WAG How do you qualify for Level 7 regionals?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Amber

Proud Parent
Our meet season is almost over. My dd, level 7, has had a great year! Every meet 36+AA, and last meet she was 2nd AA. I know regionals are after States, but how does a gymnast qualify? We are in Region 8. Thanks:)

I know that it is a percentage of kids who make the top scores at state meet. Last year at our state meet, if you got a 37 or higher you were given a regionals t-shirt and told that you were in. I think some of the kids who ended up making high 36s got in. The age groups are irrelevant for who makes regionals. It goes by straight scores.

For Region 8, each state is allotted a specific number of slots for L7 and L8. The top AA scores at state meet get to go to Regionals regardless of the age group. The numbers for each state will not be released until closer to states. The number of slots designated for each state is based on a percentage of athletes in the state that score a minimum 32 and 34 during the season. The top 8 girls in each state compete in the state team competition, the rest compete as "all Stars" in the age group competition.

For Region 8, each state is allotted a specific number of slots for L7 and L8. The top AA scores at state meet get to go to Regionals regardless of the age group. The numbers for each state will not be released until closer to states. The number of slots designated for each state is based on a percentage of athletes in the state that score a minimum 32 and 34 during the season. The top 8 girls in each state compete in the state team competition, the rest compete as "all Stars" in the age group competition.

Some of the larger states (FL, GA and NC) are allowed more entries. According to the Region 8 website, for 2014 FL was allowed 84 gymnasts, GA had 52 entries and NC had 34. The state we are in, it is tougher to get in. Last yr, they could send 21 girls. The cutoff score was 37.750.

Wow, lhmom, that is a high cutoff! If our state has that cutoff this year, there will be only 1-2 girls from our state! Here, a high 36, low 37 is a winning AA!

Region 1 started it 2 years ago I believe... It is held in conjunction with Xcel regionals.

I know of a few big gyms who chose not to attend the first year. Not sure if that's changed in the subsequent years.

I think about 1/2 of the regions have qualifying regionals when I asked the same question last year. Region 2 doesn't have a full regionals but does have an invitational for levels 6 and 7. They were thinking about having a true regionals for the coming year but I don't think anything came of it.

Region 6 just started it last year. It was top 7 or 8 over all age groups (so 7 or 8 total, not fro each age group) from our state that went to regionals. The cut off was around 37.5 here.

Region 6 just started it last year. It was top 7 or 8 over all age groups (so 7 or 8 total, not fro each age group) from our state that went to regionals. The cut off was around 37.5 here.

7th place was a 37.950 in NY, 37.550 in CT, 36.925 in NH, 36.400 in VT, 36.325 in RI, and 36.200 in ME to qualify to Level 7 Region 6 Championships. So part of it will also be dependent on the state you live in if it's a certain number of kids qualifying.

For Region 8, Level 7 regionals:
The number of gymnasts at Level 7 Regionals is 262 + all ties. The number of team members is 64 (8 per state with 4 scores counting for team). There are no petitions accepted to Level 7 Regionals. Each state turns in to RACC the number of Level 7 athletes in their state with a 32.00 AA by the designated deadline, from all 8 states. A percentage for each state is figured for the 198 All State places.

Top 8 overall from each state will be on the state team and will compete in the team session at regionals. They'll compete for individual awards as well as for their team. This session is somewhat similar to a college meet (if anyone from your gym makes it, go watch, it's a lot of fun). The remainder of that state's allocation will compete in their age group session at regionals.

Sort of a related question. We are region one. I noticed at the last meet that DD was competing in a higher age group (she is 11, but competed as a 12 yo). She won't be 12 until after the L7 state meet. It wasn't until I looked up the state meet date online to ask the coach about it that I noticed there was in fact a regional L7 meet. Turns out, DD's birthday is after the state meet, but before the regional meet. So I assume she's classified as a 12 yo based on her age on the regional meet date, even though there is a low likelihood she'll even make the regional meet...does that sound right? I tried to find this online, but the only guidance I came across was specifically levels 8 - 10. I know it's not always the case that one will 'place higher' in a younger age group but she doesn't like competing as a 12 yo when she's not that old yet. (Fortunately she didn't notice that she would have placed higher across the board in her last meet if she was with the 11 yo's).

Here's the actual number of regional qualifiers per state for region 8 level 7.
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1427419498.094827.jpg

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back