WAG Mental Blocks....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member 17723

How do your coaches deal with these? Almost every gymnast has them, and I happen to be suffering from some now. A few of my coaches will tell us to man up and go-but that only works on some people. Others will talk us through it, do drills, etc.
I'm interested into how you or your dd overcomes her mental blocks and what the coaches role in it is.

wow you are having a real time of it at the moment aren't you, training with ankle weights with shin splints and a Grade 2 sprained ankle, now dealing with mental blocks, not having much luck are you !

Reactions: sce
Sometimes they just tell me to do it anyway. Other times depending on the skill they will spot me. I used to be terrified of doing anything into our foam pit but one of my coaches put a crash mat in it for me too land on and spotted me. Eventually they took the mat out and gave me less & less of a spot. Now I don't really mind the pit, although I still rather learn a new skill on the floor with a crash mat and x mat, but that's just me being picky.

Stephanie

Sometimes they just tell me to do it anyway. Other times depending on the skill they will spot me. I used to be terrified of doing anything into our foam pit but one of my coaches put a crash mat in it for me too land on and spotted me. Eventually they took the mat out and gave me less & less of a spot. Now I don't really mind the pit, although I still rather learn a new skill on the floor with a crash mat and x mat, but that's just me being picky.

Stephanie

Are you sure you live in Canada???

wow you are having a real time of it at the moment aren't you, training with ankle weights with shin splints and a Grade 2 sprained ankle, now dealing with mental blocks, not having much luck are you !
It's rough :( my coaches think it is the puberty thing kicking in-I'm a bit late and she says that my body hasn't caught up with how much I'm growing or something :oops::eek: we've gotten rid of the ankle weights and no gym for 2 weeks-the doctor thinks he might've missed a hairline fracture in my growth plate :confused: ugh.... I guess it is the life of a gymnast...

Are you sure you are only 14?
I'm sure :) I'm not lying, I'm not sure how to prove it either....I'm turning 15 soon :D April 24th :) Why do you think I'm older? Just wondering :rolleyes: I swear.... I'm 14

If you have got no gym for 2 weeks due it all your injuries how can you be suffering mental blocks and your coaches are telling you to 'just go'. Doesn't make any sense.

If you have got no gym for 2 weeks due it all your injuries how can you be suffering mental blocks and your coaches are telling you to 'just go'. Doesn't make any sense.
Not now, a few weeks ago, before injuries. I am trying to 'mentally' prepare for when I go back. It is the middle of meet season and I don't want mental blocks to hold me back when I get to go back. I have had these fears since the beginning of the season, and just thought to ask some other gymnasts on what they do for mental blocks.

Visualize your skills or routines. Always mentally imagine yourself doing them with tight form, sticking landings, nailing skills. If you are unable to physically be in the gym, be there mentally with a positive perspective.

Not now, a few weeks ago, before injuries. I am trying to 'mentally' prepare for when I go back. It is the middle of meet season and I don't want mental blocks to hold me back when I get to go back. I have had these fears since the beginning of the season, and just thought to ask some other gymnasts on what they do for mental blocks.

Well if you were my 14 year old dd you wouldn't be even considering going near the gym until the hospital had sorted out the possible growth plate fracture. That is serious. Along with a sprained ankle and shin splints you may need to write this season off and start again next year.

Maybe it's me but I se agscc401 posts being quoted as Cali_48, multiple times.
Puzzling

Anytime members use numbers in their user names it does weird things. People get PM's not intended for them and quotes can go haywire. It is a known issue, but never fixed.
Thanks for clearing that up.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back