WAG Eating before practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Before practice she needs carbs (preferrably complex ones that take time for her body to burn). Save the big protein helping for after practice when it will be most beneficial to the body.
Absolutely. Also make sure the protein meal is eaten relatively soon, no more than a half hour after practice. This will ensure the proteins are fully utilized in muscle repair.

My DD has some turkey and bread before practice and a fruit smoothly during snack break and on the way home. Then we eat our dinner after practice at about 8:30-9:00.

DD eats PB crackers or energy bites before practice, and I've been encouraging a homemade protein shake afterwards (no chemicals).

Before practice she needs carbs (preferrably complex ones that take time for her body to burn). Save the big protein helping for after practice when it will be most beneficial to the body.
Absolutely. Also make sure the protein meal is eaten relatively soon, no more than a half hour after practice. This will ensure the proteins are fully utilized in muscle repair.

This is what we learned as well, from a sports nutritionist. (Research nutrient timing for maximum benefit for athletes.) Years ago, our girls had a similar schedule (practice after public school day). As mentioned, these tiny bodies don't take much to fill up, but they do need to eat, often several times a day, and during the middle of school (after lunch) isn't s surprise. Where schools balk, a doctor's note mentioning nutritional needs at specific times often helps facilitate agreement. One quick, simple & portable after-school/before practice snack we used was peanut butter & honey sandwiches...simple and complex carbs, and a bit of protein. Perfect for the 30 minute ride to gym (usually gone within 5).

When gymnasts live far from gym (> 30 minutes) a good recovery drink is ideal as between workout and the protein meal. And this doesn't need to be fancy...chocolate milk is very popular, and effective with a near ideal combination of carbs (energy restoration) and protein (muscle repair).

I agree that maybe she is eating too much right before practice. My DD has a very similar schedule and we do a snack around 3:15 (crackers, yogurt, cheese etc), she has snack midway through practice and then dinner after practice usually around 8:30. Not ideal, but it works for us. I think it is ideal to have a "big" meal at least 2-3 hours before significant physical effort.
My DD also has a very similar schedule to this -- minus the snack midway through (4 hour) practice (coach won't allow) -- so yes, she is always starvvvviiinnnng by 8:30 p.m. - but we manage.

We do a larger lunch meal and then something light before practice. We like smoothies because then she can take it to the gym and sip on it during practice for extra energy if she needs it. I try not to let her eat anything an hour before because of stomach problems...

We do a larger lunch meal and then something light before practice. We like smoothies because then she can take it to the gym and sip on it during practice for extra energy if she needs it. I try not to let her eat anything an hour before because of stomach problems...

What kind of smoothie do you usually get? I'm trying to make my dd drunk smoothie before practice but she usually doesn't drink it. She opts for junk food :(

I find if they are picky I let them make their own food. Smoothies for us are a scoop of ice cream, a banana and then fruit of choice and milk. Mine like the forest fruits so I keep them in the freezer and add as much as is needed

I find if they are picky I let them make their own food. Smoothies for us are a scoop of ice cream, a banana and then fruit of choice and milk. Mine like the forest fruits so I keep them in the freezer and add as much as is needed
Big topic here right now. Pretty much no frozen berries in Australia at the moment. Several people caught Hep A from ones packaged in China and they're all off the shelves!

There have been 18 cases of Hep A in Australia from frozen berries from China since January. Apparently there have been cases in the US and Europe linked to the berries in the last few years as well.

All berries from the affected factories are going to be screened going in to Australia (not actually let through), other factories are also suspected. There were rumors about the fertilizer used, but I haven't read that closely.
It's hard to tell by the labeling here how much of the product is imported, there is talk about changing the labeling requirements. These were labelled something like "local and imported products".

http://www.smh.com.au/national/froz...ozen-product-sale-slumps-20150223-13m8e7.html

What kind of smoothie do you usually get? I'm trying to make my dd drunk smoothie before practice but she usually doesn't drink it. She opts for junk food :(

I thought I had replied to this already, but I can't find it...

We go to Costco and buy bananas, frozen berries, et cetera. They freeze really well. We normally have orange juice, apple juice, and keifer on hand. The kids put what we have or what they want into their smoothie. I also keep fresh fruit, deli meats, and crackers on hand for a quick grab-and-go snack in the car :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back