DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
Ok..I am full of questions today.

On Thursday, D got a rip..on his wrist. It is on the palm side, just past where his hand meets his wrist. It is about an inch long. It is not responding to normal hand rip treatment, and he tends to need it wrapped or it just hurts. Of course, wearing grips will continue to irritate it, but he will have to do that.

Anyone had a rip there? Any suggestions?

I taped a balloon over mine. I know, sounds weird, but it helped!

New Skin, the liquid you "paint" on to the rip with a little brush, may help in a similar way.

Also try longer wristbands.

Thanks.

It is actually right under his current wristbands...

My niece had one in that spot that lasted her entire week vacation. It still wasn't healed by the time she went back to gym. Some of our ops use liquid band aid on them. Good luck!

My DD doesn't wear grips so her hands are constantly a mess. We put a tea bag over the affected area and use press n seal (like saran wrap) to keep it on, and she sleeps like that. It really hardens up the skin and helps with the pain.

My DD doesn't wear grips so her hands are constantly a mess. We put a tea bag over the affected area and use press n seal (like saran wrap) to keep it on, and she sleeps like that. It really hardens up the skin and helps with the pain.

willing to try! Wet tea bag I am assuming?

Yep, make it like you would a real cup of tea. Then blot it with a paper towel so it's not soaking wet. Then press and seal on. Seriously, DD sleeps with 4 of them (2 on each hand) on nights when she does lots of bars / giants.

Great! We will try it tonight and see if it feels any better. English Breakfast ok ?? :)

Yep. We use Lipton, generic, whatever and it seems to have the same results. Beware that it does turn the hand brown! DD doesn't care, because she says they feel so much better.

I know this is an older post and this is probably too late but just in case it happens again or hasn't healed...

I use duct (duck?) tape for blisters in areas that can be covered by something like a wrist band or sock. Here's how:

1. Fold a piece of duct tape in half (sticky side against itself) so you have a piece larger than the blister (no sticky stuff exposed, cut it if you have to).
2. Put lots of Polysporin (or other antibiotic/healing ointment. Use ointment, not cream!) on the blister/rip.
3. Place the folded duct tape piece on the blister.
4. Tape over the duct tape and blister to keep the patch in place. I've even used duct tape to do this if the blister is on the foot (like your heel under a hiking boot). Really keeps it in place. Do a good job taping so that the duct tape patch can't slide around too much. But if it does, it should still be okay as the polysporin/ointment should protect it.

The smooth surface that the duct tape makes when folded against itself with the polysporin/ointment really reduces the friction that caused the blister or rip in the first place and protects it so it doesn't hurt as much (and can heal!). Hope that helps someone out there!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back