WAG Time to quit gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member 17723

I want your opinions. I am a 14 year old level 4. I am competing level 4, but I train level 5, 6, and 7 as well. I know I'm old for this level. I did it when I was 9, quit when I was almost 11 because my coaches would not spot me, forced me to do skills I obviously couldn't do, etc. I hated it because of that. Around a year later I decided I wanted to start again, so I did, this time at a YMCA. I was 12 and was old level 4. Last year I did new level 3 and was very successful. I got consistent 37 and 38 aa, 9.5s, etc. I moved up to level 4, but it seems I'm always injured. I fractured my finger at the growth plate, chipped a bone in a different area and tore a ligament in September. Then I mildly sprained my ankle tripping on tumbl trak in October. In November/early december I hyperextended my knee in a bh. I have shin splints and I just sprained and strained my ankle falling off beam. As soon as I come back from an injury, I seem to get another. I love the sport but I just wonder if these injuries are my bodies way of saying stop. I'm not sure. I want to keep competing and doing gymnastics but I'm not sure if it's for me anymore. I hate nights that gymnastics is canceled, I love it. Opinions on quitting or staying?

Well, I'm 14 and a level 5, I have two friends who train with me that at 13/14 level 4 too. Really I get used to be the oldest and I only focus on my own skills. The younger girls look up to me like some sort of role model and that's a great feeling. So I would. Say only quit the sport if you hate it. If you still love it stay with it.

An additional thing-I'm suffering from mental blocks too. I lost my high bar kip, got it back. I'm scared to do cartwheels on beam, and vaulting is still on and off. Not that I'm doing much now since I have a sprained ankle, but it is frustrating.

An additional thing-I'm suffering from mental blocks too. I lost my high bar kip, got it back. I'm scared to do cartwheels on beam, and vaulting is still on and off. Not that I'm doing much now since I have a sprained ankle, but it is frustrating.
Have you ever thought of switching to Xcel? If you are working L5-7 skills, you could EASILY do Xcel Gold if your Y offers it. No high bar kip required... don't have to do a cartwheel on beam unless you want to... easier to work around mental blocks.
I would rather you switch to Xcel than quit since you love it... and the bonus is that you are old enough... if you can get healthy and past the mental blocks and have the skills, you can petition into L6 or L7. :)

Not sure what's best for you - but if you still love doing gymnastics, and even with the "normal" increase in injuries that occur at puberty (to almost all the girls - whether in level 4 or 10...), and the "normal" mental blocks that also come at that age, want to be there practicing, trying things etc...then I would say you don't want to quit.

DD quit for 2-3 months this fall. She is 12 and would have been a L8, but still same issues - nagging small injuries, lots of confidence stuff, mental blocks, and for her (like you in past) poor coaching and the emotional stuff that came from that. She missed doing gymnastics - and came back very slowly. Still only training at about half speed as there is simply not enough coaching available to her right now due to overlarge team and comp season for the other girls - so she's getting really good at the stuff she doesn't need help to perfect...but she still wants to be a gymnast - NOT a gym coach, - they aren't the same thing!

Nothing wrong with being an older compulsory gymnast - its not about how far you make it in the sport its about your own personal goals. DD HC emphasizes that all the time - and she was an Olympian, which tells me that she has her head on straight about gymnastics - she told DD come and be on team if you love to do gymnastics - no matter what skills/level. But she also leaves it up to DD to push herself through her blocks - with support.

I love seeing the older girls stick with it - there are a few 14-16 year olds at my kids gym who have "stalled out" for several years now - but still come, practice hard, are supportive of the younger kids and make slow progress toward their own goals.

XCel would be a great option if it existed there, but if not, do what makes you happy and set your own goals - you will learn and grow in and out of gym...and be an example to all the others. If its no longer any fun, and you don't want to flip/jump anymore, then you are done!

Got it. You can get the USAG Jr Instructor thing at 14 so here 14 year olds can be assistants.
We have had SEVERAL gymnasts that had quit over the years that wanted to coach... and 3 of them were recently hired... each one within a week of her 16th birthday (something about not being allowed on payroll until they are 16).
Of course, they can VOLUNTEER as an assistant in the preschool rec classes (with an appropriate coach there with them) at the age of 14.

We have had SEVERAL gymnasts that had quit over the years that wanted to coach... and 3 of them were recently hired... each one within a week of her 16th birthday (something about not being allowed on payroll until they are 16).
Of course, they can VOLUNTEER as an assistant in the preschool rec classes (with an appropriate coach there with them) at the age of 14.
We are USAG as well, just a YMCA gym. We compete both USAG and YMCA. We have lots of 15-6 year old coaches, and if I wanted I could volunteer. I'm old and mature enough, my coaches know me well enough, etc. I've considered it, but I really think I like flipping. Thanks for the input though :D

Not sure what's best for you - but if you still love doing gymnastics, and even with the "normal" increase in injuries that occur at puberty (to almost all the girls - whether in level 4 or 10...), and the "normal" mental blocks that also come at that age, want to be there practicing, trying things etc...then I would say you don't want to quit.

DD quit for 2-3 months this fall. She is 12 and would have been a L8, but still same issues - nagging small injuries, lots of confidence stuff, mental blocks, and for her (like you in past) poor coaching and the emotional stuff that came from that. She missed doing gymnastics - and came back very slowly. Still only training at about half speed as there is simply not enough coaching available to her right now due to overlarge team and comp season for the other girls - so she's getting really good at the stuff she doesn't need help to perfect...but she still wants to be a gymnast - NOT a gym coach, - they aren't the same thing!

Nothing wrong with being an older compulsory gymnast - its not about how far you make it in the sport its about your own personal goals. DD HC emphasizes that all the time - and she was an Olympian, which tells me that she has her head on straight about gymnastics - she told DD come and be on team if you love to do gymnastics - no matter what skills/level. But she also leaves it up to DD to push herself through her blocks - with support.

I love seeing the older girls stick with it - there are a few 14-16 year olds at my kids gym who have "stalled out" for several years now - but still come, practice hard, are supportive of the younger kids and make slow progress toward their own goals.

XCel would be a great option if it existed there, but if not, do what makes you happy and set your own goals - you will learn and grow in and out of gym...and be an example to all the others. If its no longer any fun, and you don't want to flip/jump anymore, then you are done!
Your daughter and I sound so similar (minus the levels). We don't have xcel now, but we are adding it next season. I'm considering switching gyms-it might be the gym that is bothering me. My coaching staff is still on the poor side, although we do have some great coaches. I think maybe switching to a USAG gym and doing xcel and then petitioning into optionals might be the way to go. Thanks :D

Have you ever thought of switching to Xcel? If you are working L5-7 skills, you could EASILY do Xcel Gold if your Y offers it. No high bar kip required... don't have to do a cartwheel on beam unless you want to... easier to work around mental blocks.
I would rather you switch to Xcel than quit since you love it... and the bonus is that you are old enough... if you can get healthy and past the mental blocks and have the skills, you can petition into L6 or L7. :)
I just about have both front and back tucks-one finger spot on bt, more for confidence than not being able to do it. I have the l5 bar routine-since my high bar kip decided to reappear with straight arms today, along with one messy giant that could easily get cleaned up. I have a l7 beam routine minus the dismount, but my hardest vault that would be competable (form) is a handspring. Would I be able to do gold or would I have to do silver?

I would say gold easily if you have L5 bars and vaulting a handspring is good for gold. Beam would fine and floor you need an isolated salto or aerial, and pass with 2 connected flight skills. If you don't have a salto or aerial your second pass can be another 2 connected flight skills. Typically...ROBHS, FT. Aerial, ROBT. Or FHS step out RO. Of course there are other options .

I would say gold easily if you have L5 bars and vaulting a handspring is good for gold. Beam would fine and floor you need an isolated salto or aerial, and pass with 2 connected flight skills. If you don't have a salto or aerial your second pass can be another 2 connected flight skills. Typically...ROBHS, FT. Aerial, ROBT. Or FHS step out RO. Of course there are other options .
I have a sache (did I spell that right?) ariel, ROBHBH, FHS step out ROBH or FHS sep out ROBT. I just can't do a standing tuck yet. Would those passes work?

Yes, you have enough skills to meet requirements. Its chasse, just for future needs of spelling it :)

My 2 cents, don't quit. You love it. You will only be young once. If I still had a young strong body, I'd be back at gymnastics in a heartbeat. But I'm stuck with this 43 year old one, kind of makes it hard.

Could you do trampoline and tumbling anywhere? Might be easier on your body than artistic. I know it's not an option in some areas, but just wanted to throw it out there, worth looking into.

I have a dd about to turn 15 this month , she is a level 4 as well while her younger sister is training level 7 . Due to being hurt like you has held her back and a bhs on beam as well. But I think if she had not spent the season hurt she could have gotten moved up. Have you looked into doing high school gymnastics? Also my dd us a jr coach as well and loves it. Like others have said I think it's a great way to stay in the sport.

And to add my dd does not plan on quitting, she loves the sport and her passion and determination shows to other parents even ( I know cause I get told from the other parents how hard she works even being injured. )

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back