WAG Need advice from experienced hair masters!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ok, I have to admit I was one of the biggest naysayers here. However, all DD's meets this year have been later in the evening, and she got tired of the old tried and true bun and doesn't like a ponytail for competition. I found this on youtube and thought it turned out ok and I would have never pegged myself as one to really fix hair. It's a super cute look, and she got tons of compliments on it and we've done it for every meet since.
I might would have felt differenly tho if I'd been told I had to fix her hair like this...guess that's the rebel in me :)
That is identical to Aero's hairdo, but instead of folding the plait strands over to the middle, you fold them under into the middle.

Ok, if my coach told us my DD needed this bIr style I would tell him I hope he has time to do it himself before she competes. I can't even figure out regular French braids, let alone attempt something like that. Good luck getting parents on board.

Aero updated the thread to say the hairstyle was a success for this season. I had said similar things to you originally, but he appears to have gotten the parents on board and managed to get parents to teach/help other parents to get it all done.

That is identical to Aero's hairdo, but instead of folding the plait strands over to the middle, you fold them under into the middle.
Is this way of braiding more difficult? It really makes the braid portion pop, which is pretty cool. Perhaps I should have them try it this way...
Yeah, passion about your job is pretty persuasive I guess.. And you can see it over the interwebz in his case.
Thanks. :) Maybe I can use it as a form of mind control. Then I could convince the girls that doing vault really is fun! :rolleyes:

Is this way of braiding more difficult? It really makes the braid portion pop, which is pretty cool. Perhaps I should have them try it this way...
It is a touch harder, but only really because most people are used to doing it the other way, so they have to readjust to do it this way.

They can practice by doing an ordinary plait (not braid) by folding the hair under rather than over first. They'll probably have to keep saying "right UNDER, left UNDER" until they get it. Then a braid like this before trying your upside down one.

Thanks. :) Maybe I can use it as a form of mind control. Then I could convince the girls that doing vault really is fun! :rolleyes:
I don't get how *anyone* finds running towards a stationary object and then throwing yourself at and over it fun!

The "under" braid (also called a Dutch braid) as COz says is slightly harder, however I do find that it holds the hair tighter than the French style and therefore stays in longer. It took a few attempts before I stopped getting my fingers in knots when I first attempted them and I still have to remind myself to go under with each piece of hair!

As an inexperienced braider, I found it easier than a regular French braid...and my DD"s hair is very thin and fine, and it held much better. Has lasted thru every competition so far without coming down.

It really depends on the person which way they find more difficult. I re found some learn 1 way vs the other and usually they are better at the way they 1st learned it.

have my Pink - she loves vault, its her favourite piece , as she is 11 now, I'll drop her off and then pick her up in oh say 5 years time ?
Five years, huh? I'll have her doing triple twisting Yurchenkos. Amanars are for n00bz! :cool:

By the way, I've decided to keep the hair mandate. It seems that you all think I should stick with it for next season, so I will. You have brought up great points about it being convenient to know exactly what hairstyle to do for each meet, as well as looking super cohesive as a team. I also like the point about how the "veteran" moms can teach the new moms how to do the style if need be. Thanks mommies! :D

Last edited:
It really depends on the person which way they find more difficult. I re found some learn 1 way vs the other and usually they are better at the way they 1st learned it.

And god forbid you have to switch from one to another. I started dutch braiding DD's hair a couple of weeks ago only to remember that I needed to french braid. I undid the dutch and then stood there perplexed for a couple of minutes because I couldn't get my brain to switch from unders to overs!

I find this hair thread amusing. I am a complete plain jane and to do hair is a huge challenge. Thank goodness for a ballet mom friend who schooled me on a proper bun. For the first time...DD said whoa mom that is awesome and another team mom asked if I would show her...whew....success!

The "under" braid (also called a Dutch braid) as COz says is slightly harder, however I do find that it holds the hair tighter than the French style and therefore stays in longer. It took a few attempts before I stopped getting my fingers in knots when I first attempted them and I still have to remind myself to go under with each piece of hair!
So, is the Dutch braid more difficult because they'll have to relearn going from an "over" braid to an "under" braid? Or is it actually truly harder? In other words, if someone wanted to learn an upside down French braid, and an upside down Dutch braid, and they had no previous experience, which would be more difficult?

I'm seriously considering pitching this to my team parents because of your claim that it holds the hair better. I also like the fact that the braid stands out way more than a French style braid does. Those are the reasons I'm asking.

I think they are probably similar in difficulty to learn if you are starting from scratch. If you naturally plait over then it would be a case of practicing to plait under before learning the Dutch braid. A couple of my DD friends have parents who naturally plait under and they can only plait Dutch, French isn't something they can do (or at least they are not prepared to try to learn it).
The way it stands out from the head does look good, on very fine hair it doesn't have quite quite the same effect however on fine hair it is probably the better choice as it holds tighter.

It definitely holds hair better- it still looks ok on my wild child after a day and a night, with no products added. No more difficult to learn or do- it is a bit like driving on the other side of the road after you have got used to driving in your own country- you have to keep reminding yourself to do it the new way!

I find Dutch braids much easier to do on myself, about the same on another person provided I give it a little bit of thought. At this point Dutch braiding comes more naturally to me as it's what I do in my own hair and practice more frequently. But I think difficulty level is just about the same. I also find that Dutch braids work better for thick and/or curly hair.

So I have to resurrect this thread. It's relevant...

I just sent out an email to all the parents about tuition costs for the year, meets, training hours and schedule, etc. At the very end of the email, I off-handedly mentioned ( :) ) that I wanted to change the team hairstyle. I am going to keep the same hairstyle from last year (upside-down French braid into a bun), but I took the advice in this thread and decided to change the braid to a Dutch braid instead. I'm just waiting for the backlash. :rolleyes:

I'll keep all of you updated.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back