WAG Fears

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

lovemygymnast

Proud Parent
What do you think causes irrational fears in gymnasts and is this common? And just curious, are there elite gymnasts who have gone through these fear episodes or are elites the girls who just keep plugging away without having anything like this occur?

My gymmie suddenly developed a fear of jumping to high bar, after competing it for 2 years. Why does this happen? How do we help her? She hasn't had a major fall or seen one. Over the summer, before meet season here, she was the one who had her entire routine & was tweaking while the other girls were still learning to kip on low bar. Now, mid season, she's just refusing the high bar...just stands on low bar staring at it.

Could be lack of confidence. Anything significant happen in her life outside of gym? Could be effecting her that way

No, not at all. She is a perfectionist in every area of her life, but nothing new in any area. And it comes & goes. One day, she's fine, two days later, won't jump, just stands there. :-(

My DD, 9, went through the same thing in L4 (fall) and L5 (spring) and then again when learning her toe circle and then she was afraid of giants for a bit, then her flyaway. Now, she just wrapped up L8!!! Your gymmie will be fine!!

My DD, 9, went through the same thing in L4 (fall) and L5 (spring) and then again when learning her toe circle and then she was afraid of giants for a bit, then her flyaway. Now, she just wrapped up L8!!! Your gymmie will be fine!!
Thank you! Watching it is painful!! But she has such a good attitude about it and doesn't really seem frustrated. I just keep thinking any time now and it will happen. I just wish I knew what was going on inside her little head. Thank you!! Definitely helps!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back