WAG Rips?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

V

Vivianflips

I rip every practice unless I wear my palm guards, why is this? I've built up nice calluses from 2 years of gymnastics yet I still rip doing just a warm up of back hip circles! Is it maybe just because I'm 5'5", a lot taller than most gymnasts? It's not that it's an issue to wear Palm guards or anything I was just curious as to the science of rips!
Note: I did get pre dowel grips for those of you who read my previous post, they're just not broken in yet for full use.

I'll create a list of some common reasons why this might be occurring (keep in mind I'm not what you may call an expert at this)

-your hands might be naturally soft
-gripping the bar too tight
-using too much lotion/moisturizer on your hands (soft hands lead to more rips)
-when treating your previous rips you may have used too much of whatever ointment you might have used (sometimes putting nothing on your hands can be better for long term healing for reasons like soft hands)
-they might not actually be rips, but be just little pieces of dead skin (less likely)

I've built up nice calluses from 2 years of gymnastics yet I still rip doing just a warm up of back hip circles!
Depending on the type of rips you get, this might just be the reason. Calluses are a natural reaction of yout body to protect your palms. If they build up to much however they easily get caught circling around the wooden, chalky bar and rip your hand open. Grips and guards help but are no cure for the problem. You will have to take care of your calluses every now and then.

From what you all have said, I'm guessing my hands are just prone to ripping and sometimes my calluses get caught on the bar. Thanks for all of the feed back!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back