WAG Level 7 move-up requirements

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a group of level 4s and 5s that will move up to either 6 or 7 next year. Move-ups were a mess last year and I don't want to repeat all the drama. I'd like to have a clear-cut list of skills, a way of measuring when a gymnast "has" the skill, a certain percentage (or something else) of all required skills and a date to have them by. So...
What are your gyms requirements on each event to move up to level 7? How is it determined when a gymnast truly has each skill? How many of the required skills does a gymnast have to have to move up? How far out from meet season are your move-ups determined?
Hope that all makes sense. Thanks!

I just go by the requirements with a tiny bit of leeway. Anyway, I would ago least do this for 7 in your situation, although it understand the need to make the numbers work.

So to move from 4 to 5 (is that an option?) would require a cast above horizontal. To move from 4 to 6 would require a cast to handstand and a kip cast above horizontal. To move from 4 to 7 would require a kip cast handstand. And etc with the other skills. I would allow them for instance to learn a flyaway and clear hip at level 5, so would have to show prerequisites (tap swing to height or bar and flat hip, straight arm shifting back hips in a row). 6 they need to do a flyaway from a cast, preferably a cast handstand, so they should really already have a flyaway from tap swings to go there. 7 they need to potentially do a flyaway from giants so should probably have a cast flyaway already.

If you don't already, incorporate these progressions into daily workouts in such a way that the kids can work at their own pace. By using the progressions and allowing the best kids to move on, the best kids will reach the top progressions.

We do train progressions, all have a flyaway from swings, cast handstand, not all have kip-cast handstand, most clearhips are at at horizontal, some slightly above, some (level 4s) are slightly below. I've heard some gyms require a giant for 7 or walkover-handspring on beam. I'd like to see 7s with a clearhip handstand. Is that reasonable?

If some of the kids are close, I think that could be reasonable...but if they are at above horizontal I don't see the need for them to have it prior to be selected for level 7 training in the summer...or are you going to wait until fall or winter?

If some have a kip cast handstand and some just have a cast handstand, then I think have a good starting point for the level 6/7 division...personally I don't see why they should need a walkover handspring on beam to move up to train 7, a back handspring would be reasonable.

I was wondering about requirements to compete 7, not train it. They will all be training for 6 or 7 to start competing in November. Decisions are usually made at the end of August. What I want is a list so that when it comes time to make decisions it is cut-and-dry based on what skills they have.

Well you'll have to decide whether to go with the USAG requirement or go above it. Personally we require a free hip handstand (or close) and giants to compete 7 but not every gym does. Most 7s have a walkover handspring because before 7 they had a back handspring...same as layouts and fulls on floor.

Make a print out of each event and the SR's for it. Then list skills beneath that satisfy that SR. You can have one for each gymnast and when the time comes just circle what skills on the list they have and mark it some how ( star, smiley face) if they have enough circled to meet the requirement.

Beam :
SR1: acro series with 2 "A" s or 2 "B" s with or with out flight AND 1acro with flight.
Skills:
BWO. BHS. FWO. Etc. Etc. Etc.

SR2:

*just a rough example, may not be actual SR*

Keep all the kids papers in a folder and when they get a new skill take it out and circle it.

L7 - Do they have 2 - 3 B skills on each event?
... that means Giants OR Clear Hip Circles and Cast Handstands on bars
... that means a Flight acro on beam (BHS, RO, Dive Cartwheel), a B jump or balance skill.
... that means B acro or dance on Floor.
This is in addition to the SPECIFIC Level Requirements.
L6 is for girls that only have 1-2 Bs on each event.

If you are doing a list of skills, you might want to consider having some that are "either / or" requirements.

You can always make the judgment call on "how close they are" to be able to circle it. Things like 1/1 turn on beam they already have from lvl 4&5 so some SR will already be fulfilled. So just the SRs that are a bigger change, like need of a flight skill on beam, could be your base for moving up.

As far as I cant ell at our gym (my dd is far form this) to go to level 6 or 7 you have to compete through level 5 and get the scores the coach deems appropriate for moving up. We don't score out of levels. As far as ding 6 vs 7. Girls do 6 unless they have the proper skills for 7, ie giants, beam backhandsping, some floor skills... (not sure exactly.)

As a parent, all I can suggest is decide and make it as clear as possible.

There is plenty of room for leeway based on meeting SREs from USAG - for instance whether you expect giants or just all the B elements for level 7 bars, or series with flight versus just series for L7 beam....the important thing is that what is needed be identified before you start training this summer - and then stick with it across the board (perhaps letting those who "almost make it " to L7 to move up during season if they get the last requirements...thus showing that you believe in what you laid out as requirements...)

If your expectation is that the girls be well above requirements (like being able to do free hip to handstand at L7), that's fine (from my mommy's perspective) if its been the way you've always trained them (ie, no L3 without having L4 skills, etc). There is a certain logic in this method that is not lost on me - as DD got stuck even with great scores as a L7 because she had never been up-trained at all before being forced by gym closure to change gyms. However, in optionals the design is that each kid will be allowed to have strengths and weaknesses, so some kids may have great giants but no real handstands, some may have lovely floor but not be strong on bars, etc....

Also, setting the expectation that in optional levels moving a level a year is NOT expected, and repeating is common in order to be able to be successful in next level will go a long way toward keeping us annoying parents from driving you crazy!

At our gym, the requirements simplified seem to be giant-giant-LO flyaway on bars (this being the most important one....no giants=no L7!), series on beam (BWO or BHS, any combination but BHS-BHS preferred) plus a CW-BT dismount, floor I think at least RO-BHS-LO and FHS-FT. My kid can do all of it (not overly pretty, lol) except the bar skills and will Not be allowed to move to L7 this upcoming season.

I agree with everything said above, but I think that something that is really important for parents of new optionals to understand is that their child should compete at the level they have the most chance at being successful at. How do you define success? That is different for everyone, but it is probably something worthy of you spending some time thinking about so that you can make the best decisions for your team. What do you want for them? Solid 35's? Podium placements? Team banners? How you answer these questions will help you determine what levels the girls should compete. Level 6 is a great level for getting some success under your belt and some more experience with unconnected skills like BHS on beam and free hips. It gives them a chance to polish up the basics of higher level skills. Level 7 is a pretty large step up in terms of expectations and options. You can compete basic routines that meet the requirements or you can max out the options. Strategic routine development is key to scoring well.

As the parent of a gymnast that has been through these levels, I can tell you that competition is pretty fierce in the lower age brackets of L7 (basically any gymmie 11 and Under), so unless they are competing good giants, have a great angle on their free hips, a series with flight and a good solid (un-pikey) layout on floor, they are not going to place well. You will not be on a podium anywhere around here unless you are scoring a high 36/low 37 and sometimes there are so many girls with mid-37's that even if you score that, you won't be in the Top 3. There is a bit of a higher standard and they need to have all the little attention to detail things like straight legs, pointed toes, etc. in order to do well. Confidence and 'presentation' go a long way so if it will take a year at Level 6 to gain those things, then that would be the better choice.

Good luck!!

Cut off for us is... If they haven't mastered the skills in time to compete the second to last meet prior to state they don't go. Obviously sometimes we know long in advance if a child has a shot. But for those who can potentially make it, we give them Every opportunity down to the last minute.

Totally agree with seeker. Level seven at the younger age brackets is fierce. At state this year in dd's age group you needed a 37 just to make the podium and event podiums were starting in the low-mid 9s. These scores are not easy to get. Everything needs to be clean, pointy, artistic, high, straight and with maximum angles.

In the higher age groups this wasn't necessarily the case, it was definitely more sane with maybe the top three or so over 37.

Level six is really great. They get the feel of optionals, get to work these skills but without all the pressure. If the girls get skills throughout the season they can add them in. Expectations are lower but it is still optional scoring rules so cast and clear hip angles apply and I saw a lot of really clean bar routines scoring high 8s because of that.

I love six. I think it was great for my dd and her teammates. There was so little pressure and gave the girls the opportunity to transition to training and competing as optionals. It really is a whole different world. Our level seven team rocked it this year and they have been able to train up and I have no doubt barring injury or block that they will all be ready for eight this season.

As far as requirements go, in our gym no giant no seven. Other than that if you could meet the SVRs you were good. And the giant had to be pretty consistent and connected to a high well executed layout flyaway to get them there. Oh, and BHS on beam also required, preferably connected to something. As the season moved on skills were added and routines tweaked to maximize scores for that particular kid.

As a parent I would just say that communicating the expectations and results will go a long way. We may get a little crazy sometimes, but most parents will go right along if thing are stated as this is the way things are and these are the decisions I've made based on what is best for your daughter. We may not agree but will usually get on board if it is communicated respectfully.

In our gym it is assumed after season that all girls will train to get as far as they can before fall when decisions are made. At that point coaches decide levels, this is communicated to parents and gymnasts and off we go. I really like that they wait as long as they can to decide to give the girls time to get that last skill or whatever.

Good luck to you and your team this year!

In our gym, you have to have a giant to go to 7. You also have to have a connected series on beam. My dd is a level 5 and will go to 6 next year. She is not ready for 7 yet due to the giant. Our 6's have their giants and some competed them this year.

At our gym for level 7 competition:
Layout on floor and FHS-FT
BHS on beam
At least single giant to layout flyaway
Clear hip to minimum angle
Casts within 15 degrees of HS (this one is my observation - the rest is factual)

I have a group of level 4s and 5s that will move up to either 6 or 7 next year. Move-ups were a mess last year and I don't want to repeat all the drama. I'd like to have a clear-cut list of skills, a way of measuring when a gymnast "has" the skill, a certain percentage (or something else) of all required skills and a date to have them by. So...
What are your gyms requirements on each event to move up to level 7? How is it determined when a gymnast truly has each skill? How many of the required skills does a gymnast have to have to move up? How far out from meet season are your move-ups determined?
Hope that all makes sense. Thanks!
I think that it is great that you are trying to draw black and white lines as I agree that the grey area is where lots of drama starts, but the truth is, no matter how hard you try, there will always be exceptions to the rule. The best way to head it off, IMO, is to head it up. Tell your parents that YOU & only YOU will decide which level YOUR gymnasts will be successful at. Definitely give them a list of things you are looking for, that you would like to see, but make sure they know (and believe) that you have their child's best interest in mind. Trust goes a loooong way for a parent! But then it is YOUR responsibility to keep that trust and hold it sacred.

I wish our gym had clear-cut requirements. As it is, it seems fuzzy and subjective and more like they would rather have a group of girls at one level than to have each gymnast placed where they would flourish.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back