WAG Level 9 Regionals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

shelovestoflip

Proud Parent
My daughter made it to Regionals. Does it work the same as Level 8? Is their state together? Do they cheer for each other? Or is it like a regular meet? The girls from her gym are spread across 4 age groups so I assume they won't be together? Hoping others support and cheer!

L9 Regionals is a bit different than L7/8, since at L9 they are trying to qualify to Easterns/Westerns. So, no state team competitions. Your region will vary on how it sets up the schedule based on # of girls.

My daughter made it to Regionals. Does it work the same as Level 8? Is their state together? Do they cheer for each other? Or is it like a regular meet? The girls from her gym are spread across 4 age groups so I assume they won't be together? Hoping others support and cheer!
Great questions "shelovestoflip". My daughters also both made it to level 9 Regionals. As a level 9 newbie, I was also wondering how they qualify for Eastern or Western Nationals too. Is there a number per age group or percentage? I couldn't find that information anywhere. Just curious.

Easterns, there are 16 age groups, and top 6 AA from each age group in each region qualify. Westerns, I believe there are 8 age groups and top 12 from each qualify.

Great questions "shelovestoflip". My daughters also both made it to level 9 Regionals. As a level 9 newbie, I was also wondering how they qualify for Eastern or Western Nationals too. Is there a number per age group or percentage? I couldn't find that information anywhere. Just curious.
In the east, it is the top 7 per age group. (increased from 6 last year). In the west, I assume it is 14 since it was 12 last year - they have only 8 age divisions vs east, which has 16. It makes for 112 girls total, plus any ties at those 7th/14th place spots. Plus either 1 or 2 alternates. I can't remember.

I know it varies a lot by age group, but is there a AA range to realistically target if you want to make nationals (i.e., is it a 37 for most ages or will a 36 be enough for at least seniors)?

USAG website says both, Easterns and Westerns have 16 age groups. 8 juniors and 8 seniors. I believe it previously was as gymgal stated for Westerns. The birth dates for the divisions at Easterns and Westerns are already set and these will be the age groups at regionals. So yes her team mates could be spread across several sessions. It can make for very long and tiring hours for the coaches that have girls throughout levels 9 & 10 and multiple age groups. (In our region level 10 is the same meet, I assume it is for others as well).

Vagymmomma you can look up the results from your 2014 regionals competition to see the top scores to get an idea. http://www.usagymeastern.com/wp-content/uploads/2015-East-Level-9-JR-age-group-chart.pdf This is the junior eastern age divisions that will be used at regionals.

I know it varies a lot by age group, but is there a AA range to realistically target if you want to make nationals (i.e., is it a 37 for most ages or will a 36 be enough for at least seniors)?
This is really going to vary by region and age division. There are some regions that send girls with 34-35s. But in the more competitive regions and age groups you will need at least mid 36s. It really is best to just check previous years to get a sense of scoring needed

Gymgal. Where did you read or here about the top 7 going this year? I can't find it anywhere. I've been told it's top 6 from previous years but I can't find that anywhere either. It's not listed that I can find on the Easterns or Westerns website.

Congrats!!! That is awesome. I can only hope that I can start a thread like this someday!!! :)

They voted to change it from 6 to 7 last year. It is somewhere in the meeting minutes on the USAG website in the women's program or Jr olympic program. If you look at the R&P on line it still states 6 because that was printed before the approval for the change went through.

And next year (may 2016), the NIT will be gone and there will be 9(?) Spots for Level 10.

I think they are sticking with 7 spots but adding age divisions? So a Jr & SR E & F.
Either way, more spots.

And next year (may 2016), the NIT will be gone and there will be 9(?) Spots for Level 10.
I really should have checked before posting... sorry. They are ending the NIT but adding 4 age divisions but there are still only 7 per age group. So 28 more girls per region will qualify for the actual JO Nationals.

"The Junior Olympic National Championships is the culmination event for the competitive season. The competition features 12 age divisions (Junior A, Junior B, Junior C, Junior D, Junior E, Junior F, Senior A, Senior B, Senior C, Senior D, Senior E and Senior F), which are determined by birth date......USA Gymnastics has eight regions, and the top seven gymnasts in each age division from each region’s Regional Championships advance to nationals. The winning regions will also be determined at the conclusion of the competition."

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back