WAG Level 5

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymettemom

Proud Parent
I'm wondering; does anyone else find scores in level 5 low? Is seems The difference between 4 and 5 is huge. DD was an all around state champ at level 4, has all of her level 5 skills with exception of an above horizontal cast on bars, but her scores are rough. She's been to 4 meets so far this season and it's just not getting any better.
Is anyone else finding this with level 5?

Are you seeing the lower scores across the entire meet, ie other gyms as well? By this I mean does a good routine score low, but place where it seems like it should? This happened at a meet my ds was at. His PBar score seemed really low, but it placed second, so it was clear that ALL the scores were low.

If it's more her scores, but not the meet overall then there really could be lots of little things that are hurting her scores, as it's more than just having the skills.

I have been told ( and seen with mymeetscores) that scores in level 5 are in general low.

It's like old L6. Judges get a lot pickier about things like cast angles. Optionals will feel great after a year of L5! Don't sweat it.

Yes, L5 seemed low. DD won 3 meets with mid-35 AA scores, when she had mostly 36-37 AAs in old and new 4.

Oh yes! DD's scores are so much lower this year. She has a hard time getting into the 9's and she used to score 9's easily last year. The 6's at our gym score way higher. She got 8.85 on bars at a meet last night and that was the 3rd highest bar score for the entire meet. She has huge casts that are almost to handstand. I don't know what she could improve. Wish I had recorded her bar routine last night. I am curious if she is missing something.

Are you seeing the lower scores across the entire meet, ie other gyms as well? By this I mean does a good routine score low, but place where it seems like it should? This happened at a meet my ds was at. His PBar score seemed really low, but it placed second, so it was clear that ALL the scores were low.

If it's more her scores, but not the meet overall then there really could be lots of little things that are hurting her scores, as it's more than just having the skills.

I guess what I am noticing is the deductions seem to be harder. A routine that probably would have scored a 9.0 in level 4 is scoring an 8.5 in level 5. I know DD has room for improvement, it just seems the judges are much harder at level 5. I was just wondering if others are seeing that or if I am just crazy.

Yes! It does seem a lot harsher overall this year. At our last meet, the 1st place bars routine in one age division was an 8.85! That entire meet seemed extra tough too (most floor scores were low 8s to high 7s!).

One of my girls just won bars today with an 8.35. And it was a nice routine!
That sounded conceited. My point is that I agree scoring is very strict. They take every deduction they can. Sometimes I don't understand where they find all the deductions but the girls are placing well so I know low scores doesn't mean we're doing something so wrong that other teams aren't.

Better an 8.35 now that sends a gentle reminder about cast angles out of a free hip but still wins than cookie and a 9.35 . . . and down the road, a L7 bars where the free hip doesn't get credit as a B!

I will have to record DD's bar routine this weekend. I think she has high cast angles out of free hip. They do so many awesome drills to work on those angles. She has an amazing bar coach. He is great with working on those casts, free hips, tap swings and baby giants. The scoring is all over the place at these meets. She had her highest score and the first meet back in November when her angles were not as a big. We compete in 2 states in New England and the scoring is very different in the 2 states.

I am sure that is probably the case. DD scored high 37s as a new level 3/old 4 and this year as a new 4 she is seeing much lower scores already. We are excited when she gets a 36 these days. It seems they are much more particular about everything and I bet that will continue to be the case in level 5.

I think of it this way, longer routines, more opportunity for deductions. And yes, on bars there is that pesky clear hip (DD's didn't get credit at 3 of 6 meets) and cast angles.

I think of it this way, longer routines, more opportunity for deductions. And yes, on bars there is that pesky clear hip (DD's didn't get credit at 3 of 6 meets) and cast angles.

I think this is key. Yes, standards and requirements become stricter, but the routines are longer and contain more skills. Both the level 4 and 5 routines basically start at a 10 SV, but the level 5 routines have more skills, which are just more opportunity to deduct.

This pattern of lower scores as you move through the compulsory system has been around for years. It used to be the old level 6 was scored so harshly, that many gyms just scored out to get away from it (I'm sure there was also many other issues as well). When my DD competed old level 6, there were barely enough in the state to justify their own session at the State meet. It seems that the current level 5 is headed in the same direction in some areas.

I think this is key. Yes, standards and requirements become stricter, but the routines are longer and contain more skills. Both the level 4 and 5 routines basically start at a 10 SV, but the level 5 routines have more skills, which are just more opportunity to deduct.

This pattern of lower scores as you move through the compulsory system has been around for years. It used to be the old level 6 was scored so harshly, that many gyms just scored out to get away from it (I'm sure there was also many other issues as well). When my DD competed old level 6, there were barely enough in the state to justify their own session at the State meet. It seems that the current level 5 is headed in the same direction in some areas.

It has been like that in our state. 5's were in with top flight L4's in 2013 and in with all L4's last year.

My DD hasn't gotten to this point yet but I have several friends whose DD's have. In our area, the gyms have the girls do two meets at level 5 (or a level 5 test out meet) and then move on to level 6. I've heard people describe the low scores as "too discouraging" for the girls. They go on to score higher at level 6. Not sure why but it is real.

I've long heard people talk about this level being really low scoring, but have yet to actually see that happening around here. For sure, there are more things to deduct. My DD competed it under the old 6 system and did not see lower scores overall, so I definitely did not think at that time that judges were judging that level any more harshly than other compulsory levels.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back