WAG Jesolo live stream for the weekend

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think that Aly & Gabby may have a battle for an AA spot, but Simone is in a class by herself. She has more upgrades coming which will set her further apart. She won by 2.6 points today. Gymnastics is a sport of .10's -- a 2.6 margin is massive.

It will be very interesting to see what happens over the next 12+ months - there are some amazing seniors, and some key juniors to watch as mentioned (but they are so young!!). '
When is it too early to start placing bets on the team for next summer??!!:D

It will be very interesting to see what happens over the next 12+ months - there are some amazing seniors, and some key juniors to watch as mentioned (but they are so young!!). '
When is it too early to start placing bets on the team for next summer??!!:D

Way too early. There are just so many amazing gymnasts in the US. They will have a great team no matter what.

The question I have been pondering is , considering the dominance of the US in WAG how does that affect what other countries can, and will, do? I think, at this point, it is just about impossible to ever field a team that can beat the USA. Nobody wants 2nd.

Last edited:
That also makes it just about impossible to make the US team. They will be training so hard, I wonder who will get injured along the way.

If I were a promising high level gymnast would think long and hard before deciding to go or stay elite.

Over the last few years I have seen quite a few L10's who were young, and clearly elite material, just focus on L10 and college. Elite is a brutal journey and with the US being so strong, like you say, the chances of ever making the O's are terribly slim. Even as a national team member.

I guess if you are lucky enough to train in the US, and have another citizenship under your belt, you could compete for that country.

I agree that it will be interesting to see how WAG plays out in the coming years. The US is just so dominate as a team it seems like others shouldn't even try for first. Same with Simone in the AA. So what will the approaches of other countries be like in the coming years?

If someone is lucky enough to train in the US and compete for another country that seems like the way to go in terms of guaranteeing an Olympic experience. I know several of the UCLA girls are trying for that!

Event Finals -- Marta swapped Simone out for bailey Key on bars. (did not know you can do that but I guess, heck, this is Italy) Kyla won Gold on bars (go Kyla!!!) and Bailey won silver.

Simone won Gold on FX, beam and vault. Aly went oob on her first tumbling pass and took Bronze on Floor (she otherwise would have taken silver -- she could not pass Simone who scored 16.00 ). And Alyssa Baumann won Silver on Beam.

Douglas seemed pretty well matched to Ross, Raisman, and Key. Her 5.5 floor start value doesn't seem like something she can't improve. The routine was pretty strong.

Gabby got a 14.0 on Floor and Aly got a 15.2 -- that is a huge gap. Aly had a 6.2 start value and Key has 6.0, so there is much work to do to close that gap.

Bars is her premier event and she had nearly the lowest Execution score of the US gymnasts in the Team competition. Bars has always been Aly's worst event, so her score is no surprise, but the gap is made up elsewhere. Gabby's execution score is a bit of a surprise, but if she can bring that up, she has the difficulty to improve her standing.

UB
Biles - 6.1/8.95/15.05
Ross - 6.0/8.95/14.95
Key - 6.1/8.8/14.9
Nichols - 6.0/8.6/14.6
Douglas - 6.1/8.5/14.6
Baumann - 5.6/8.65/14.2
Raisman - 5.6/8.4/14
*Kyla won event finals with a 15.25 today and Key was 2nd (Marta pulled Simone from Bars)

None of that is a slam against Gabby at all -- it just this our first opportunity to see them judged Internationally, so it gives some insight as to where they are scoring/code wise. She is very talented and has a good amount of time to upgrade and improve her execution, but this is a litmus test as to where they are now. I'm excited for the rest of the Elite season!

"Gabby got a 14.0 on Floor and Aly got a 15.2 -- that is a huge gap. Aly had a 6.2 start value and Key has 6.0, so there is much work to do to close that gap."

It's not that big of a gap when you consider her tumbling is already almost the same as Key's. Douglas doesn't have her combination pass back yet and she doesn't have a leap after her arabian. Her start values on the other three events are comparable right now.

As far as scores at this event go, she outscored Raisman on three events. She split the events two each with Bailey. She matched Ross on one event and wasn't far behind on the other two. Ross fell on floor but it's no doubt she would have scored higher with a hit routine. I see them all as being pretty well matched at this point.

Understood...but it is a gap and there is no guarantee she'll get all of those skills back. She likely will, but as I said the thing that surprised me was her low execution score on bars. Regardless of what skills she competed, I thought that she would be higher than that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back