WAG Repeat Lv3 or push to Move up Lv4

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I never actually thought of looking at it from that point of view I guess I've taken too much notice if the cgm talking about it not being fair and allowed it to cloud my judgement thank you for returning me to the land of the sane!!!

Just remember that hopefully she will have big growth spurts and hit puberty a year before yours so her mum will be looking at your tiny little girl and wailing 'how can my dd compete against that little thing her legs have grown 6 feet in the last month and she has lost half her skills!'

Being January born is an advantage for compulsory 5 and 4. By the time you get to espoirs it is all about other factors so just try and hang in there.

I hear this a lot. But, if they are competing Grade 5 it really shouldn't matter, as she won't be able to compete those skills for ages.

It is not uncommon to giant in level 5 now, there will be some at the Manchester Open in June and then again more in the autumn levels. Although most don't compete twisting on floor in level 5 (not sure if allowed anywhere) , they definitely can for level 4 next year. Skills are moving younger, following the grades changes.

A . I feel like she wants to success next season and really take those wins home. Hence the top 10 rule which is stupid.

B. My dd is 7, gonna be 8 soon. And yes I am moving her to a different gym if she get held back because of this stupid rule that this hc suddenly came up with. Or maybe take season off and just strictly uptrain or maybe put her in xcel.

Point A: I agree that "top 10" is a stupid rule....at your gym, my multi year Level 10 college gymnast daughter would never have gotten out of Level 4! Her all time high compulsory score was a 32.4! So scores aren't everything...

Point B: would your HC even allow this? I'm thinking if she wants you repeating levels that don't need to be repeated, she wants it to strengthen her teams in competition so they win team titles....that's called using a ringer....and that's kind of what I see this strategy as... so I'm not sure HC would be receptive to your DD strictly uptraining or doing Xcel.

Point A: I agree that "top 10" is a stupid rule....at your gym, my multi year Level 10 college gymnast daughter would never have gotten out of Level 4! Her all time high compulsory score was a 32.4! So scores aren't everything...

Point B: would your HC even allow this? I'm thinking if she wants you repeating levels that don't need to be repeated, she wants it to strengthen her teams in competition so they win team titles....that's called using a ringer....and that's kind of what I see this strategy as... so I'm not sure HC would be receptive to your DD strictly uptraining or doing Xcel.

I really don't know what's going g to happen as of now. If hc/owner doesn't want dd to uptrain and take the year off, I think I'm taking her to another gym that would gladly take her in as a lv4 gymnast.

I really don't know what's going g to happen as of now. If hc/owner doesn't want dd to uptrain and take the year off, I think I'm taking her to another gym that would gladly take her in as a lv4 gymnast.

And I would do just that....if they have this ridiculous move up criteria in Level 3, it's only going to get worse as you move up the levels ( or should I say IF)....

Another one here who thinks the move up rules are ridiculous! This would likely have me looking into other gyms as it doesn't sound like an environment I'd want my child in long term. Talk about pressure! So if she moves to L4 there's no guarantee that you won't be in the same position next year for moving to L5. There are so many scenarios where a kid could have all that is needed physically and emotionally to move up yet fails to come in 1st-5th place in one meet. No thanks.

No way would I let her repeat. Repeating 3 is for the girl who barely has a kip, and might not get it in time to compete. Not someone who has her level 4 skills, but just doesn't score great at states.

I agree with your plan to jump ship if coach wants her to repeat. Crazy crazy rule!

Yes she has all the lv4 skills and performs them safely.
I would not allow her to repeat then. There does not appear to be a valid reason from what you've shared with us. Telling the kids that they must place top 5 or top 10 puts so much pressure on them-also one fall off beam and you are done:/

The thing coach already express that move ups are not for the parents or gymnasts to decide. I coach preschool in this gym as well so I know what my dd is capable of. And she takes privates. Because for a kid to get better in this gym, private is a must. Even in low level gymnatics.

The thing coach already express that move ups are not for the parents or gymnasts to decide. I coach preschool in this gym as well so I know what my dd is capable of. And she takes privates. Because for a kid to get better in this gym, private is a must. Even in low level gymnatics.

I get that move ups are decided by the coach but with such a restrictive criteria as you describe, and the added gem that she'd need privates to progress in a low level, I'd call it a day there and move on....

HUGE RED FLAG! Privates should not be a must. THey should be something that you do occassionally. Practice should be enough to get better. Privates should be for skill block or something really individual (like routine construction.)

@mom2gym...... Play it safe and take good mental notes about teams you would like to check out! My personal opinion is that it is the coach's decision to select who moves up to compete the next level; however, a gymnast should be able to sit out a year to train up as opposed to being forced to repeat. Again, my opinion here, a coach that says gymmie must repeat and must compete is looking to get banners.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back