WAG Continuing... top 10 @ state to move up

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mOm2gymnast<3

Coach
Proud Parent
My old thread went missing... so, here I go again.

continuing on.... we had the parents meeting, was very brief lasted only 30 mins. Hc did say that only those who scored top 10 are moving up.  im worried and my dd is worried.

I didn't see the original post so maybe this was answered but - do they always do this? Do they only ever have a certain number per level? Seems like an odd system of determining who is ready for the next level. Seriously - so if the best gymnast is the gym has a really bad day and scores 11th, he/she really is not going to be moved up? hmmmm

Its disappointing your original post went missing because it was really interesting. I'm glad you continued your post.

How much experience does this coach/gym owner have? It such a stupid idea that I still contend this is an attempt to get girls to quit....if he follows through with it. I can't even follow his logic because, based on age divisions at state, comparing top ten finishers from division to division isnt even comparing apples to apples.

Its disappointing your original post went missing because it was really interesting. I'm glad you continued your post.

How much experience does this coach/gym owner have? It such a stupid idea that I still contend this is an attempt to get girls to quit....if he follows through with it. I can't even follow his logic because, based on age divisions at state, comparing top ten finishers from division to division isnt even comparing apples to apples.

Hc has been coaching for at least 20 years.

I didn't see the original post so maybe this was answered but - do they always do this? Do they only ever have a certain number per level? Seems like an odd system of determining who is ready for the next level. Seriously - so if the best gymnast is the gym has a really bad day and scores 11th, he/she really is not going to be moved up? hmmmm

The lv4 right now at the gym isn't really good. Not placing team, and aa. There may be 1 girl who sometimes get called up for aa and that's 4th or 5th. last year as lv 3 they weren't doing good either. But my dd's lv3 team are always placing team and my dd's is always placing AA on her age group. Might not be 1 or 2. But she places 3 and 4th most of the time. Like any other gymnasts, she has her bad days. She's also in a hard age group. She 7 and competing against 8 or 9 sometimes. She has all the skills to move up and some other girls as well.

When would they start competing the next level anyway? If we're talking next fall, it's crazy early even to be thinking about this for L3 kids. Who knows how slow or fast they will progress in the next several months? You can guess, but much better to wait longer and see where they are.

Yup I think next season starts november. But they train for that level right after state. Which is in 2 weeks. The ones who uptraining are the ones moving up. If gymnast is staying at the current lv, they perfect that level and keep on doing same thing over and over. No uptraining at this gym whatsoever. Sucks. If my dd get held back, I might move her to another gym. Which would suck coz I don't know if it's the right decision and dd will miss everyone. She has been in the gym for 3 years now.

Makes no sense at all. At a meet this past weekend my DD and her teammate both 10 but in different age groups had the same AA score. Teammate came in 3rd my DD 6th...I don't understand gyms that use places or scores for move ups. To me it should be skills based. And your poor DD having that extra pressure at State. I would start gym shopping....

Our coaches won't officially comment on what level the kids will be until August, and we have kids who routinely take 1,2 and 3 in States, and kids ging to regionals. And we up train.
We pretty much know who is moving up but you won't get confirmation until August.

They would never base it on one meets scores.

Or the coach can have some other weird way of figuring out move ups that you don't understand at all after your daughter places 4th at state with a 37.975 and 1st on beam and is still not moved up.

As much as I don't like the cut & dry cutoff for moving up, do you know typically how many girls are in each age group? If it's 14/15, it doesn't sound quite as daunting.

But I do recall DD's L3 states - she had the lowest score out of our girls, but because of her age group, she placed higher AA than a couple of other girls. Just doesn't seem like a fair way to move up...

I had the same thought. How many in each age division? It should not matter, though, because this is an odd way to determine a team. Maybe HC wants the girls to be motivated to do well at state, but it is an strange approach at best and rather destructive at worst.

What if a child is injured and cannot compete at state but has had a good season and has a really nice skill set? And what if a child does really well at one level but cannot get a skill for the next level, like a kip, in time for competition ? These are legitimate questions and realistic scenarios. Children that do well at one level may or may not be ready in a set time for the next level. These are some of the concerns I would have with this method of selection.

Last year's state, my dd competed as a young 7 although she was only 6 at that time. There were 22 in that age group. My dd took 2 AA with a 37 something.

This season, my dd is in a really hard age group as she is competing against girls that are 8 and 9. She's the youngest the team. Most of the time she places 3 or 4th AA. Every meet this season she had always placed at 2 or 3 events and always within the top 6 AA. And some of these girls that she's competing against are repeaters. In lv3 right now, there are only 2 girls that can do kip. A repeater and my dd.

Don't sweat it too much. I think it's a stupid strategy, but I also think coach has an alternate motivation (aimed at the poorly performing L4 team), so just keep doing what you're doing.

Ours is simple - about a month before season starts, when the first meet registrations are due, there will be a "show it" practice. At that practice, the gymnasts will have three chances to show the skills they need for the level they want to compete. If you can hit them, you can be that level.

Uptraining is done every day, so long as you finish that day's assignment on that event. If the assignment is three bar routines in a row without a fall, and you spend all rotation trying to get it, you don't uptrain that day. If you hit your first three, you spend most of that rotation uptraining.

It seems simple and fair - do your work before you get to do the "extra" stuff, and compete the level at which you can show that you have the skills.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back