WAG Any knowledgeable coaches want to weigh in on this?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Albert Pujols raised the possibility of retiring before his 10-year, $240-million contract expires in 2021, but not for the reasons one might think.

The Angels first baseman, who turned 35 in January, is in the fourth year of his deal, and already there has been speculation about whether the 6-foot-3, 237-pound slugger will be able to play at a high level as he approaches 40. Pujols will be 41 in the final year of the contract.

Angels' Josh Hamilton could be out a month longer than expected
Angels' Josh Hamilton could be out a month longer than expected
But Pujols, who arrived at spring-training camp Sunday, said his 9-year-old daughter, Sophia, an elite-level gymnast, could force him from the game if she achieves her goal of competing in the Olympics.

Pujols said Sophia is shooting for the 2020 Tokyo Games, even though current Olympic gymnastic rules require girls to be 16 and Sophia would be 14.

"That might have to be the year I retire," Pujols said. "You can put that in the paper, because I don't want to miss it. … Either that, or they'll have to put me on the disabled list for two weeks."

lRelated
ANGELS
David Freese gets to Angels camp with resculpted body
SEE ALL RELATED
Pujols is a virtual lock to make the Hall of Fame, with a .317 career average, 520 home runs and 1,603 runs batted in, but he is relishing being a cheerleader for his daughter, who won the all-around competition Saturday at a meet in St. Louis.

"It was emotional," Pujols said. "To see her raise that trophy up, the smile and [look] in her eye … there's nothing more precious. My wife and I were sitting next to each other. Tears were coming out of our eyes. I can't imagine if she got the opportunity to go to the Olympics. It would be pretty exciting."

I read that too!!! And, I highly doubt he has enough pull to change the olympic age for his dd!! Saw that she is being called an elite already too!! Hmmm!!

Wow! I'm just speechless that he would publicly state that he is hoping/planning on attending the 2020 olympics because of his daughter. Wow. Bit a pressure on the kid!? Oh and he can change the rules of an international sports governing body? Crazy train

Reactions: sce
No comment on his attitude.

But to lower the age for senior international competition would do the sport a disservice. Already one of the major problems with Women's Artistic Gymnastics is that kids need to get really good at a very young age. It means that kids need to train very high hours prior to going through puberty, and while the kids are actually going through puberty there is rarely time to ensure they can develop properly and safely because its a race to get them to senior international standard as early as possible.

At least with the current age being the year they turn 16, coaches have to pace their gymnasts training enough so that they don't peak at 13.

Its a
Ready very sad, that the vast majority of athletes in this sport have to retire before they even finish high school.

Not a coach but....

He is a proud but gymnastically clueless Dad. And the reporter is clueless too, but thought it would make good copy

Not a coach either, but she is a level 5. She has made a recent gym change so she very well may skip a level or 2 after the summer BUT in the article it said he was kidding and that he said you never know (in reference to the age) because rules are always changing. I think it was nothing more than a proud dad who just got finished watching his daughter have an awesome meet and was joking around with the press.

Not a coach either, but she is a level 5. She has made a recent gym change so she very well may skip a level or 2 after the summer BUT in the article it said he was kidding and that he said you never know (in reference to the age) because rules are always changing. I think it was nothing more than a proud dad who just got finished watching his daughter have an awesome meet and was joking around with the press.

Seems about right.

My niece used to compete against her, but no longer does since my niece scored out of level 5 and is now a level 6 and Sophia is a level 5. They did compete this past weekend at the same time at the St. Louis Classic. And yes Albert was there :) I did not see anything that made me think she was elite or going to the Olympics when she is 14, but what do I know!!

A 9 year old L4. I think dad has stars in his eyes. Child is too young. Using the word Elite and Olympics in the media is a whole lot of pressure.

Pujols should stick to hitting home runs. he's good at that.

My niece used to compete against her, but no longer does since my niece scored out of level 5 and is now a level 6 and Sophia is a level 5. They did compete this past weekend at the same time at the St. Louis Classic. And yes Albert was there :) I did not see anything that made me think she was elite or going to the Olympics when she is 14, but what do I know!!

well, apparently you know more than her father.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back