day and did my senior year of HS at a local college. I graduated with a BA at 20. It didn't really mean a whole lot in the long term because at 20 I still hadn't a clue as to what I wanted to be when I grew up. I went back to school at 30 for a graduate degree and have a pretty cool career with a bunch of flexibility, so I can't complain.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back