Parents Severs/ Growth Plate/ Heel Pain

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Oh, the poor girl! So sorry she's had such a tough struggle with it. DS had a teammate who did have to be casted and was off for a month, but for him, that resolved it and he was able to manage with just a heel cup afterward.

I guess all we can say is that at least it doesn't cause any permanent harm, but I really hope it resolves completely soon.

My dd has had this for a long time. It is my understanding that you can't "make it worse" but it is more of "how much pain can you tolerate". We did heel cups, icing and stretching (PT). Ibuprofen as well to help reduce inflammation. Good luck! it will likely go away as quick as it came.

Never heard of a night brace. Any chance you could snap a pic so I'd know what to look for?

nightbrace.png
This is what she has been sleeping in every night. She swears to me that it has helped and she has been able to fully practice last week and this week. We are also still taping and using the heel cup as well.

Similar to cheer shoes?

I am not sure what cheer shoes are but they are just regular gym shoes that we purchased at Target. The top part of the shoe is made of a lightweight material (similar to a heavy mesh), not vinyl or leather.

I don't have anything to add really, other than to give hope of it getting better. My 12 y/o DD dealt with severs in her heels and knees for about a year when she was 8 or 9. We did try heel cups but she really didn't wear them enough to know if it did anything for her. They also suggested stretches and physical therapy. Oh, one exercise I remember was to stand with your toes on the edge of a step and press the heels down to stretch the heel tendon. That seemed to help a little, but in the end, she rested when she needed to and worked through a lot of pain. But it's been gone for quite a while now and she isn't bothered by it anymore. I just wanted to offer some hope that it will go away eventually. Of course, of us, that pain was replaced with ganglion cysts in her wrists and chronic wrist pain. *shrug* It's amazing what these girls work through! Good luck!!

Jen

cheeta cup, stretching, (that's what that night brace helps with too), PT, nxtmile inserts in tennis shoes, tennis shoes in gym...no flip flops, never barefoot outside of gym (except in the shower), no Uggs, no toms, no sperrys.... only tennis shoes with the inserts....
I have seen kids have to be in a boot and on full rest. In a way it is normal as they grow, but the severity is so variable.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back