WAG My first state meet. Don't forget......

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymRays

Coach
Proud Parent
I have the honor of coaching at states for the first time in a couple weeks. I live far from the venue and trying to get organized for the event so I don't forget anything. From your first state meet or any large meet experience, I'd like to hear some tips /advice.

USAG Membership Card (or a picture of it on your phone)... and any credentials they may have sent you.

Your coaches gear - Warm ups or whatever it is you coach in. Take an extra set, just in case (We had a younger coach split her leggings, at a practice, while sitting and talking with a group of girls. At a meet, it would have been SOOOOO much more embarrassing... oh, and please wear undergarments:oops:).

Money for parking, if necessary.

Have your phone fully charged... parents might get lost / be running late and may need to contact you!

Writing utensils so you can keep track of POSTED scores.

If possible, in advance, check to see that your girls are in the right age divisions. Nothing sucks more that to get to awards and a girl is in the wrong age group (major drama if she SHOULD have placed in her age group, but didn't in the wrong one - nobody wants that!). If they didn't send anything to verify names and birthdates, take a copy of your roster with names, levels, and birthdates.

I know it's States and the judges SHOULD know the rules, but your copy of the Xcel COP ... with potential questionable things tabbed (cast angle explanation page, split angle explanation page, pages with unusual skills that your gymnasts may use, etc).

They should feed you and provide for thirst quenching, but it never hurts to take water with you!

Make sure your car is good to go. It would suck to break down on the way.

Leave early - you never know how BAD traffic will be.

I know it's States and the judges SHOULD know the rules, but your copy of the Xcel COP ... with potential questionable things tabbed (cast angle explanation page, split angle explanation page, pages with unusual skills that your gymnasts may use, etc).

I do typically do Xcel, however this will be lvl 7&8s. Their HC has a conflict with his college club nationals being the same weekend.....so I've been asked to go with his assistant coach. AC can get confused easily so I'm taking the lead on this one. So.....i have been brushing up on my JO7&8 COP......check.

Sir if I may offer suggestions:
(1) Tape kit - pre-spray, under-wrap, tape, elastic on, vet wrap, & tape cutters. Ankle pads and gauze for clean-up.
(2) First aid kit - I know that most meets have med assistance, but I come prepared, just in case. Our kit is equipped with nail polish remover, hair spray, pony tail holders and pins.
(3) Young woman kit - I have this prepared by our female coaches in a discrete over-the-shoulder bag. It contains some extra clothing just in case. It also has a spare pair of grip bands. Kleenex and hand sanitizer to replace the stuff used at the last meet.
(4) Music device and back-up. Yes a back-up and of course power cords.
(5) Spare energy foods for athletes/coaches.
(6) Contact list - Parent contact list in case of emergency, gym contact list, copy of USAG info for all athletes and coach contact info. Medical info is needed.
(7) Business check for L8 Regional qualifiers. USAg info for gymnasts and club info often needs to be filled out that session. Check to see if payment needs to be made. Leo sizes for athletes going to Regions need to be filled out - be prepared.
(8) Meet schedule copy.
(9) Camera device for pre-meet pics to send back to gym.
(10) Driving directions/lodging directions.
(11) Vault velcro (if your gym uses).
(12) Business cards and employment apps w/ envelopes.

Much of this stays in my coaches bag. Once you do it, it stays and is ready to drive/fly.

Best, SBG -

Last edited:
You have been to meets all season, states isn't that much different. The kids can be more nervous than usual, especially if it's a level where they are trying to qualify for regionals. You aren't going to fix anything at the state meet, just try to keep them relaxed and in the zone so they can do what they know how to do.

Another difference is the number of coaches on the floor during a session. If you are in a large state, like mine, where the kids are spread out over several sessions based on age, you might have 12 kids in your rotation group from, say, 8 different gyms. That means you might have 16 coaches with one rotation. Keep the communication open with all the coaches in your group so you can coordinate warmups. If you get done with vault early(or if bars is first) get over to bars as quickly as possible so you can coordinate bar settings to help warmup run more smoothly. And hope you don't have 6 different bar settings in your group!:D

Yes. We had a judge at states who was mistakenly giving bonus credit for something that wasn't a bonus for an entire session.

I'd add to all the excellent suggestions above in the thread your preferred energy drink/caffeinated beverage if that's something you do, and a small bottle of Excedrin and either ibuprofen or Aleve. Sessions can be long, and with your eating and drinking schedule disrupted, you're more at risk for headaches.

Mostly the same stuff you would bring to any meet. It might be a little bigger, but that also means they are likely more organized- especially if it is a gym that has hosted lots of big meets before. Don't be afraid to ask questions at the coaches meeting or to the "go to" person directly.
Your state USAG site probably has information available on their website- directions, session times, and other extraneous information (regionals info) that you can go over in advance and bring any questions to the usual 7/8 coach- if you need paperwork, leo sizes, a check, etc.
Bring water and easy to eat snacks- at our last state meet coaches were given coupons to get food at the concessions stand which was across the arena with a lengthy wait so it was almost impossible to get there quickly. Food choices were also pretty terrible.
Most kids by level 7/8 will come prepared with all they need as far as extra hair ties, hair spray, water, snacks, whatever else they need- but it doesn't hurt to carry extras of some of the basics.
And have fun!

It is common in our state that the coaches give the girls a flower for march ins. (usually a carnation with a ribbon in the team color) Our boosters pay for it, but the coaches pick them up/take them with. Not sure if this is customary for your team or state.

This is fantastic. I do have my coaches bag always packed for the regular season meets. I'll now be able to add to it the things I haven't thought of. I will be going to a couple of the team practices next week to make sure I'm completely familiar with routines, setting, etc. I'm a very organized person, list making is a must, so I thank everyone for the great suggestions. Keep them coming.

Bring water and easy to eat snacks- at our last state meet coaches were given coupons to get food at the concessions stand which was across the arena with a lengthy wait so it was almost impossible to get there quickly. Food choices were also pretty terrible.
Most kids by level 7/8 will come prepared with all they need as far as extra hair ties, hair spray, water, snacks, whatever else they need- but it doesn't hurt to carry extras of some of the basics.
And have fun!

Assuming you're still in my state, get excited because state meets will be in that facility for years to come including this season....if you get lucky you'll be in the gym by the food, that's my strategy ;) I don't coach Xcel but might go for kicks. It's actually a nice venue but the food policy is a little stitch.

(4) Music device and back-up. Yes a back-up and of course power cords.

I have all the music on a thumb drive in Mp3 format and on my Mp3 player with a AUX cable as a back up. Is this sufficient? What kind of equipment do they typically use? Laptop hooked to stereo/PA?

Business check for L8 Regional qualifiers. USAg info for gymnasts and club info often needs to be filled out that session. Check to see if payment needs to be made. Leo sizes for athletes going to Regions need to be filled out - be prepared

In the info given there is a reminder stating "If you have athletes qualify to Level 7/8 Regionals, you must you must register them online using meetmaker.com" Would I still need to have a check at the meet with me? Do they only take Credit?

Of course bring the basics-hairties, hairspray, bobby pins, the alligator hair clips, maybe a hair brush, an extra scrunchie or two if possible, etc. Then remember food/drink for yourself, as well as money. Extra set of clothes, and tape/prewrap. Bring a girly bag (pads, liners, and tampons) and if possible black or your team colors GK shorts just incase. Have fun!!!!!!!!!

In the info given there is a reminder stating "If you have athletes qualify to Level 7/8 Regionals, you must you must register them online using meetmaker.com" Would I still need to have a check at the meet with me? Do they only take Credit?

Never mind, found the answer in the R&P.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back