Parents Switching gyms

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does the head coach have a very different approach? Do they do the same things? Does your daughter seem to be working at a different level to the other girls?

In my experience, it is only girls who are obviously exceptional who get pulled away from groups and even they can be kept learning basics until they are of quality enough to build on.

I think it is also important to realize at Level 2, they do tend to score lower. Its all new, meets, nerves, polish. That is about experience, low scores are not unexpected when new.

My daughter's first year competing she was low 8s, with some 7s. Now mid to high 9s.

That's tough. Is it 1 coach for 21 girls? That could be a reason for the slower progress. If the other levels seem to be doing ok at meets, maybe just sticking it out and seeing how next season goes would work. Sometimes level 2 is just where they stick everyone not yet ready for 3, so there can be a wide range of skills amongst the girls. If you think your DD is being held back by poor coaching and the situation is unlikely to change, it may be time to look at the other gym in the area. Like the others have said, the right fit varies for each gymnast, so you need to decide what your goals are and see if the other gym fits that. We love DD's gym, and it seems to be the perfect fit for her, but I know that could change as she advances through the levels. Good luck!

Also are those scores low for your region, or do your girls place at meets amongst girls from other gyms? I looked back at DDs meets and her team ranged from 8.3-9.4 on floor so far, and that was similar to the gyms they competed against. I'm sure in some other regions, girls start scoring 9.5s right off.

Jumping levels isn't unheard of. Out level 6 team is comprised of 1 girl that was a level 2 last season, 4 girls that were level 3 last season (my daughter included) and 4 girls that were level 4 last season. Our girls have been fairly successful this year scoring between low 36 to mid 37. We are always the youngest team out there and can hold our own against the other teams that compete older level 6 girls. Talk to the coaches. Tell them your expectations. If they don't mesh, call around to nearby gyms. Good luck!

Jumping levels isn't unheard of. Out level 6 team is comprised of 1 girl that was a level 2 last season, 4 girls that were level 3 last season (my daughter included) and 4 girls that were level 4 last season. Our girls have been fairly successful this year scoring between low 36 to mid 37. We are always the youngest team out there and can hold our own against the other teams that compete older level 6 girls. Talk to the coaches. Tell them your expectations. If they don't mesh, call around to nearby gyms. Good luck!

This would be rare in our area. Currently our gym is looking at the possibility of testing out of 4 for a few of last year's L3s. But a level a year honestly is not something that bothers me. And I also wouldn't be too concerned with her not "liking" the current coach. Honestly they have to learn to deal with coaches they may not like. The more important question is is she learning from that coach.

The mill circle is a PITA. It frustrated DD all season, and she was one of the first to get it. It just was one of those skills that if she wasn't hyper focused she could fall out of. She's now training L4/5 skills and is happy to have it gone. But half our team struggled with it.

EVERY gymnast has big dreams. The more important question really is what do YOU want her to get out of it, and is this the place for her to do it?

I would be bothered by what you describe. In our area, we compete level 2 as a "serious" level. I know it's not a serious level, but our gym wouldn't let the girls compete the bars without a consistent mill circle. Most of the gyms in this area expect scores in the range of 37 to be a "strong" level 2. Our girls practice the floor routine quite a bit with the music too. Our gyms typically don't skip levels either. I think I would at least explore other options if I were you after the season. If she doesn't have the fundamentals of level 2 down by the end of this season, then level 3 might be a struggle, let alone 4 and on up. Not to be a downer.

Oh my goodness. Our level 2 never did mill circles (in a meet). My girl took second at her state meet L2, coming off a week of the flu and first L3 at her state for bars.

She took forever to get that blasted mill circle, worked on it 2 yrs at the old gym and nearly a year at the new one.

This stuff is a marathon, not a sprint.

Our kids are in the Xcel season, our Silver team is having a successful season so far. And a few of us parents were stressing they weren't on the high bar (they are all new L4s pretty much). And I stressed it for about one weekend.

The reality is she has three more meets not on the high bar (including regionals, which she should qualify for unless there is a disaster). After that its all high bar. Really its not that big a deal in the scheme of things.

I recently had the pleasure of watching L2 competition during both of my boys (L6 and L7) meets at a bigger meet in our region - and enjoyed seeing that the girls seemed to be having fun, most not taking it too seriously, etc. A few parents seemed a bit over serious about what is truly very basic gymnastics with little girls having fun with friends, but most seemed very appropriate. Same for the coaching staff. I know that there are regions where L2 is "serious" - but just like soccer tots and 6 year old Tball we all need to keep a perspective. The girls were clearly learning how to line up, start on time, salute,not pick their wedgies too much, etc...

A coaching ratio of 1 to 21 is absolutely inappropriate - especially at this age - kids will get hurt, plain and simple. Arms can be broken falling off beam whether you are doing a straight jump or a back tuck - probably more likely with the little one because the older gymnast has learned how to fall safely.

Also, in compulsory gymnastics learning the routine and then learning the routine at the right time (ie with the music) takes lots of repetition - even with such a short, sweet routine - that would concern me as well. I definitely saw scores all over the place - 7s to 9s...and frankly, with my kids in levels 6-8 age 10-14, I'd say that the kids scoring 7s may be just as ready to be good L3s in a year and level 5s in 2-3 years as those scoring 9s at L2....that's several more years to learn to compete, get more mature, and point your toes. The rest is skills and really the L2 skills are very basic, rec gymnastics skills....no offense.

Moving gyms is difficult on kids and can lead to losing a year or so in progression - but at this level you need to have an idea of what the long term training might look like for your kid. Sounds like the gym is in flux - in that case its more important that you trust the HC and coaching philosophy overall than what levels they presently have, or how they are scoring. Are the older girls happy? Do they stay with gym into high school, or quit early as a rule? Are there older kids of multiple skill levels and body types progressing at their own pace - some fast some slow but all getting good coaching? Do they support each other and is bullying tolerated? Is your child getting corrections that she can use during practices - spotting on basic forms and shapes comes to mind for this level - its hard, because my DD didn't compete until age 8/ old L5 - so really at this level/skills it was all training on form, strength and progressions....never had to learn and then never use the dreaded mill circle - although I spent my youth doing them for fun at the park!

If you like the gym/coaching philosophy and the way the girls are treated throughout the program, and if you have faith that they can rebuild, then sit tight. If not, this is a great age/stage to change gyms to one that will allow her to grow and progress at whatever pace is meant for her....whether she skips levels, does 2 a year, or repeats (and believe me, my DD has skipped levels, done 2 a year AND repeated level 7....kids change!)

Sorry, this is off topic, but I think we were at the same meet gracyomally--where the little girls were sort of competing in the cracks around the boys. That was kind of a weird setup.

Hey ladies. Sorry I had not replied. My computer got a virus and took me a few days to un-hijack it! While we only have a few older girls. they do get high scores. I like the HC he really cares for the girls and keeps them safe. I also like the coach of the upper levels, She was my daughters rec coach and daughter thought she was tough LOVED her. She is also the one that suggested team for my daughter. As for the ratio we now have 19 in level 2 as of a week ago one girl was moved up ( she was orginally placed on lvl 3 but her mom didnt want her to do it) and one dropped out. But the girls are split into 2 classes either m/w or t/t both with optional Friday.

We have meets every two weeks till the end of April then our season is done. For now i think i will have her stick with this gym. But after talking with some other parents of level 2 & 3 this week I am not the only one with these concerns and thinking of switching gyms. Hopefully with the gym in flux it is swinging towards the better.

A lot goes into switching gyms. Whatever you do make sure a move is for sure what you and your daughter want. A lot of people have this "grass is greener at the other gym" mentality when in reality most gyms have their own issues. In my opinion I would take a real hard look at where you are now, weigh the pros and cons. If you are still curious look into a few gyms that you feel are a reasonable distance to travel to, look up their web sites, look into their coaching staff and the experience they have, check out the type of facility they offer ( do they have a pit for higher level vaulting, tumbling and bar release moves) these are important for when they are in higher levels.
Check out their reviews on yelp, see what current and past customers are saying about their gym. You can filter through the comments where they are complaining about petty stuff like " this gym doesn't stock their toilet paper all the time". Find out if the gym offers a TOP's program ( if that is what you will be looking for), look to see their track record for sending gymnasts to colleges and beyond.
Once you do all your research start making calls to they gyms you are interested in and ask if you can bring your daughter in to be evaluated. Stay and watch during the evaluation, talk to other parents during that time, ask lots of questions.. Do they offer a booster club, what is tuition like, what other fees (other than meet, Leo/warm-ups, USAG registration) do they charge what are the training hours like? All of these answers will help you determine where to go.
After trying out a few gyms and getting all of your information, getting a feel for the parents and coaches, then ask your daughter where she felt most comfortable and where she thinks she would benefit most from training at? After ALL of that you can then make an informed decision.
I think to many people run to a gym because they hear that one gym is doing well or because they have friends who have left and so they follow but most of the time those cases don't work out. If you switch you want this to be a long term move. Kids get attached to coaches just as coaches who put in lots of long hours and hard work become attached to their athletes. Just make sure the move is for the right reasons and you both will be happy. Or stay and see how things turn out where you are.
Best of luck to you.

Hey ladies. Sorry I had not replied. My computer got a virus and took me a few days to un-hijack it! While we only have a few older girls. they do get high scores. I like the HC he really cares for the girls and keeps them safe. I also like the coach of the upper levels, She was my daughters rec coach and daughter thought she was tough LOVED her. She is also the one that suggested team for my daughter. As for the ratio we now have 19 in level 2 as of a week ago one girl was moved up ( she was orginally placed on lvl 3 but her mom didnt want her to do it) and one dropped out. But the girls are split into 2 classes either m/w or t/t both with optional Friday.

We have meets every two weeks till the end of April then our season is done. For now i think i will have her stick with this gym. But after talking with some other parents of level 2 & 3 this week I am not the only one with these concerns and thinking of switching gyms. Hopefully with the gym in flux it is swinging towards the better.

Honestly, I'm not sure what you've posted are good reasons to switch gyms. Progress is slow in team gymnastics. There's about a 0% chance your daughter would be ready to go from a level 2 program to a level 5, even if she's uncommonly talented. Since they are moving girls up from the level 2 group, that would indicate she likely doesn't have most of the level 3 skills yet, which is completely normal. I just want to provide a realistic picture of things. The mill circle is hard and really a level 3 skill. Most level 3 groups practice 3 days a week and it is very common at any level 3 meet to see level 3s not make mill circles or fall forward, etc.

So anyway,that is one reason why many gyms and coaches just do level 2 as an in house level.

But in some regions apparently most gyms do level 2 and I assume you'd lose business if you didn't offer it. So I get that.

So, I would just make sure if you do switch you have realistic expectations for progress. Most likely it sounds like she will be a level 3 at your current gym, and a level 3 at whatever gym you switch to. I would consider whether the current gym is providing good instruction and the coach is attentive. If so, I assume she will progress at a normal rate (to clarify normal rate, doing one level per year is FAST progression). If you feel the coaches are not attentive or your daughter doesn't enjoy, then observe without your daughter at a gym you are considering first to see if it is really any different.

Last year my DD was an 8yr old L1 (she started gym very late.) Her second year they wanted to put her in L2. She was totally bored. No up training at all. We switched gyms. She was put in L3 and has been very successful. She will try and score out of L4 next season and finish next year as a L5. She currently has all the L4 skills and many of the L5 skills and works on them at most practices even in the middle of meet season. So, to answer your original question, I looked for a gym with a coach who believed in her and supported her. A place that allowed her to up train and will move her mid season when (if) she is ready. A gym/coach that is not concerned about scores but rather the gymnast and what she is capable of and ready for. I am grateful we made the switch.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back