WAG What is it like to quit?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think I have come to a point where I'm either going to have to stop gymnastics or only compete beam. After another meet were I was able to finish floor because my ankle was hurting me and my coach had a very long talk about how it's not smart to continue doing something that causes me so much pain. Beam however doesn't and I can continue do just do that if I chose, but there's also the choice of not doing any floor until about July and only conditioning and doing beam until then, making my joints stronger so there able to handle it. Then there's also the choice of just stopping and coaching, but I don't think I'm ready for that. And everytime I think about it I start crying

If you're not ready to quit and you have the option to continue competing without injuring yourself, then there's no reason to quit. If you are damaging your body, it may be time to rethink. Good luck with whatever you decide.

If you're not ready to quit and you have the option to continue competing without injuring yourself, then there's no reason to quit. If you are damaging your body, it may be time to rethink. Good luck with whatever you decide.

You are going to living longer a lot longer then you will be "doing" gymnastics. Do you want to live with permanent pain and damage?

And there is nothing wrong with conditioning and strengthening and healing your body for a time. It doesn't always have to be all or nothing.

But many many athletes have times where they need to heal.

They've always told me I could keep going, no body have ever told me I needed to stop, but I have to have my body forever
After decades of knee and ankle pain, as well as surgeries, from soccer, the only thing I'd tell my younger self is not to quit so soon. No way would I go back and say quit sooner. I've learned to manage how I feel by maintaining a leaner bodyweight to keep pressure off the joints and doing plenty of yoga to maintain flexibility and strength.

Yes, your body is forever, but the opportunity to chase your sports passion is limited to your youth. I don't regret the things I went for, I regret the things I didn't go for.

After decades of knee and ankle pain, as well as surgeries, from soccer, the only thing I'd tell my younger self is not to quit so soon. No way would I go back and say quit sooner. I've learned to manage how I feel by maintaining a leaner bodyweight to keep pressure off the joints and doing plenty of yoga to maintain flexibility and strength.
If I died ode to stay the whole month of April is being devoted to flexibility and strength nothing else

Which Level are you? How many hours do you train? Do you want to achieve something before quitting, like a higher level or so?

Which Level are you? How many hours do you train? Do you want to achieve something before quitting, like a higher level or so?
Right now I'm a level 9 not sure exactly how many hours, and I just want to go till my senior year, but I don't know if I'll be able to, I love gymnastics, and I'm not ready to let it go, and I think I've made the dession to just do beam. If I do I'll get to coach the new level 2 team next year, and hopefully test to become a judge

I trained and competed in college for three years with shoulder tendonitis and bursitis. It was so bad that I had to take 3-4 aspirin before practice, then spend 20+ minutes with heat packs, then get ultra sound and wrapped. After practice I'd lay back on two piles, one for each shoulder, and have another pile packed on top of each shoulder.

Decades later my shoulders never bother me unless I try to do something stooooopid......

I trained and competed in college for three years with shoulder tendonitis and bursitis. It was so bad that I had to take 3-4 aspirin before practice, then spend 20+ minutes with heat packs, then get ultra sound and wrapped. After practice I'd lay back on two piles, one for each shoulder, and have another pile packed on top of each shoulder.

Decades later my shoulders never bother me unless I try to do something stooooopid......
This is good to know! I mean I know it's the only body I'm going to get but 2 more years of something I love is nothing compared to the rest of my life, as of now weave decide to stop floor after state(or regionals depending on how state goes) and condition and do beam while I start coaching the upcoming level 2 and in July if I feel up to it well stay doing floor again.

You will hurt when you are old like me no matter what you do now. You will never have a chance to do what you are doing now again. That doesn't mean you compete with life altering injuries (significant back issues come to mind), but if the injuries can be properly rested this spring summer, perhaps it will all work out. I have never regretted my ballet and running days - even though my knee has been a mess for years now...

You will hurt when you are old like me no matter what you do now. You will never have a chance to do what you are doing now again. That doesn't mean you compete with life altering injuries (significant back issues come to mind), but if the injuries can be properly rested this spring summer, perhaps it will all work out. I have never regretted my ballet and running days - even though my knee has been a mess for years now...
Hope just some bad ankles and a elbow that pops a lot. I really just want my last floor routine, I've been looking forward to it

And when you are old like me you will cherish your younger days ....think about that yami vault! Or that hect dismount. you will hobble when you get out of a chair but it was so worth every minute! #nottooldtoremember #kneereplacement2010

Thank you all! I don't know what the future holds, hopefully it's getting to finish, but I know the past has been great and I've never regretted a second of it!

Don't quit if you love the sport! Rest until you heal. When you come back, maybe don't wear any wraps of braces. My gym doesn't let us wear braces unless we really need them so our muscles grow stronger there. You can condition a little and stretch, but don't keep using hurt areas

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back