WAG Thumb injury?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sari

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
I could use some insight here and hope someone has had experience with this type of injury and its treatment protocol.

My best friend injured her thumb spotting a FHS vault around the middle of February. Being the sort of person she is, she didn't see a doctor for a while "hoping it would just get better on its own". 

When she did eventually go, the doctor told her there wasn't anything he, or she, could really do. She didn't break anything (though she has managed to have a broken wrist go unnoticed before).
Apparently it's her ligaments and/or tendons and the doctor told her you couldn't do anything to help it heal once you hit two weeks post injury. Our old coach was telling her to occasionally apply pressure to the spot that hurts in order to form new tissue faster.

I wasn't convinced by either approach. This is the 21st century. It seems so unrealistic not to be able to do anything! It's been a month and a half and she's still having trouble just opening a shampoo bottle.

Did they xray it? It is very possible it might just be sprained. Sprains can often take a long time to feel better. If they did xray it and there was no break, there most likely isn't. It could also just be badly jammed. Also, please don't seek medical advice on whether something is broken, none of us are doctors. Hope your friend feels better!

They didn't xray, no. I wasn't asking whether it was broken but whether it was true that an injury concerning the ligaments cannot be treated in any way. I know the people on here aren't doctors, but I've found them to be very knowledgeable concerning all sorts of injuries :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back