New gym mom with a new gymnast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So glad I found these forums! The wealth of info here is awesome! I have 2 boys and my little girl gymnast is stuck in the middle. She took gymnastics when she was 3 and it was like watching the coach herd cats so we quit. She begged for years and so we started back a year ago, January 2014. I am worried I waited too late. She turned 11 in November. She had only been taking a month when the coach asked m to move her from beginner to intermediate. I resisted because I worried it was too soon. So after another month the coach insisted because she (the coach) wasn't able to work with her on newer skills in the beginner class. So we moved her to intermediate. After one lesson the gym owner asked her to compete on level 1 (it was the time of year all girls were finding out if they made team/moved up a level). I let her move up and now a year later we are in the middle of meet season. Her very first meet she got 3rd in AA. Second meet she was 6th and third she was 5th. Her scores keep improving. She's only gotten two 8s, everything else has been over 9. It's hard for me to judge how "well" that is or isn't because all the girls on her team have been in the gym at least 2-3 years. I'm just glad she is consistently improving. I was not a competitive person until the first meet and somebody handed me a score sheet. I AM able to "hide" my competitiveness from her and other parents but boy do meets stress me out. I want her to keep enjoying it but I want her to be dedicated to a sport SHE chose. I can see the excitement in her eyes when she learns a new skill or when her coach encourages her. Anyway, it's great to find a place to learn things as a new gym mom!

Sounds like she loves the sport. Glad she's a ta gym that is giving her the opportunity to learn the sport.

My DD started close to age 9. She also has made fast progress and loves the sport. This is an awesome forum with friendly people willing to help. Welcome!

Thanks guys. I think I've gotten addicted to reading the forums!!
Yep....my morning goes like this: wake up, coffee, email, texts, CHALKBUCKET....every day for about a year now!!! Lol! It's never too late to have a successful journey in gymnastics! Don't focus on scores and placements. (Easier sd than done.......I'm just as guilty!!) Good luck and welcome!

Yep....my morning goes like this: wake up, coffee, email, texts, CHALKBUCKET....every day for about a year now!!! Lol! It's never too late to have a successful journey in gymnastics! Don't focus on scores and placements. (Easier sd than done.......I'm just as guilty!!) Good luck and welcome!
I'm trying so hard not to focus on scores and placement!! She has a meet today in about 2 hours and I asked what her goals are. She said straight legs and a smile. So I'm happy! She's had issues with straight legs to the point where I thought something was wrong but this week in practice something clicked and her legs were as straight as arrows. I left it to the coach to notice and she fixed it. Amazing how I hear other moms "coaching" their kids and during practice these kids will finish a routine and immediately look up at mom. I told mine from day 1 I know nothing about gymnastics so I'll pay the gym to teach you and she's progressed faster than the CGM kids. Kinda sad!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back