WAG Conditioning question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

OrangeArt

Proud Parent
Random question: Is the conditioning included in practice usually adequate for what gymnasts need to be succesful, or are most doing additional conditioning at home (whether coach-assigned or self-assigned)?

Obviously this would depend on the program/gym, but just wondering generally speaking...

At our gym now, conditioning is plenty adequate. Thirty to 40 percent of their time each week (1 to 1.5 hrs out of a 3.5 hour practice) is spent on conditioning. At our old gym, conditioning was practically non-existent, maybe 15-20 min. at the start of each 3 hr. practice. Girls were not given any conditioning drills to do at home either. In six months here, DD lost 6 lbs., grew an inch, and has improved mightily on every event. Her work ethic is no different but the higher expectations/demands have made a huge difference in her performance.

Everything is done in the gym under the guidance of the coaches. It is definitely adequate.

We definitely do adequate conditioning at practice, and aren't given anything to do at home. We are however encouraged to condition at home just not pressured- for example, inflexible girls are encouraged to practice splits and bridges, etc.

DD definitely does enough at the gym. She's never once come home with an assignment and if she did, I'm not sure when she'd complete it with being at the gym and school as much as she is. She has very little down time at home so when she is home, she's being a kid.

In my girls first gym a coach made them an individualized home conditioning worksheet, because they were both lagging in a specific (but different from one other) area. They both worked on their assignments faithfully. In their current gyms there is no expectation of conditioning at home at all. One of my DDs continues to do so, however, because when she switched gyms she noticed a slow loss of strength (they don't really condition much). She still uses the old coaches suggestions.

For most kids, I would think that what they are getting in the gym is more than adequate.

HC specifically tells the girls NOT to do anything at home for fear of injury (they are 5, 6, 7 yo) except for splits, push ups and sit ups.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back