Parents Choosing to go to "lower" group due to schedules?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

suebee

Proud Parent
Dd (6, to be level 3) level will be divided into a "lower" group and a "higher" group. Different coaches (neither are her current coach) are coaching the 2 groups and they are practicing at different times, but the total hours is the same for both groups.

Dd was placed in the higher group but the schedule for the higher group doesn't work well for her and our family. The schedule for the lower group works much better.

Current coach placed dd in the higher group but said she could switch to the lower group for schedule reasons.

Is it a mistake to put dd in the lower group? It is not impossible for dd to do the higher group, but it would mean sacrifice for her (other activities) and our family (difficulty with driving her at those times). She really enjoys gymnastics, more than other activities, but isn't ready to give up her other activities with school friends. And while she scores well at meets, I don't think she has a lot of natural talent. However, she is extremely mature for her age and very coachable and I suspect this is what is getting her in the higher group. Some of the girls are in the higher group for natural ability but I'm certain that is not the reason dd was placed there.

Lower group, absolutely. It's still level 3, still same amount of hours.

Gymnastics is such a big sacrifice for everyone in the family (seriously, they should give me medals at comps for all the hours I spend driving!) that I'm a big believer in whatever makes it easier on everyone.

I was thrilled when they put dd into a group last year with someone I could carpool with, lol.

Reactions: sce
Thanks.

I think I'd feel more confident about my decision to put her in the lower group if the coaches of the 2 groups were the same, because then I'd feel like they probably would have the "same" curriculum.

I'm also a little concerned because a good number of the girls who were placed in the lower group are not focused and more disruptive during practice (not following directions, running around, being excessively silly), and the girls in the higher group are in general, more mature and focused. My dd will not be a gymnastics superstar, but she is very mature for her age.

Did you ask your dd? By that age, mine had some close friends at gym. It may not matter to her, or she might really want to be on one of schedules more than the other. If you could work out a carpool, that could help with your family driving conflict.

Given the newly added bit of information, I would think long and hard about choosing the group you know has many with focus issues. It is a lot of time to spend with a group that isnt a good fit for her personality. When ds repeated a level last year he was in a group like that and it is a wonder he didnt quit. Now that he is back with his original training group, there is no where else he would rather be. I would also watch the coaches and see if one is a better fit than the other.

If everyone is L3 and training hours are the same, what the heck is a lower vs higher?????

Reactions: sce
I agree. Hearing about the focus issues in the other group, different coaches, etc, would make me rethink things. However, if you stay wiht the "lower" group (and I have to say how much I hate when coaches have that kind of division in a lvel...it only causes problems), you need to be prepared for the fact that she might not be working the same things as the other group. So, her progress might not be the same as it has been, or as the other girls. There is just no way of knowing.

It will make a difference - but you have to decide what difference works best for your DD and family!

A better schedule may make her a happier/healthier kid this next year - a plus. It also may help her with gymnastics if she's happier/healthier....

A distracted group is very hard for a kid to work hard with, especially at the age I assume your DD is (being L3). Very few kids under about age 14-15 can consistently work harder than/different skills than those around them....so if there is a true difference in coaching/expectations between the groups your DD is unlikely to rise above those around her and get the same experience the "upper group" gets. If the curriculum will be exactly the same and all are expected to compete the same level in both groups, with age being the factor of decisions then no biggy - but don't expect your DD to be able to train with lower level kids but work ahead of them, be more focused, etc....that's a tall order for a little kid to fill.

Its only L3 - the road in gym is really long - if she'll still be happier healthier, no biggy whether she gets her kip as fast or learns her FHS vault for L4 while competing L3 this year, etc....just be honest with what you are choosing for her!

If everyone is L3 and training hours are the same, what the heck is a lower vs higher?????

We had two groups of level 3 last year, "lower" and "higher". The "lower" group had a main focus on strength building and flexibility etc. while the "higher" group were mainly girls not quite ready for level 4, but just spent a lot of time polishing routines and up training. When those girls moved up a level, the "lower" level 3's moved to the "higher" group.

There is always a "lower" and "higher" group. It may not be advertised, but believe me.....LOL

Our L3 team is big (for us) and they had to split them. And yes, it was mostly based on skill/talent/scores. We have the same set up in our optionals. Our stronger optionals train together even though they aren't all the same level. Some of our L7s are in the upper group and some are in the lower group. We just don't call it "upper" and "lower". We call it "5 day a week kids" and "4 day a week kids".

Your reasons to put your daughter in the "lower" group probably outweigh the improved scores she would probably achieve by training with the "higher" group. For those who haven't experienced the "lower/higher" training group phenomenon within a level, believe it. We have lived with a similar scenario this year. The "higher" group did better at our level 3 meets thought the year. But now attrition is having an effect on these different training groups. So, moving into the coming year, they'll be one big training group instead of two within one level. At a higher level it would be important enough to worry about. Right now, if she is happy with her training partners, it will be ok. Be proud she was originally chosen for the "higher group in the first place. :)

Ugh, I'm still undecided. Dd overall likes the girls who were placed in the higher group better and is better friends with the girls in this group. I think she feels that some of the girls placed in the lower group are too silly and not concentrating on gymnastics and that putting many of the girls who are like this together would be difficult for her to be happy with. But she also likes her school friends and doing activities with them and she doesn't want to give that up for gym either.

I think gracyomalley is right - the decision will probably make a difference but the outcome is not clear. Being with the lower group may make her annoyed and she may not progress as well and may not score as well, and she may want to quit. But being with the higher group may mean that she is resentful of gymnastics and not being able to do activities with her school friends, and may want to quit. Who knows?

The other thing is that I think switching from the higher group to the lower group will be possible later on, but switching from the lower group to the higher group may not be possible later on (mid-year, I mean).

Don't drive yourself crazy with the decision. In parenting there's often no "right" answer and you just can't predict the future. I'm also wondering if the decision is irrevocable. Since she was invited to the "higher" group, if she tries the lower group and finds that she doesn't like the dynamics, maybe you could switch. Just a thought.

I agree talk to the gym and see if they will let you try it for a set period of time. Maybe 6 weeks.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back