Parents protein needs?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymhorsemom

Proud Parent
Should I be feeding my 7 year old gymmie more protein than the average 7 year old? I once calculated that my (small for her age) 7 year old needs approx 20 grams of protein per day. I really try to get this amount into her every day -I will let her have a yogurt drink or vanilla milk even though it has sugar just to get a little extra protein into her. Should I be aiming for more grams of protein since she is now doing 7 hours per week of gymnastics (I realize this is not a lot compared to a lot of gymmies)? Strength is the area that she most lacks in and I want to do what I can to make sure she can build the strength that she needs to succeed in gymnastics.

At her age, her appetite should be driving her to get enough of what she needs. Both of my gymnasts were not much for eating until they started team hours. At this point, they both go through occasional phases where they seem to be craving protein, so I do a few more meat meals. They also love peanut butter! I assume that they're growing/building muscle when this happens.

Should I be feeding my 7 year old gymmie more protein than the average 7 year old? I once calculated that my (small for her age) 7 year old needs approx 20 grams of protein per day. I really try to get this amount into her every day -I will let her have a yogurt drink or vanilla milk even though it has sugar just to get a little extra protein into her. Should I be aiming for more grams of protein since she is now doing 7 hours per week of gymnastics (I realize this is not a lot compared to a lot of gymmies)? Strength is the area that she most lacks in and I want to do what I can to make sure she can build the strength that she needs to succeed in gymnastics.
Don't just focus on protein. She needs protein carbs and fat. Don't avoid he fat. Kids need fat to grow. They need cabs for energy. With her hours you need to focus on high calorie.

At her age, her appetite should be driving her to get enough of what she needs. Both of my gymnasts were not much for eating until they started team hours. At this point, they both go through occasional phases where they seem to be craving protein, so I do a few more meat meals. They also love peanut butter! I assume that they're growing/building muscle when this happens.
I do agree about following their appetite. but also, so many people focus on high protein but low fat and carbs. That may be good for an adult who needs to lose weight, but for an active, healthy kid, they need a good balance not just more protein.

Also, to add. I do not calculate the amount of protein, calories etc my kids take in.. That you know your dd is taking in 20 grams of protein per day may mean your focus is in the wrong place. Take a step away from the calculator and focus more on feeding a well rounded diet, fruit, veggies, grains and protein (not nec. all elan protein either.) Watch her appetite, energy, growth and weight gain. If she is constantly hungry, low in energy or lagging in growth then add in more high calorie options (not processed junk, but things like PB, avocado etc.)

Also, thing like vanilla milk in small quantities are not bad. Drinking on after practice will help restore muscles and that amount of sugar will not be harmful to an active kid.

Also, thing like vanilla milk in small quantities are not bad. Drinking on after practice will help restore muscles and that amount of sugar will not be harmful to an active kid.
Chocolate milk is a well regarded after workout drink for many sports.

Just don't let her load up on candy and junk, and her appetite will generally take care of the rest. If she's sucking down soda and potato chips at will, she may not be hungry enough to eat the good stuff.

Reactions: sce
Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned that she LOVES veggies and healthy carbs -she actually asks for salad and other regularly. The reason I pay attention to her protein intake is that until very recently she wouldn't go near any meat, fish, chicken -and even now she is selective with these. She hates all nut butters and does not like cheese. So I have made an effort to make sure she at least has some milk, yogurt and any source of protein that I can get into her.

DD had hurt her back last fall and ended up in physical therapy, he told me that she needed to be getting 6 servings of protein a day to build up her core because she had a below average amount of strength in that area. That was shocking considering she is a gymnast. I really didn't think it was possible to be below average in strength with the amount of work she puts in. But he said that if she isn't getting in the protein then she can't build muscle. I tried it and didn't see it helping until I upped her fat intake. Since doing that she has really started to get strong and muscular. So I agree with previous posters saying don't focus only on protein, make sure you are getting her fats too. I won't comment on carbs since we actually purposely have a low carb lifestyle. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back