Parents Rant

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymmom826

Proud Parent
I dont understand the deduction for time on beam. I noticed some teams all got hit for it others didn't. When I matched up videos on YouTube they had the exact same time as my dd but weren't deducted.

How on earth can you know if they were deducted or not. Unless someone who went over got a perfect 10?

My DD has been deducted for time on beam and it was listed on her score card. Although, based on video, her beam was the exact same length as when she didn't get deducted, so what do I know.

I haven't either. The only way we know what the specific deductions are is if the coach asks the judge since a lot of the coaches and judges are friends.

There had to be things you didn't see...the gymnast gets a warning 10 seconds before the limit so maybe you saw some of that

You can make yourself nuts over this. It doesn't matter what you see on a video, what matters is the stop watch at the beam.

As I tell my daughter, much like football, its any given Sunday. You can not judge yourself based on one meet.

My girl had one meet this year where she got nailed for time. It is usually never an issue, oh well.

I agree, you will make yourself nuts over this. It's not worth it. I only know that my DD went over time on beam once because she saluted, touched the beam, realized she was on the wrong side, changed sides, saluted, and then mounted. Plus she fell.

Wow! U r going to have to worry less about other gymnasts deductions and your view of "fairness" or competitive gymnastics will put you in the looney bin.

It's a tenth. There's a team around here that routinely takes in compulsories it in order for their girls to show perfect control on their cartwheels and BWOs and to set up their leaps and jumps nicely.

My daughter was routinely OT on her beam routines the first 2 compulsory years. Level 4 & 5, every meet we would joke at the end of beam, "add a 1/10th due to time to that score!" when her scores would flash on the scoreboard and laugh. Her coaches didn't think it was a big deal, we didn't think it was a big deal.

In fact, her coaches told all the girls not to worry about time, just worry about doing their skills. They also made it clear how little a penalty OT was.

By the beginning of level 6, her beam routine was solid and she no longer had OT issues. She had learned how to take her time to focus on her skills and then how to make sure she was under the time allotted.

And now having worked as a timer at many a meet, I can tell you that unless you know when the timer is supposed to start the clock and when they stop it, watching routine lengths on youtube isn't going to tell you how long the time each routine actually took. All you will do is drive yourself crazy.

Reactions: sce
Our coaches have told our girls to take the time penalty if they need to, so they can have a nice clean routine. It's not much though.

I understand being frustrated by deductions. I think we all feel that way at times and at certain meets, but being frustrated is all you can be. You can't change anything so best to not worry about it too much. If it's something the coaches are concerned with, they will fix it.

What app is this your talking about? I'd love to check it out!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back