WAG FHS vault

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymnastca25

Proud Parent
My 9 yr old dd does well in all events except the darn vault. It is not good. Does it eventually click?? or will she just never be a vaulter? Do bad vaulters ever go on to become good vaulters?

Yes ! DD first competed FHS as an 8 yr old -and it was 50:50 each time as to whether she would go over the darn vault. It took me three years to stop crossing my fingers and hoping for the best every time she lined up for vault. She is 13 now - and has gone from being one of the weakest vaulters on her team to one of the strongest vaulters... one day it just seemed to click.

My DD was never a good vaulter, until this year. She struggled with the level 3 flat back vault, it was always her weakest event. Last year as a 4 she was quite the same and usually the lowest vault score on her team. Then all of a sudden this year she started doing really well! She's often the top vaulter in her gym.
She's small, so I think that was part of it. I once read on here that the run should be, slow, slow, medium, medium, fast, fast (accelerating through the run). She said that really helped her, but that may be just lip
Service because she is 11 going on 23!

It will click eventually! In old level 4, vault was my worst event. I never placed once & it was the only event to keep me from scoring all nines at a single meet. Fast forward a couple of years to new level 5 & I was state champion on vault, consistently scoring high nines!
Vault development just takes time. She'll eventually figure it out.

5 months ago my dd literally landed in a handstand and walked her hands to the end of the table and flipped off the other side!!! Couple of privates and hard work and she's been either 2nd or 3rd place at the last few meets! There is hope!

Uhhh vault. My dd has gone a full year training level 4 vault and still doesn't always get over the table. I hate vault. I have gotten privates for her but it's only helped slightly. I honestly feel like it will never happen for her. She is 9 and short but there are girls just as short as her that have no problem with vault so I can't blame it on that, she just doesn't get it and I kind of give up.

I've told this story before, but my DD stunk at the FHS vault for a loooong time, and then at the end of L7, suddenly started doing great ones. And when I say "stunk," I mean at first, we'd just hope she would get one over when the judge was looking, and then later we would watch her jog down the vault track, do a little bounce on the springboard, pike herself up on the table and then hang out in handstand on the horse until she fell over onto the mat. Then, suddenly, it clicked for her. She won vault at her last L7 meet. We swore the apocalypse was imminent.

My son, at the beginning of the season, was the master of the FHS vault brought to you by the letter C. When he hit the table, his body would be in a huge arch and then he'd basically do what my DD did (go straight and then fall out of handstand onto the mat). I don't know what his coach has done to him over the last month -- chased him with a taser maybe?? -- but now he's actually vaulting and looking pretty decent. If you had told me at the beginning of the season that he'd place on vault at states, I'd have died laughing.

There is hope for bad vaulters! Really and truly!! :)

My 9 yr old dd does well in all events except the darn vault. It is not good. Does it eventually click?? or will she just never be a vaulter? Do bad vaulters ever go on to become good vaulters?
My DD has been doing FHS vault, for 4 seasons still her worst event. Just hit 9 last year and still not consistently. Last meet messed up her steps and scored mid 8s. Crazy thing is she can land a tucked and piked tsuk. I am not sure if she can do another vault at L 7 next year or not. Can anyone tell me another possibility for 7?

Sorry gymnastca25, didn't mean to hijack your thread, just wishing for another vault next season I am sick of FHS :)

Coaches, how many steps are your small 9 year olds taking? We had a girl come from another gym with a terrible vault. We started over from the beginning with just two steps and punch to straight jump. We eventually got her backed up to 8 steps to a flat back, then 10. She hasn't gone to her feet yet. Not sure if I should add two more steps or not, or just keep it at 10.
OP, starting over really helped this girl a lot. We made sure she was doing a long hurdle, and was punching the board correctly. She could do the drills correctly but changed her run and hurdle when it came time for the actual vault. We put sticky backed carpet squares on the runway so she could actually see how long her steps were supposed to be. Then she did straight jumps on to the table. All of this was done in about 45 minutes. She's had one meet since we changed it. Her score didn't go up but she went from not placing at all on vault, to third. Good luck!

My dd was never a very good FHS vaulter. Rarely scoring a 9 at any level. Once she got to level 8 and started flipping vaults she was suddenly pretty good at it - even winning vault one time. So even if she never gets great at the FHS vault - it doesn't mean she is never going to be a good vaulter.

I always competed a pretty mediocre FHS, and even now at L9 it's still not perfect, but earlier this season when I was uninjured, my pike tsuk scored a 10.0 at a test event! Could be that FHS just isn't for her.

Wait until she grows up, gets bigger & more powerful, & tries different vaults- it'll look so much better. I never expected to even place top five on vault, never mind earning a 10.0! It will come.

There is hope :) My DD has always struggled with the FHS vault. Would literally get stuck on the vault :) Now that she is training for the tsusk her FHS vault has REALLY improved!

Ugh, that stupid vault! DD has been through two seasons of it, never making higher than an 8.7. It kills her AA every time! I don't know why it's not clicking with her - she's a hard worker and a decent gymnast, but the fixes are just not coming. I am hoping and praying for a different vault, but I am pessimistic because some of our 9's STILL do the FHS vault! :eek:

My gym has us do 11-13 steps, depending on height and which leg they start with. But yes, the vault should click (it does with many girls)

Last year, vault was my DDs best event. Never scored lower than a 13.5. It was just the handstand flat back onto mats. This year she's obviously got the vault table, and now can barely get over it. It's really upsetting for her, as she also struggles big time on beam and bars, so at least she had 2/4 going for her if you know what I mean.

I'm hoping that ones she gets used to the table, her mojo will be back.

L5 (old) and L6 (old) always at or near the bottom for vault. L7 it clicked 1/2 way through the season. FF to L9 and she has placed on podium and even 1st a few meets, competing Yurchenko.
It really, truly, is a marathon.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back