Parents Disappointed, I think

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Why at 6 is she stressing so much? My 6 y/o competed JO3 in fall 2014 and will likely repeat in fall 2015, kid is totally cool with it and goes with the flow of whatever. Even my 8 year old might repeat JO3 and is fine with this. I think just let whatever happens happen and try not to overly stress. She can tell you are stressing and maybe that is why she is stressing? Nothing wrong with competing Excel first. I actually kind of wish my girls had done excel for a season before JO. They had never competed prior to JO and I feel like it would have helped their confidence. My kids have both been in gymnastics since they were 2 years old. It is a slow progression to make team :)

And why is mom stressing so much (up in the middle of the night)

As my 9 yr old says, "Its just gymnastics, it not like its world war". I learn a lot from her.

I'm another one for "not old at all". Although my DD started in first grade, and was ready for our preteam (old Level 2) by 2nd grade, she refused (severe stage fright). She finally agreed to compete in FOURTH grade (old level 2, which is now LEVEL 1!), 10 years old. Old level 3 in spring. New Level 3 in fifth grade, and right now she's a Level 4 in 6th grade (12 years old).
I know there are a lot of youngers out there, but I would leave a gym that makes you feel like your daughter can't progress the way she wants just because "she started late".

If she's too old at 6, my DD is ancient. She didn't even step foot in a gym until 7 1/2 (didn't know how to do a cartwheel). At 9.5, she just completed her first year of Level 3 and will be repeating. It was NOT a great year. She is capable, but had a hard time competing, so we decided she would benefit from another year of it. She is really not ready for Level 4 and all that brings. If your gym doesn't want to let her do the JO track because of her age you may want to look at a different gym.

Reactions: sce
Why at 6 is she stressing so much? My 6 y/o competed JO3 in fall 2014 and will likely repeat in fall 2015, kid is totally cool with it and goes with the flow of whatever. Even my 8 year old might repeat JO3 and is fine with this. I think just let whatever happens happen and try not to overly stress. She can tell you are stressing and maybe that is why she is stressing? Nothing wrong with competing Excel first. I actually kind of wish my girls had done excel for a season before JO. They had never competed prior to JO and I feel like it would have helped their confidence. My kids have both been in gymnastics since they were 2 years old. It is a slow progression to make team :)
I don't think OP is 'stressing.' She stated that her DD's preteam group is for girls 4-6 years old so 6 is the oldest. She also stated that as the girls 'age out' of this group they are placed in JO or Xcel, where her this gym, there's no crossover from Xcel to JO. She also clarified that selections for JO have already been made. So, one could, as many of us here have, deduce that her DD will be put into Xcel. If that happens, her DD will NOT be able to reach her goal of competing JO L3 IN THIS GYM! I think OP is being very conscientious! It would be better for her to make a switch now since her DD is not technically on the competitive team yet.

@ tooootsie. She is not stressing, actually. (We haven't even really talked about it except in vague terms). And I have no expectation that she compete Level 3 next year. I would be happy with a year of Xcel and then JO, or another year of pre team. (Someone asked earlier, and she has not mastered all of the Level 3 skills yet anyway.) My concern and reason for posting is that our gym separates the JO and Xcel teams (absolutely no movement in between), and my current impression is that she will be moved to Xcel this spring with no possibility of JO at that gym... ever. I was feeling bad because, after one year of gymnastics, it seemed too soon to close doors. Rather than speed things up, I just want her to have options. Hope that makes sense :)

I don't think OP is 'stressing.' She stated that her DD's preteam group is for girls 4-6 years old so 6 is the oldest. She also stated that as the girls 'age out' of this group they are placed in JO or Xcel, where her this gym, there's no crossover from Xcel to JO. She also clarified that selections for JO have already been made. So, one could, as many of us here have, deduce that her DD will be put into Xcel. If that happens, her DD will NOT be able to reach her goal of competing JO L3 IN THIS GYM! I think OP is being very conscientious! It would be better for her to make a switch now since her DD is not technically on the competitive team yet.

I think it seems like Mom might be stressing out.. Hence the up in the middle of the night post. But I agree that if DD's ultimate goal is JO then maybe a gym switch would be good. She should probably get evaluated at another gym and see what they are willing to do with DD. I was simply letting her know the excel isn't the end of the world and can be a positive thing. Some gyms use excel bronze for kids to compete before moving them to JO.

Also we have classes (preterm) called xcel , which has nothing to do with the xcel division, It's just the name that we call Some of our preteen groups... Might want to clarify that as well,

@IDW4mlo. I'll take the criticism! But I was woken for other reasons -- and then got to thinking....

@ tooootsie. She is not stressing, actually. (We haven't even really talked about it except in vague terms). And I have no expectation that she compete Level 3 next year. I would be happy with a year of Xcel and then JO, or another year of pre team. (Someone asked earlier, and she has not mastered all of the Level 3 skills yet anyway.) My concern and reason for posting is that our gym separates the JO and Xcel teams (absolutely no movement in between), and my current impression is that she will be moved to Xcel this spring with no possibility of JO at that gym... ever. I was feeling bad because, after one year of gymnastics, it seemed too soon to close doors. Rather than speed things up, I just want her to have options. Hope that makes sense :)

All of this makes perfect sense, and you are smart to be thinking now about how to keep options open for your daughter.

And why is mom stressing so much (up in the middle of the night)

As my 9 yr old says, "Its just gymnastics, it not like its world war". I learn a lot from her.

I've found that no matter what level a gymmie is, any decision is big at THAT time. Of course, I look back, and laugh at some of the things I've stressed over. But I'd stress about those things all over again ;)

I've found that no matter what level a gymmie is, any decision is big at THAT time. Of course, I look back, and laugh at some of the things I've stressed over. But I'd stress about those things all over again ;)

It is natural and fitting for the parent of a child at any age or level to worry if there is not a clear path for the child to achieve the goals she has set for herself. I know people here frequently say "it's only preteam, give it time" or "it's only L3, give it time" or "she's only 6, give it time." That's all well and good as long as the kid is getting good coaching and has a fair chance at eventually making team or moving up or whatever the goal is. It is very different when it is obvious to the parent that the child's training is not reasonably calculated to lead to progress and/or that the child will never be considered for the program in which she is interested. In this situation it is appropriate for the parent to get the kid into a program where she will have the opportunity to work towards her goals. There is just no reason to let a child waste a year or two in a program where she has no future when she could be spending her time learning good fundamentals in a program where she has room to grow.

I don't think 6 is too old either but my Concern if I'm you is that your gym/HC/powers that be think she is....and that may color the way she is coached ( or not) going forward. If she really wants to do team ( and I'm talking competitive move up the levels USAG team) and they're not seeing it as an option, then move on to a gym that can meet her needs....not all gyms are powerhouses with stringent team requirements and you should be able to find one.

If she has only been in Gym for a year, then she just needs another year. She is 6.... That is not old... There are tens of thousands of 8 year old level 3s in our country, very medium age, which is what she will be after a additional year of training.
Yup! My daughter is 8 and competing L3 successfully. She is actually the youngest member of her team!

I agree with above.

Also, your now 6yo dd did not "start gymnastics late" at 5 years old. I would be looking elsewhere (if possible) for a gym that doesn't have that mentality/culture.

5yo is not a late start for most gym philosophies.
Agree with this....ask the L3 JO coach and depending on the answer you get go from there. My dd started gymnastics at almost 8 and is 11 now, L8 so your dd has plenty of time to compete L3. We were rejected from more than 1 gym due to her "late age", but we kept looking til we found one.

I was feeling bad because, after one year of gymnastics, it seemed too soon to close doors. Rather than speed things up, I just want her to have options. Hope that makes sense :)
I agree with this. Thus why I suggested a meeting with HC to understand her options at this gym. The decide to stay or find a gym that will giver her the options she is looking for.

@IDW4mlo. I'll take the criticism! But I was woken for other reasons -- and then got to thinking....
Well not that I'm glad you were woken up but I am glad that wasn't what did it. :)

Thanks again to everyone who gave feedback re: my original post. Here is the update: I wasn't given the meeting I requested, but had a pleasant email exchange in which I was able to share DD's commitment to gymnastics despite her being so new to the sport. For a few weeks after, I noticed an increase in JO coach observations of the pre team girls, and even video taping. And I was just notified that DD will be invited to train with the JO girls (entering or currently L3) this summer, along with several others from her pre team group. I believe the words "try it out" were used, so I was left understanding it was not a guarantee. But I am pleased that the door has been left open for a little while longer, in any event. So glad I decided to reach out instead of grumble quietly in the background. Good advice, everyone!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back