WAG Repeat Lv3 or push to Move up Lv4

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

How large are your brackets at States? Here we have something like 15 girls per bracket. My DD placed 12th (I think) last year. While she was very close to her kip at final move ups (started making it a few weeks post deadline), it was a good thing for her to repeat this year. Sure, she is enjoying the podium and the medals and trophies, but the real benefit has been in solidifying her basic skills. Her robhs is now ready to add that 2nd bhs where it really wasn't after her first season. She is not a powerful gymnast, but she is starting to click with it.

Now, on the other side, she has 2 team mates who repeated with her who really haven't shown the growth that my DD has. Their routines and scores are consistent with last years. They did not have a kip at move ups (and both were lower than 10th at States) but probably would have been better served to move up.

My DD was disappointed to not move up, but has really stepped into a role of leader in the team and has come such a long way in her own gymnastics this year.

I think it depends how well she has the skills. Are the kips straight arms? Is her vaulting and tumbling powerful? We had a mom who insisted that her daughter move up because she "had" the skills even though the coaches knew better. She has not had a good season. I don't think she has completed a meet all season without at least one fall on bars or beam. Casts and clearhips are still not to requirement. She should have repeated. Sometimes the coaches do know best.
I do not agree with a placement at states being the only measurement used for move-up but I do find that scores are more often than not a good indicator of whether a kid will be ready or not. Certainly not always. But maybe if she doesn't do well at states you can point out other meets where she has done well score or placement wise.

It seems like she has almost a year until her next season. That's a long time for a kid. If she were to move up to level 4, she would likely have a year at increased hours to learn the new skills. If that's something she wants, and you have the option, I would move her up. I don't think the emphasis should be on winning at these lower levels. It should be about getting better. The question should be, which placement would likely most improve her gymnastics. If your dd is mentally and physically prepared to train level 4, my suggestion would be to move her to level 4.

here in the uk it goes by birth date as far as competing goes my dd needs to stay in her class as the other girls are turning 8 so will compete with 8-9 year olds so she will have another year competing as a 6-7 year old . I guess by the time she is 8 she will have the skills needed to move forward and this is why they do it this way here .

In the UK, a gymnast's age defines what age they compete against but not at what level. What skills they compete are defined by the level/grade they are competing. You will find a hugely varying range of abilities between differently-streamed gymnasts, even within one age group. There are minimum ages and out of age options.

As a parent, would you rather let repeat your soon to be 8 year old dd in lv 3 and score high (she will be competing as a young 9 @state next season 2016), or would you rather see her in Lv 4 and maybe once in a while or rarely gets up in the podium?

I am having a hard time deciding. I just spoke with HC today and her rule of move up didnt change. Place top 10 @state we talk and discuss move up, place top 5 @state and its automatic move up. I am having a difficult time understanding her but thats in a different thread. ;)

Do gyms really have rules like these? If an age group has 75 kids in it, and your DD gets 11th, she can't move to Level 4? Even though she has the skills? Age groups can be upwards of 70 plus gymnasts. Under your gyms rules, most of the kids would be stuck indefinitely at level 3. I would also strongly suggest that success at Level 3 does not necessarily equate to success later on. If she has the skills (and can do them competently) she should move up. Being top 5 or 10 at state should not even be in the mix of decision making. What if there are an unusual number of good gymnasts, or you just have a hard age group. Makes so sense.

As a parent, would you rather let repeat your soon to be 8 year old dd in lv 3 and score high (she will be competing as a young 9 @state next season 2016), or would you rather see her in Lv 4 and maybe once in a while or rarely gets up in the podium?

Our gym, up trains. And they would rather the girls be more successful at a lower level. This was my girl last year and why she was level three, but it was about the skills not the placement.

I think it depends how well she has the skills. Are the kips straight arms? Is her vaulting and tumbling powerful? We had a mom who insisted that her daughter move up because she "had" the skills even though the coaches knew better. She has not had a good season. I don't think she has completed a meet all season without at least one fall on bars or beam. Casts and clearhips are still not to requirement. She should have repeated. Sometimes the coaches do know best.

If you have the basic skills of the required level and you are months away from your needing them at a meet, and you are in the gym for what, at least 9 hours a week how can you not improve?

I don't think any one said to definitely move up. Most of us said it should be about skills not scores. And a decsion should be made closer to the new season.

You can't get better at Level 4 skills when much of practice time is devoted to level 3 stuff because you are at that level. All our Level 3 girls have their level 4 skills. Not stellar yet because they have been focused on Level 3. Now the season is over, time to work on Level 4 and 5 stuff. In a few months the coaches will have a better idea where they are at and then make decisions.

We had a girl they didn't want to move to Level 3 this year, the parent insisted because again, how could you know In July how she would be in Nov?

While not on of our strongest girls, she placed a few times this season. Coach was even gracious enough to tell the parent she was right to insist.

My daughter is usually a first place finisher AA. And I knew without the kip she wasn't moving.

Scores are relative. At our states a 9.7 vault was 7th place in one age group, 9.5 wouldn't have cut it. So a 9.5 shouldn't move.? And yes I get its one event.

And then we have that mill circle, that they will never do again, ever. They could have a beautiful kip and cruddy mill circle, blow the mill circle at states and not move? Seems ridiculous.

JMO

In the UK, a gymnast's age defines what age they compete against but not at what level. What skills they compete are defined by the level/grade they are competing. You will find a hugely varying range of abilities between differently-streamed gymnasts, even within one age group. There are minimum ages and out of age options.

Lol what an odd rule. Don't know what your age groups are like but here there is max 3 age groups. So 30 girls in the state would have got to move up. Lol most would be stuck in one level forever.
Think last year (system has changed this year) at our club only 3 of the level 4's even qualified to state and don't think any managed top 10, at least pretty sure none placed top 6 AA.

I hate the age thing in the uk at my dds gym there's a girl in the same age as mine born beginning of jan and she's awesome really doing grade 5 she's twisting and gianting without straps on wooden bar my dd is end of December and has to compete against her in the same age group and level

I think that is a ridiculous rule. Not a coach here but just my personal opinion. How a gymnast scores, worse places, has no indication whatever on their readiness to move up. Some gyms keep girls in the compulsory level longer for many obscure reasons. I know some gyms holds girls back for no other reason that to score high at meets. Some can't really coach past compulsory, etc. Does your gym have several successful high level gymnasts? What is the background of the coaches?

This coach has been coaching for more than 20 years and was a junior elite gymnasts during her time. She has 2 lv 10s right now and some 6 up.

I feel like she wants to success next season and really take those wins home. Hence the top 10 rule which is stupid.

My dd is 7, gonna be 8 soon. And yes I am moving her to a different gym if she get held back because of this stupid rule that this hc suddenly came up with. Or maybe take season off and just strictly uptrain or maybe put her in xcel.

My dd has been solid this season placing 3 or 4 AA at every meet.

I'm not a confrontational person and if we leave this gym, I wanna leave in a good note. But knowing this coach and gym, it won't be easy. I have witnessed several people left and it was ugly. :(

Well ugly or not you pay for it. I agree with the post that said many gymnast would never move up if they had to place in the top 10. That's a crazy rule! Placement doesn't equate readiness to move a level, ability to perform skills correctly does! What if the kid is sick, or has a fluke meet or hasn't learned to control nerves at a meet yet. Also if the child has all the level 3 skills and many of the level 4 skills wouldn't it make sense to move her to level four and train as a level four until next years competition season??? I am sorry but winning (or placing in top 10) as a level three doesn't matter in the long run at all.

I hate the age thing in the uk at my dds gym there's a girl in the same age as mine born beginning of jan and she's awesome really doing grade 5 she's twisting and gianting without straps on wooden bar my dd is end of December and has to compete against her in the same age group and level

I hear this a lot. But, if they are competing Grade 5 it really shouldn't matter, as she won't be able to compete those skills for ages.

I never actually thought of looking at it from that point of view I guess I've taken too much notice if the cgm talking about it not being fair and allowed it to cloud my judgement thank you for returning me to the land of the sane!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back