WAG Losing bar skills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

All of a sudden one day, one of my level 4s was unable to kip-cast horizontal. I chalked it up to a bad day because the weeks before she could make 5 in a row on each bar and 5 routines no problem. But now it's been a couple weeks and she still can't get it. Her kips are slower and her casts are tiny. I've tried both drills and spotting as well as games and contests and nothing is helping. She didn't fall or watch a fall. I don't know what is causing it and I don't know how to fix it. Any ideas?

Maybe she felt she knew enough about kipping to add her own ideas to the skill.... supposedly to make it better but often it does the opposite. So guess what.... the next thing they do is use more of their added dimension....and more...and more...:eek:

My initial reaction was a growth spurt, or any amount of growth. I have one kid who shot up like a weed the last few months and has gone through spells of skills looking slower/lower/more sluggish than usual as a result. She eventually works out of it once she has time to adjust.

Is she doing anything different outside of gym? I notice when my daughter is tired, those casts are, um, less than optimal.

She is coming off a broken toe but was still able to do bars even with a boot on. She was the victim of some mean talk from a teammate which her mom thinks may have affected her confidence. It could be a growth spurt. But I thought she'd have worked through those things by now.
Should I be spotting a lot or waiting until she figures it out again?

I'm not a coach, I'm talking strictly as a mom: I will tell you, confidence is the absolute biggest key for my daughter. When she's nervous or believes she won't do well, we can forget she was even at a meet. When she feels good, she does fabulous!

Is that teammate there when these casts are dwindling?
Is there any chance you could do a private with her, at a time when no teammates are there, and really instill some confidence in her? and see if that helps?

If she has had a broken toe she just might be afraid to bring her toes back to the bars fast in case she hits it and it hurts. I've coached kids with stranger reasoning than that going through their brains.

My DD has completely lost her kid/cast handstand but she also grew about 3.5 inches in the last three months! Talk about throwing bar skills off!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back