WAG FHS vault

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Coaches, how many steps are your small 9 year olds taking? We had a girl come from another gym with a terrible vault. We started over from the beginning with just two steps and punch to straight jump. We eventually got her backed up to 8 steps to a flat back, then 10. She hasn't gone to her feet yet. Not sure if I should add two more steps or not, or just keep it at 10.
OP, starting over really helped this girl a lot. We made sure she was doing a long hurdle, and was punching the board correctly. She could do the drills correctly but changed her run and hurdle when it came time for the actual vault. We put sticky backed carpet squares on the runway so she could actually see how long her steps were supposed to be. Then she did straight jumps on to the table. All of this was done in about 45 minutes. She's had one meet since we changed it. Her score didn't go up but she went from not placing at all on vault, to third. Good luck!

You're on the right track.

I work with odd number steps so it's three steps to straight jump, five steps to tree fall, and seven steps to handspring. if they can't make those vaults with the given steps they need to concentrate on their run and hurdle. One idea to get a consistent run is to insist they run full out on every trip down the runway no matter what the number of steps or nature of the vault. My logic is taken from word class 100 meter sprinters who take the same number of strides each time down the track when everything clicks for them. the number varies from one athlete to the next but commonly ranges from 45 to 48 strides. The exception is Usain Bolt who has a 41 stride run.

Glad to hear success stories. My poor DD has a terrible time with FHS vault. She consistently gets 8.6 - 8.7. Except ONE meet - she scored a 8.9. Been this way for 3 years of doing the dang FHS vault.

She can take 3 big steps, 8.7. Stick the vault, 8.7. Makes no sense.

I thought that she'd never be able to do higher level vaults if she couldn't score in the 9 s on the FHS.

Now I have some hope.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back