MAG kip catch

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
So, D has been working this, and catching it well. Tonight they started working the kip cut part. Apparently he cannot physically do this skill. Arms are too short? Anyone ever heard of this? Are there any techniques that can help wtih this?

signed - a mom who is not ready for giengers or jaegers

Reactions: sce
I don't know that it's that easy. One of DD's teammates is working on one for her bars routine because she's having a heck of a time with pirouette and is too small to do a straddle back. It's probably just going to take some time. As the girls start learning all this release move stuff, it's been interesting to see that sometimes the real challenge is not getting the skill, but managing to get OUT of the skill without looking like a dog's dinner.

So, he can get out of it with a swing and back uprise or kip. He just ccan't get into it. Ugh. He has it so nicely, except for the important part of getting there.

So, coaches, judges, anyone....what is the deduction for bending his knees, assuming he can get into iit that way? Is it possible to straddle it to go into it? Right now he is missing an entire element group. So, would the deductions of doing it with bent legs be better than missing the entire group? Or should he just forget about it and move on?

2nd part...Could this be hip flexibility affecting this? Or back?

He is so disappointed. He has this skill. he knows it. And he has been working it for 2 weeks, so he feels like he has lost all that time.

Has he tried the vault catch? That's the go to for our guys. I assume he has and it isn't working for him.

He hasn't tried the vault catch. I am hoping that he will start today. He jsut caught on to the kip catch so quickly :(

Coach was to move him right to a geinger or jaeger thinking next year instead of this year. I am just not mentally ready for that! LOL!

Maybe working on flexibility would help him get enough compression to get his legs through?

He's working on it for next year right? I think just working on a Geinger or Yamawaki might be the way to go.

He was working it for this year, but I am thinking we focus next year now.

I was wondering if he worked that flexibility if it would help....

Agggghhhhhhhhh! [Profmom runs screaming from the gym in horror . . .]
I was thinking the same thing. While dd was competing across the room were the level 8 boys. I would catch bits of what they were doing and that alone was pretty terrifying. Can't imagine the level 9 skills! This is a really cool sport but not sure the mama can handle it.

Isn't he a level 8? They don't count all 5 element groups. Almost no level 8s around here do releases.

Reactions: sce
Isn't he a level 8? They don't count all 5 element groups. Almost no level 8s around here do releases.
Yes, he is an 8. But he only has 3 groups. He is missing either the release or the "l grip(?)" right now. So they were hopign to get that in.

straddle cut catches haven't been done in years. it's a waste of training time. better to go slow with a 'real' release or not at all until the athlete is ready. a hop full is time better well spent.

Thanks. He has ditched it and is working other stuff now (endo, and training the other releases..No clue what, and fixing other stuff.) I an glad.
There are several 8s doing the kip catch here. I think I saw at least 5 or 6 on three last meet. But he is all about training what will be useful at level 9 so he is at least thinking ahead

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back