Coaches Fat pad syndrome

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

catou

Coach
So I have a gymnast (P2 here, about level 6 in the us) who was told she has fat pat syndrome in her heel by our physical therapist tonight. She has a competition this week-end and then she'll have to stop running and tumbling for two weeks. She also has to wear shoes like running shoes for a month from the moment when wakes up till she goes to bed. Number of vaults and tumbling were already reduced but it looks like it wasn't enough.

Does any of you have had to deal with this problem in the past? Was it long to recover?

Our floor is really hard, I'm already adding some 2 inches mats on it to make it a bit softer. I don't know how I could make her landings easier as we don't have a pit and are already using the every mats we have so if you have exercises to help to do when she'll feel better, i'd like to know them. Thank you!

I'm just curious is it an insert or orthotic in the shoe or is it a specially designed shoe for the syndrome?

One of my gymnasts had to wear orthotics for a week strait in his shoes as per doctor's orders, so I just took them out of his shoes during practice and taped them to his feet. Maybe this could be done for her if it is just an orthotic.

So I have a gymnast (P2 here, about level 6 in the us) who was told she has fat pat syndrome in her heel by our physical therapist tonight. She has a competition this week-end and then she'll have to stop running and tumbling for two weeks. She also has to wear shoes like running shoes for a month from the moment when wakes up till she goes to bed. Number of vaults and tumbling were already reduced but it looks like it wasn't enough.

Does any of you have had to deal with this problem in the past? Was it long to recover?

Our floor is really hard, I'm already adding some 2 inches mats on it to make it a bit softer. I don't know how I could make her landings easier as we don't have a pit and are already using the every mats we have so if you have exercises to help to do when she'll feel better, i'd like to know them. Thank you!

this is what you do for FPS:

heel-tape1.jpg

Thanks Dunno. That's the taping the physio taught me yesterday night but it will help to have the visual instructions.

Thank you Bog, I'll have a look. That's a new problem for her and me, as it's the first time I have to deal with FPS. We'll see if it goes better with rest, last competition will probably be the Coupe Quebec tomorrow. I'll show the link to her parents.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back