WAG Collegiate gymnasts on Facebook

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mimi

Proud Parent
This is probably going to sound like an odd question but does anyone know if collegiate gymnasts have people who manage Facebook pages or profiles for them? I received a friend request from a college gymnast recently and I obviously do not know her personally. I was wondering if these athletes' pages maybe send out some sort of automated friend requests? I don't know it just seemed odd to get the request out of the blue like that. Anyone out there more savvy with social media than I who could shed some light?

No, that would be highly unusual. Could she possibly have gone to your DD's gym or maybe a camp your daughter went to?

My daughter did go to a camp at her college and she was one of the instructors. But there were 100s of other kids there and it was also a while ago.

Maybe she particularly worked with your child and wanted to see how she was doing. Or, if your gym has a Facebook page and you are active on it, it's possible that another gymnastics person could accidentally friend you especially if they're using a mobile device, it's easy to hit the wrong thing. I'd say just send a private message saying "hi, I noticed your request but I'm not sure if it's an error or not. I am mimikid's mom, she went to XYZ camp so you may know her from that, but I know there were a lot of kids there. Have a great day!" Or something. Then if it was just a mistake she can either say "so sorry, I was looking at the gym Facebook page and must have accidentally hit the wrong button" or if she wanted to friend you because she remembered your daughter, etc.

does she have a lot of friends already? does the activity on her page look legit? if not, consider that it could be someone impersonating.

@gymbeam I thought about that too but her page looks very legit. Updates about her meets, lots of team pictures, etc. I'm no expert but it looks like a legitimate Facebook page. She has some cute little personal posts about homework and stuff but it is mostly gymnastics. @coachp, I already accepted her friend request as my DD idolizes her and pretty much her whole team so it was a no-brainer! :)

Most of the college gymnasts here manage their own pages. The actual team has someone that manages their page. I would say if her page looks legit, then friending is fine. She probably does remember your daughter.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back