WAG Bone bruise on spine?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Stress Reaction Definition: A stress reaction is the precursor to a stress fracture. While at the stress reaction

stage, the bone structure is breaking down and becoming weaker, but does not actually contain any fracture.

Stress Fracture Definition: A stress fracture means the structure of the bone has been compromised by a crack or fracture.

stress reactions and stress fractures are when the osteoclasts are out working the osteoblasts (blasts build, clasts eat up) there is constant bone turnover, this is why exercise build bone density, but if the clasts are beating the blasts, you get a stress fracture.

Yes, that ^^^

We caught it early this time, so there is no fracture yet, and some rest will help. But we need a good PT to help us figure out what is causing the extra stress at this particular spot on her spine. We need to fix the underlying issue, so this won't keep happening.

@IreneKa is she still doing a ton of hours? Any option to cut back at all?

Yes, 19.5 hours. Well, less since her back started hurting again. And we are planning to take a break for a while. But after she is healed, she'll have to go back to her normal hours, they don't give an option to do less.

Yes, 19.5 hours. Well, less since her back started hurting again. And we are planning to take a break for a while. But after she is healed, she'll have to go back to her normal hours, they don't give an option to do less.

She's going almost 20 hours a week as a level 4? I'd think that was possibly a red flag, especially with your posts about most of the level 4 team scoring 32-34AA. At that many hours there should be plenty of time for skills, uptraining and polishing, they should have better overall scores. I'd be worried they aren't educated in how to minimize overuse injuries and that her issues could keep reoccurring or other injuries pop up.

Are there a lot of injured girls overall on her team? How many hours do they go later on if they are already practicing what most optionals do a week right now?

She's going almost 20 hours a week as a level 4? I'd think that was possibly a red flag, especially with your posts about most of the level 4 team scoring 32-34AA. At that many hours there should be plenty of time for skills, uptraining and polishing, they should have better overall scores. I'd be worried they aren't educated in how to minimize overuse injuries and that her issues could keep reoccurring or other injuries pop up.

Are there a lot of injured girls overall on her team? How many hours do they go later on if they are already practicing what most optionals do a week right now?

Believe me, I've been thinking about the number of hours and no so great scores a lot.
I don't think the hours are related to her injuries. Her back problem started a year ago when she was still at 10 hrs/week. And no, we don't have many injuries on the team - one more back problem, a couple of broken legs, a dislocated elbow (in the last year).
The hours stay the same until level 8. Then increases to 22 hours.

Maybe I'll open another thread. This is @domalley's thread, I don't want it to become all about my DD.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back