Parents How did your gymnast react to their first really nasty rip?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Amusibus

Proud Parent
Tonight my daughter went to practice with a large blistery bubble on her palm. I haven't gone to pick her up yet but this thing has got to have popped. She has had a few minor surface only "rips" but not a deep painful one. This child is a drama queen when it comes to pain (although somewhat more stoic when I'm not around). Just curious how other kids reacted to their first bad rip. I could totally picture it creating an entire week of drama and acting handicapped.

My girl is low drama, so she did Ok, and it was pretty nasty.

We now have a rip kit. Tape grips, bandaids, tape, lotion, antibiotic cream in her gym bag

Pumice stone for in the shower and lotion after. She is pretty diligent about taking care.

But then I don't entertain a lot of drama. And neither do the grown ups at the gym. It was cause for fist pumps, now you are officially a gymnast.

All 3 of mine were about the same. They all sooooo wanted to be proud and excited; but cried because it hurt. They were all pretty nasty rips. Odly, for ds, that was 3 years ago and he has never had another one. Older dd has had a few since, though none as bad (that one was about 1/3 of her hand, even the optionals boys were impressed with it). Younger dd has also had a few.

Mine was proud as can be... Until we got in the car! Then it was tears and flipping her hand all over because she said it was "on fire". She's had several since, but knows what to expect so it's no big deal now. She also regularly uses a pumice to grind them down a bit and then bio oil and lotion.

Badge of honor. Especially since she doesn't get them very often and she was probably the last on her training group.

Now blisters that you can see growing before your eyes result in tears and 45 minutes of 'yes you can pop it' and two seconds later jerking her hand away screaming 'no I can't do it'. :)

Ds has gotten a number of nasty rips. I don't remember the first one. He never gets upset, though. A particularly nasty one was when he did a week long camp at a local college and managed to not rip until he did his show skill on the last day. He came off the rings and looked down to 2 bloody hands. Working giants has been hard on his hands, lots of rips.

Mine was excited. She rips really easily and has had some really, really nasty ones, but she has never once complained about them. They are one of the signs of a "true" gymnast as far as she is concerned.

Reactions: sce
My DD is a bit of a drama queen, but the day she got her first rip so did almost all the girls in her group so it was an exciting day. They train two days in a row so day 1 they all came out with blisters and after day 2 they all came out showing their rips. They were all proud to show them off but my DD found it a bit sore when she got in the shower that night but she's getting use to them now. My husband's a mechanic so he and my DD now compare hands after a day at the gym to see who's hands are more damaged. Where did my princess go?

Mine was sooo excited to show me! She said it meant she had been working really hard! Since then, it's been no big deal and she just tapes it when it happens & she's still on bars.

Her first small rip, proud.
Her first REAL rip? Not so much. It was mixed in trying to do the kip, so a lot of emotions went along with it. For two weeks, I ate, breathed, and slept rips. I think I had about 5 posts here asking how to fix them.
Now, no biggie :)

As of yet, no major rips on her palm, but we have been very diligent in caring for her hands bc, up until recently, she did not use grips & she competes(d) L8. The first couple of times with her new grips, she ripped on her fingers and they were badly bruised! Preparation H healed them up in no time and she is finally getting her skills back with the grips! Yay! She's not a complainer type, but boy, her fingers hurt and the prep H burned and her fingers were gonna fall off and they were NEVER gonna get better! Lol!

Little one is a drama king - so although he toughed it out at gym, the first true, bloody piece of skin gone rip was cause for much attention at home. DD is lucky - she just plain rarely rips...tough too about physical stuff - a bit of a push over emotionally though.

DS the elder rips constantly - and refused to do the preventative stuff that is recommended (he's got sensory stuff going on - hated lotion, etc...whatever....). Rarely a week goes by without blood on the equipment from him....probably half the meets too - doesn't slow him down much and since he won't do what his coaches and mother say about it - tough cookies....

He does hide them from his violin teacher....

DD was pretty much unfazed. She hasn't had any horrible ones and she rarely rips, but it was just "par for the course."

My fingers get dry and cracked from work and no amount of hand lotion helps them heal, but then there's this.....

I like to cook and often use garlic and onion minced nearly to a paste. I noticed that after making some of my favorite recipes that my cracked skin heals almost over night. Could these two have some miracle oils of some sort? Maybe you should have her try it..... sure it stings at first, but after that the worst to happen would be your dd walking around smelling like spaghetti sauce!!!

Garlic and onion are two foods that are supposed to be amazing as natural remedies. Garlic is recommended to heal almost anything it seems like, short of broken bones! Hair growth, psoriasis, infection, earaches, acne, etc. Makes sense it would help cracked hands.

Both my dds were very fine about it, my oldest always gets the bloody rips that gross me out , but she insist they are cool. My youngest just doesn't care, she'll just tape it up and keep going on bars.

Garlic and onion are two foods that are supposed to be amazing as natural remedies. Garlic is recommended to heal almost anything it seems like, short of broken bones! Hair growth, psoriasis, infection, earaches, acne, etc. Makes sense it would help cracked hands.

Also garlic is good for keeping away vampires and zombies and stuff.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back