Parents "Practice" leotard?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We have mandatory practice leos too, for L5 and up (l4 can and usually do order them as well, but it's optional for them). The team kids are supposed to wear them on a certain day, and most do. We also have last years practice Leo that most of them still wear on THAT day, lol, so that makes 2 days that my kid feels that she needs to wear a certain Leo, among the 30 or so leos she owns.... ;) lots of hand washing of those two leos going on! ;) L3 is not allowed to order the practice leos the higher levels wear, even if they find it online (this year we went with a stock Under Armor Leo for the practice Leo).

I was asking myself the same thing when we moved to the gym were at now, they asked us to buy comp leo, warmup suit, training leo (practice leo) and shorts that match the practice Leo. At my dds gym I was told they use them for the end of the year demo and also different shows that may do to advertise the club. Apparently it's also to have less decision between the level 6+ girls and the level 5 and under girls (The level 5 and under girls have different competition suits than the level 6+ girls , they also trying on different days.)

We don't have practice leos, but one of our meets was a "pink" meet and all the girls competing got pink leos and competed in them that day. The kids have dubbed Thursdays pink leo day, so all the girls wear them. Totally driven by the kids.

The girls are "strongly encouraged" to buy the training tank for our gym...at the cost of $92. They wear them for mock meets and the annual gym show. They can wear them to practice as well. The thing that really stinks is when your kid declares it uncomfortable and refuses to wear it unless it's mandatory!

No required practice Leos here. Just a competition Leo. If we do a demo at our rec class recitals or any other special event we just use the competition Leos.

Funny thing is, I'd love a mandatory practice leo. I'd buy two or three, and keep washing. That would "probably" be a lot cheaper than my EbayLeoAddiction... ;)

If they were mandatory for every day, then maybe. But if it's only for 1 day, and you still need 4 leos for 4 other days... For $60 I could have bought 3 or 4 leos on ebay. :)

Our boosters actually purchase the practice leos for the team girls. The levels wear them 2 or 3 times a month. In addition, they have options to purchase leos in the spring to wear to summer camps and another gym leo for the fourth of July parade. None is required, but many of the girls get those as well. We have far too many leos with our gym name on them. Lol

DDs original gym had practice leos, required for friday practices only. Since most of the xcel girls didn't practice Friday, most of them didn't have it. Her gym this season didn't do practice leos at all. The girls would often coordinate wearing the same meet leos to practice, just because they liked to do so. Her new gym that she starts tomorrow has a Friday practice leo also, which is voluntary, but my DD is so excited to get to wear one that I will be buying it tomorrow when she starts. It's only $40. More than I would normally pay for a practice leo, but if it helps her feel a part of her new team, I am all for it.

Seems to me that probably 50% of the gyms out there probably have some sort of practice leotard.

In 2011, the YMCA Nationals leotard that was offered to anyone who qualified for Nationals came in 3 different color choices. One was our team color. I had hoped that ALL of the girls on our team that were going would order the light blue one, then we would have a chance of getting HC to let them compete in those instead of their long sleeve competition leotards (velvet bodice - in the summer... not a good combo). Well, all but 4 bought the leotards... and 3 chose a different color.
The girls that got them would sometimes coordinate, but I don't think a required practice leotard would work at our gym. YG can't wear a leo that comes anywhere close to her neck... we have had girls that were not allowed to even wear a tank leo (they wore short sleeve or long sleeve all year round)... and we have a couple girls that don't like a deeper neckline (the kind YG needs).
Plus, I can get 5 leotards from eBay for $25 (I refuse to pay more than $5 including shipping most of the time). Now that YG has grown again, I am back to eBay - she can't wear half her sister's old leos due to neckline issues.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back