WAG Getting a do-over at State?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cbifoja

Proud Parent
I'll be the first to admit that I don't have a huge competition background. DD just finished her fourth season. So I've been to a fair number of meets but not pretending to be the end all. Just wondering if anyone has ever seen a time when girls got to perform their routines a second time for judging. That happened today at my DD's state meet and it was the first time I had ever seen that.

Anyone?

Yes, a girl's music cut out in the middle of the routine, she became very flustered and came off the floor. She was permitted a do over, however this was at a smallish local meet.

It can be abused IMO- a different time, a girl had a mediocre routine, and cried and went on that the girl vaulting stepped too close to the floor and threw her off, blah blah blah. She was allowed a do over, and did a wonderful routine. To this day all other coaches and gymnasts are convinced she was making excuses because she was upset about her bad first one.

It's usually just allowed for equipment failure. This year at a boys meet, I saw someone who broke a grip be allowed to start over. That's the only time I can think of seeing it.

This was a different situation from either of the two described above. From what I was told, the beam in the warm up area (different from the competition area) was positioned as such so that when the girls in Flight A were warming up, the sun made it difficult for them to see.

When the Flight B went for their warm up, they had the same issue but approached a meet official who then shut down the warm up area and all other rotations warmed up on the competition beam.

At the close of the competition, the first team was told they could perform their beam routines again, but that whatever the second score was, they had to keep it. Half their team chose to perform again, half kept their original score.

It is usually only permitted due to equipment issue, or technical difficulty with music. If the music fails in the middle of a routine the gymnast can continue her routine and when she finishes the gymnast and coach must decide whether to repeat the routine or accept the score to be given ( before its posted). No deduction taken for lack of music. The gymnast could also stop her performance immediately ask permission from the judge to repeat the routine or continue from the point it was interrupted.

This was a different situation from either of the two described above. From what I was told, the beam in the warm up area (different from the competition area) was positioned as such so that when the girls in Flight A were warming up, the sun made it difficult for them to see.

When the Flight B went for their warm up, they had the same issue but approached a meet official who then shut down the warm up area and all other rotations warmed up on the competition beam.

At the close of the competition, the first team was told they could perform their beam routines again, but that whatever the second score was, they had to keep it. Half their team chose to perform again, half kept their original score.

Occasionally things like this happen.

never seen a repeat here, but we don't go to high powered meets, if the music stops the audience clap a beat and the girls just carry on.

IIRC, one of our girls got to re-do her beam routine because an idiot thought it would be a good idea to come blaring over the loudspeaker reminding people to not use flash. It was loud and startling and the girl came off the beam because of it.

This was a lonnnnng time ago, but I was competing on beam, was set up to do my dismount, and a photographer was standing on the end mat, facing the other way filming something. The judge hollered for him to move, and I did my dismount. Afterwards, the judge told me I had the option to go again...I had received a decent score, and was worried about doing worse, so I declined.

A few years ago at the State meet, they had the boys and girls competing in our local convention center at the same time. One of the girls on DD's team (level 8) had difficulty hearing her music because they were starting the boys' competition. They played the opening music for that boys session really loud (plus there was an announcer speaking during her routine). You could see this look of confusion and she tried to continue. They finally stopped her and spoke with the HC (seemed like the judges were having a hard time hearing the music too). She got to go again and actually did well.

Reactions: sce
In that situation, it seems appropriate to me that they were given a chance to go again. Definitely an advantage for those kids but it would have been equally a disadvantage had they not been allowed to go again so I guess they ruled in favor of the athlete.

I have heard that if there are parents taking pictures with a flash and the gymnast says it bothered them that they can request a do-over. Haven't seen it done.

It is an odd situation. I guess I appreciate the attempt to make things seem fair, as a change was made that could have been thought of as giving an advantage to others.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't have a huge competition background. DD just finished her fourth season. So I've been to a fair number of meets but not pretending to be the end all. Just wondering if anyone has ever seen a time when girls got to perform their routines a second time for judging. That happened today at my DD's state meet and it was the first time I had ever seen that.

Anyone?

Speaking as a judge as well as coach - at any meet if the music cuts out for any reason the gymnast is allowed to repeat her floor routine (the coach has to make the decision of having the gymnast redo the routine without knowing what the routine scored in the case of the girl finishing it and being judged all the way through)

Similarly as stated above, if equipment breaks you are allowed to repeat (the bars falling over etc. etc.)

Yes, a girl's music cut out in the middle of the routine, she became very flustered and came off the floor. She was permitted a do over, however this was at a smallish local meet.
Last year, we saw a girl finish her routine after the music completely cut out. It wasn't great, and most of us figured the score reflected about a half point of charity from the judges.

We had a meet where the fire alarm went off in the middle of a competition. The girls who were on events were allowed a do over once everything was cleared to get started again.

In that situation, it seems appropriate to me that they were given a chance to go again. Definitely an advantage for those kids but it would have been equally a disadvantage had they not been allowed to go again so I guess they ruled in favor of the athlete.
I don't really see it as an advantage at all...whatever happened that allowed them to have the opportunity for a do-over was disruptive, outside of the norm and probably rattled them somewhat. Also, competing is tiring and depending on how far through their routine they were, doing it again in short order may not be as simple or beneficial as it seems. If it is early in the meet, it could have an impact on their subsequent events as well. All depends on the circumstances.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back