ILP Competions, medals?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi I was just wondering if the low ILP's in Australia get medals, placings, scores at their competitions. So far in NZ for IDP comps our kids have won medals, placings (all round and apparatus) but this year it is changing to stickers or ribbons and a certificate and no scores/placings.
Is this how it is in OZ? Pretty hard on the girls who love to compete and are used to winning medals :(

The ILP will get medals , ribbons, and trophies for ILP 4 and up, just like the national,program will get scored and medaled for level 3 and up.

In most comps for National level 1-2 and international level 2 only they will be getting the ribbons based on scores rather than directly competing against each other.

Reactions: COz
Hi I
Is this how it is in OZ? Pretty hard on the girls who love to compete and are used to winning medals :(

For the majority of gymmies who continue in the IL pathway they need to develop comp goals that aren't podium dependant.

I think it's an excellent idea for little ones to learn this technique early! This way ( hopefully) parents won't be left with a crushed gymmy who didn't place, instead they will have a gymnast who created realistic goals for the comp and happy she met them, able to formulate slightly harder goals for the next event :)

They have changed it here for ILP 2 to 6 :(
The WAG SDC want to trial a system where the IL2, 4 and 6 gymnasts compete but scores are not shown and medals for individual AA placings will not be awarded. Instead gymnasts will have certificates with stickers or ribbons to indicate the score band they performed to (similar to the STEPs ribbons) and with comments about what was done well and what needed attention.

For the majority of gymmies who continue in the IL pathway they need to develop comp goals that aren't podium dependant.

I think it's an excellent idea for little ones to learn this technique early! This way ( hopefully) parents won't be left with a crushed gymmy who didn't place, instead they will have a gymnast who created realistic goals for the comp and happy she met them, able to formulate slightly harder goals for the next event :)

The vast majority of those kids will never have competed before and won medals. International level 2 is only the first level, those kids who have already been competing will be level 4 and above (level 4 is the second level and level 6 is the 3rd level)

They have changed it here for ILP 2 to 6 :(
The WAG SDC want to trial a system where the IL2, 4 and 6 gymnasts compete but scores are not shown and medals for individual AA placings will not be awarded. Instead gymnasts will have certificates with stickers or ribbons to indicate the score band they performed to (similar to the STEPs ribbons) and with comments about what was done well and what needed attention.

We only have this for ILP 2.

But my guess is that the problem is that there are not as many gymnasts in the international level program. So if there are only 2-3 kids in a division, trying to win won't nessesarily push them to grow. Instead trying to achieve a benchmark score and standard will grow them more.

International level gymmastics is not about being the best at this age. It is about developing gymnasts so they will be the best at 16 when they represent the country. But they still need exposure to competitions to develop the ability to compete. So this system would be a more effective learning tool than focusing on who wins and who loses. It's about mastering skills and form, not beating the other 7 year olds.

Not in New Zealand, all of our kids from IDP 1 and up have been winning medals, placings and having their scores in 5 or 6 competitions a year.

Not in New Zealand, all of our kids from IDP 1 and up have been winning medals, placings and having their scores in 5 or 6 competitions a year.
I do get the whole development thing, and my daughter is very complacent and will just do what ever, she is IL4. As a parent though, it's hard to justify the entry fee to these Competions if the kids just get a sticker and if my child has an injury next year preventing her from continuing what has she got to show for all those hours of training and her short but awesome gymnastics career?

Kids who were in IDP 1 last year should be going to ILP 4 this year.

The new ILP 2 is equal standard to the old IDP 1, and the new ILP 4 is the same standard as the old IDP 2.

I do get the whole development thing, and my daughter is very complacent and will just do what ever, she is IL4. As a parent though, it's hard to justify the entry fee to these Competions if the kids just get a sticker and if my child has an injury next year preventing her from continuing what has she got to show for all those hours of training and her short but awesome gymnastics career?

In many of our NDP competitions, the divisions are huge. It can be between 20-120 kids in a divisions. They give out 6 places, so the vast majority of kids walk away from every competition with nothing in their hands, they don't even get a sticker.

Competition shouldn't always be about getting so,ething to hang on the wall. We aren't paying money for kids to earn medals and trophies. We are paying for the, to having a learning experience. Through competition they learn to control fear, handle nerves, perform under pressure and set and achieve goals. The real medals and trophies are the confidence skills gained and these are a lot more valuable.

If their career ends next year medals and trophies won't be all they have to show for their "gymmastics career". It will be the skills they gain like team work, dedication, commitment, agility. Coordination, balance, strength, flexibility, the ability to set and work towards a goal, passion and confidence. And these life skills won't get dusty in the cupboard over the years.

If coaches just focus on the now, and winning medals now, and being successful now and not on developing a long term successful gymnasts with longevity in the sport. Then the gymnasts won't reach their full potential.

Aussie_coach, I really do see your point of view, but I do also think of those girls who slog away for hours each week in the gym and come out at the end of 4 or so years burnt out and with no certificates, medals or anything you can show to Grandma. My daughter is possibly nearing the end of her gymnastics "career" and she will have practically nothing to show for all that. She's got certificates from *school* gymnastics which was a boring hour per week, but nothing to show for 20ish hours for years on end in the real gym.

This is not a several-hours-per-week time filler. It has been something she has thrown herself into and worked really hard. She's set goals and reached some of them. She still has others that she may continue to work towards if her physical condition permits.

On the other hand, if this does end soon, she will take with her her determination, great time management, perseverance, and "throw yourself into it" work ethic. In her time off injured we have seen that already.

Regardless of whether she leaves IDP/IL with no medals, certificates or anything to say "Once upon a time I could do such and such on the beam", it will not have been time wasted. However, from the point of view of a parent who knows that she will one day look back on her gym time and remember, I do wish she had some physical mementos. I don't mean medals necessarily. Even just statements of attainment, or a semi-official written record of skills she's achieved would be really nice.

Is she currently injured? Would it be possible to ask to video her whilst training?

COz, perhaps you're asking that question of me. I'm not sure. If you are, yes, she's currently injured and on enforced rest (no gym) for more than 1 month. If you weren't asking me, I apologise for answering! :)

Reactions: COz
COz, perhaps you're asking that question of me. I'm not sure. If you are, yes, she's currently injured and on enforced rest (no gym) for more than 1 month. If you weren't asking me, I apologise for answering! :)
Yes, I was :)

So wouldn't video be a fantastic way to remember stuff? Better than just a list? Would your gym allow this by special arrangement?

Aussie_coach, I really do see your point of view, but I do also think of those girls who slog away for hours each week in the gym and come out at the end of 4 or so years burnt out and with no certificates, medals or anything you can show to Grandma. My daughter is possibly nearing the end of her gymnastics "career" and she will have practically nothing to show for all that. She's got certificates from *school* gymnastics which was a boring hour per week, but nothing to show for 20ish hours for years on end in the real gym.

This is not a several-hours-per-week time filler. It has been something she has thrown herself into and worked really hard. She's set goals and reached some of them. She still has others that she may continue to work towards if her physical condition permits.

On the other hand, if this does end soon, she will take with her her determination, great time management, perseverance, and "throw yourself into it" work ethic. In her time off injured we have seen that already.

Regardless of whether she leaves IDP/IL with no medals, certificates or anything to say "Once upon a time I could do such and such on the beam", it will not have been time wasted. However, from the point of view of a parent who knows that she will one day look back on her gym time and remember, I do wish she had some physical mementos. I don't mean medals necessarily. Even just statements of attainment, or a semi-official written record of skills she's achieved would be really nice.
And that is the sad state of many gyms and coaches in our sport, that child should be burned out after 4 years!

COz, it would be excellent, but she's injured and so despondent that we don't know whether she'll go back. That's why it might be the end of her gymnastics.

Burned out, yes. But being injured for 1 year is very tiring and she's also just VERY tired.

I take back the 4 years. It's probably more like 7 or 8 years. But it has been about 4 years in IDP.

COz, it would be excellent, but she's injured and so despondent that we don't know whether she'll go back. That's why it might be the end of her gymnastics.

Burned out, yes. But being injured for 1 year is very tiring and she's also just VERY tired.

I take back the 4 years. It's probably more like 7 or 8 years. But it has been about 4 years in IDP.

I'm so sorry your Dd is going through this.

Have you (OP) considered counselling- the despondency with tiredness may be depression which can be a serious illness for children.

In a Australia CAMHs take parent referrals , they would be able to make an assessment and give techniques for helping to deal with her feelings of despondency.

Hoping your Dd starts to feel better soon! Good luck:)

Thanks auswi. I will keep that in mind. She's not depressed though - she's loving her time off gym.

I think she just lost her love of it when she could see she was slipping further and further behind her teammates, and that there's so much she can't do that they can do. Of course, given that her injury is to her feet, she's somewhat ahead on bars, doing some really fun circling elements, but that doesn't seem to encourage her.

At the moment we're just not talking about gymnastics with her. She's visiting once a week, and that's all. I don't want to put any pressure on her to return or not return. I honestly don't mind which she does when her injury time is up. But if she gives it away, I don't want her to regret her decision in years to come. If she does though, it won't have been a waste of time. Personally, I don't think she'll want to go back, but she might surprise me yet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back