Parents #of kids in session

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gym proud

Coach
Proud Parent
What is a normal # of kids for a meet session. I know it varies greatly, but what do most people tend to see. Does 50 sound like a low # of gymnasts? Does 80 sound like a high #? Just curious.

It depends on the level and the format- traditional, capital cup or modified. A low level meet with 2 sets of equipment can have up to 96 gymnasts in a session where you have flight A and B with each squad having 12 gymnasts.

What is a normal # of kids for a meet session. I know it varies greatly, but what do most people tend to see. Does 50 sound like a low # of gymnasts? Does 80 sound like a high #? Just curious.

At states we have had any where form 70 ish to 110

There is actually rules on how long a meet should/can take and I am sure that drives the bus on how many per session.

Ours tend to be 50-70 per session for dd and ds. Ds went to a big one with 2 flights and that had over 100.

80 is the max modified capital cup number for a mixed compulsory/optional session as long as 48?ish of the athletes are compulsory. Xcel bronze, silver, and gold count as compulsory. Platinum and diamond count as optional.

This is regulated by USAG. Also depends on the meet format but I can't link the chart well on mobile, you can google it though. I know the numbers for modified capital cup because that is really the only meet format ever used anymore.

96 for compulsory only. I wouldn't expect a session of 50 unless it's level 9/10 or a small meet with only 1-2 sessions due to low number of teams. A big meet you'll never have a compulsory session of 50.

We've seen 70 to 96 in our sessions. 80 doesn't sound high with a flight A & B that run efficiently. We've been to smaller meets without two sets of equipment for all events that have had fewer girls but run a lot slower.

*shudder* I really dislike meets with just a single set of apparatus. Takes forever. Even for small meets.
On "normal/large" sized meets our sessions tend to have around 70-75 gymnasts. They seem to run fairly efficiently as all the larger ones have 2 sets of everything to make things flow better.

Our District meet will have 320 gymnasts (not withstanding late scratches). It will be 6 sessions...
One set of equipment...
Day 1: 68, 63, 41, 41 ... Optionals, L5 & XLG & XLS (only 1 of those), L4 Older, L4 Younger
Day 2: 65, 42 ... L3 Older, L3 Younger

All told, I will be at the gym for 20 hours in 2 days, but he y gymnasts will not come anywhere close to the Max Allowed time :)

Seems like the biggest they get around here is 2 flights with a total of 96 girls split into flights a and b. Floor always gets confusing for me on that one. Are they warming up? Are they going for real?

We have a meet this weekend and I checked and there are 64 in DD session. If I remember correctly from this meet last year there may one be one set of equipment. So either way it takes the same amount of time.

Ive seen teams with 50.. no lie. And out team only had 9... those are the longest slowest meets.

Seems like the biggest they get around here is 2 flights with a total of 96 girls split into flights a and b. Floor always gets confusing for me on that one. Are they warming up? Are they going for real?

If she salutes the judges before stepping on the floor, then it's for real. That's the only way I know how to tell the difference.

If she salutes the judges before stepping on the floor, then it's for real. That's the only way I know how to tell the difference.
Lol yes but sometimes in the swirl of coaches and kids on the floor and parents and siblings in the stands it's hard to see if they are saluting or not.

Lol yes but sometimes in the swirl of coaches and kids on the floor and parents and siblings in the stands it's hard to see if they are saluting or not.
Last meet, my mom was having trouble watching the bars - which set is warming up, which set is competing. Competing side, are they still warming up? DD was 1st on bars, and I thought mom was paying attention. I moved to video, came back to seat, and she said "When is she going?". Mom, you missed it. WHAT???
LOL!
I said you have to pay attention to which side the judges are facing.

Usually at our meets there is gym a and b. Each has 2 sets of equipment. Each gym has about 80-96 girls per session. Awards are in 2 different places depending on which gym you are. The lvls 8-10 have less girls but still quite a bit of them. Friday has a few sessions. Saturdays and Sundays are sessions all day/nite for each gym.

80 is the max modified capital cup number for a mixed compulsory/optional session as long as 48?ish of the athletes are compulsory.

Do you know off hand if there is any such limit for an all compulsory session with boys?

Yes, but with boys you can't mix certain levels. I don't really know it offhand. But I'm pretty sure you can have the compulsory levels together, then you can have level 5 and up in one session I think. I'd assume they have a chart in the men's rules and policies.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back