Q about next year - ON

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kitkat

Proud Parent
I have no idea if anyone know this - but what the heck lets ask.

Do you know if CPN will stick around next year?

I heard that National Open will change to Level 10. What do you think about CPN?

Good question that I brought up in a previous thread (but didn't really get an answer). If we are moving to the JO system entirely it does seem likely that its days are numbered...but I'm just speculating. I do think it's odd to have two streams in a small pool of athletes...the CPN program or levels 7/8/9 as a 9/10 year old. Many girls do CPN and then head back into the JO levels at age 11 anyway as they can't meet the minimum requirements for National Novice. It may be a good program for the few who can bypass JO straight to NN but why not just have them burn up through the levels like they do in the States? Having said that, is NN disappearing too, to be replaced by a level 10 that permits those ages as well? Anybody have some insight?

I wonder. The program has been around for many years, always shrouded in secrecy with barely any info available to parents. Now that there are so many changes happening, they put all the info out on the Gymnastics Canada website.

Can someone explain what are the comparative levels in the US with what we have here? Right now Novice isn't really like anything is it? Or is it?

CPN Aspire is similar to level 7/8. Elite is more 8/9. There are lots of differences though, CPN has "bonuses" for upgraded skills. Plus vault is more developmental in CPN.

Not sure where NN fits in...similar to national open but for the 10-12 yr olds? I don't know! It would be far FAR simpler for everyone to have one system...JO 1-10 and then national Jr and Sr.

Thanks - I notice that Open is on the National side. I heard they are dropping that.
Looking at the chart. Does that mean that National is staying as such - cause they have in Level 10 - not used in Canada.

I must have missed you asking...or I am having a brain fart. And I am only asking out of curiosity. My dd is Novice hopefully going Junior next year.

Good question that I brought up in a previous thread (but didn't really get an answer). If we are moving to the JO system entirely it does seem likely that its days are numbered...but I'm just speculating. I do think it's odd to have two streams in a small pool of athletes...the CPN program or levels 7/8/9 as a 9/10 year old. Many girls do CPN and then head back into the JO levels at age 11 anyway as they can't meet the minimum requirements for National Novice. It may be a good program for the few who can bypass JO straight to NN but why not just have them burn up through the levels like they do in the States? Having said that, is NN disappearing too, to be replaced by a level 10 that permits those ages as well? Anybody have some insight?

I would stay Novice is between level 9 and 10.
They do not have Junior and Senior in the USA. What do they have?
Level 10 then elite?

I wonder. The program has been around for many years, always shrouded in secrecy with barely any info available to parents. Now that there are so many changes happening, they put all the info out on the Gymnastics Canada website.

Can someone explain what are the comparative levels in the US with what we have here? Right now Novice isn't really like anything is it? Or is it?

Thanks - I notice that Open is on the National side. I heard they are dropping that.
Looking at the chart. Does that mean that National is staying as such - cause they have in Level 10 - not used in Canada.

I must have missed you asking...or I am having a brain fart. And I am only asking out of curiosity. My dd is Novice hopefully going Junior next year.

I would stay Novice is between level 9 and 10.
They do not have Junior and Senior in the USA. What do they have?
Level 10 then elite?

They sure do have Junior and Senior in the US. It's the same as here. That's what "elite" is. The girls who get to compete internationally. That's pretty much all I do know though, lol.

It would make sense to fully align all our programs with the US, but then that would mean gymnastics Canada changing, not just the provinces. Although if all the provinces leave the CPP program, they might just have no choice.

National open is now level 10 same age group as open. National Novice is now level 9 same ages as novice. Both will do provincial qualifiers and can qualify to Nationals at provincials as usual.

National open is now level 10 same age group as open. National Novice is now level 9 same ages as novice. Both will do provincial qualifiers and can qualify to Nationals at provincials as usual.

Where did you see Novice is level 9?

I read on the Gymnastics Ontario website they are still keeping Novice.

Who said this? I think there might be a mistake on the National Novice. They haven't needed to qualify at qualifiers. To qualify for high performance they have to qualify to go to Elite Canada and then they have to qualify at Elite Canada for Nationals (HP). If you do not want HP then you can go to Provincials Championship to try and qualify for Nationals

I had also heard that National open is now level 10 but they too will be able to qualify for Nationals and that would be at Provincial Championship.

Unless this changed in the last month? Anyone?

Gymnastics Canada no longer has a category for National Novice or National Open. They have switched to level 9 for those athletes that would have done "regular" novice and level 10 for those that would have done level 9. HP Novice, Junior and Senior are all still the same. This has been communicated to the clubs across Canada. Gymnastics Ontario would have to follow suit as there would be no opportunities to compete outside of Ontario for "regular" novice. I didn't say they had to qualify for Provincials at qualifiers I just said they will compete at qualifiers. I do not have confirmation on whether they will be treated as the other provincial levels in terms of "making it" to provincials. Also not sure if it is the same process at provincials for these athletes to get to Nationals as it has been in the past. That has not been communicated from GO yet.

Gymnastics Canada no longer has a category for National Novice or National Open. They have switched to level 9 for those athletes that would have done "regular" novice and level 10 for those that would have done level 9. HP Novice, Junior and Senior are all still the same. This has been communicated to the clubs across Canada. Gymnastics Ontario would have to follow suit as there would be no opportunities to compete outside of Ontario for "regular" novice. I didn't say they had to qualify for Provincials at qualifiers I just said they will compete at qualifiers. I do not have confirmation on whether they will be treated as the other provincial levels in terms of "making it" to provincials. Also not sure if it is the same process at provincials for these athletes to get to Nationals as it has been in the past. That has not been communicated from GO yet.

Sorry "switched to level 10 for those that would have done open"

Ok but there was never any competition opportunity for regular Novices from Ontario anyway. I was just saying this to someone else. Other provinces send their Novices to Easterns/Westerns and National Stream Cup but Ontario never does.

So yes, they will still have Novice in that they will compete to make HP.

I was wondering if you read somewhere that level 10 will not be an option for athletes under age 13? Will is strictly be for the age that used to be Open?

Also has anyone heard if the "scoring out of levels" that happens in the USA will be introduced here? There is a current thread on it here and it made me wonder.

That makes sense - if a novice doesn't qualify for High Performance Novice then they can be level 9 or I suspect 10 depending on their skills.

Which I think will work the same way for Junior. If you don't make Junior High Performance then you would go Level 10.

Having Non-HP Novice never really made sense to me...

I wouldn't think there would be an age level for 10. I know a girl who competed novice this year and she was only 10 years old and she was outstanding. That being said she will be HP Novice this year but I am sure she could compete level 10 if wanted? NO??

Ok but there was never any competition opportunity for regular Novices from Ontario anyway. I was just saying this to someone else. Other provinces send their Novices to Easterns/Westerns and National Stream Cup but Ontario never does.

So yes, they will still have Novice in that they will compete to make HP.

I was wondering if you read somewhere that level 10 will not be an option for athletes under age 13? Will is strictly be for the age that used to be Open?

Also has anyone heard if the "scoring out of levels" that happens in the USA will be introduced here? There is a current thread on it here and it made me wonder.

Level 9 age 10 -12 (or whatever novice age is) and they can qualify to nationals. No other level 9 age groups can qualify to Nationals.
Level 10 is for 13+ only. No other age groups can compete level 10
So nothing has really changed other than the name they have assigned to those athletes and they will now be scored out of 10 rather than the FIG modified Canadian model.

Some nice changes... I would love to read more about this...do you have any reference material?
Novice doesn't affect my dd anymore...but level 10 will if she doesn't make junior or try junior this year.

In the old National Open they would separate out 13-15 and then 15+. Are they still doing this in Level 10?

Level 9 age 10 -12 (or whatever novice age is) and they can qualify to nationals. No other level 9 age groups can qualify to Nationals.
Level 10 is for 13+ only. No other age groups can compete level 10
So nothing has really changed other than the name they have assigned to those athletes and they will now be scored out of 10 rather than the FIG modified Canadian model.

Some nice changes... I would love to read more about this...do you have any reference material?
Novice doesn't affect my dd anymore...but level 10 will if she doesn't make junior or try junior this year.

In the old National Open they would separate out 13-15 and then 15+. Are they still doing this in Level 10?

The document was sent to the clubs but has not been published for the public as of yet (that I can find). Maybe your gym will share it with you?? It was just a letter from Gymnastics Canada outlining the changes. I am 99% sure it said that at nationals they would still separate the level 10's in to the two category's for the AA and event finals. More info was promised for late July/early August.

Odd that L10 is restricted to 13+, definitely a step away from the USAG program. Lots of 12 year olds are capable of L10.

I am very intrigued to see what Quebec is going to do as it seems to be insisting on keeping the CPP going here. Makes competing out of Province a bit odd.

Odd that L10 is restricted to 13+, definitely a step away from the USAG program. Lots of 12 year olds are capable of L10.

I am very intrigued to see what Quebec is going to do as it seems to be insisting on keeping the CPP going here. Makes competing out of Province a bit odd.

Yes but we are still far from the USAG on ages at the young end as well. We still can't do qualifiers until age 9. But did you hear that the "invitational" levels (2-5 maybe?) will have their own qualifying system and a provincial championship? That is an amazing idea to me!

I am afraid that the Quebec system not changing will detract from the appeal of Gymnix. I think lots more clubs will be crossing to the US where the systems are comparable.

Yes but we are still far from the USAG on ages at the young end as well. We still can't do qualifiers until age 9. But did you hear that the "invitational" levels (2-5 maybe?) will have their own qualifying system and a provincial championship? That is an amazing idea to me!

I am afraid that the Quebec system not changing will detract from the appeal of Gymnix. I think lots more clubs will be crossing to the US where the systems are comparable.

I agree, Gymnix would do better to use the USAG system completely. Otherwise clubs from both sides of the border will go elsewhere. Plus the US really has some amazing invitationals. Chicago Style blew me away, I have never seen a meet like that before, plus all those awards and small group sizes. Still bleeping cold, but a ton of fun for everyone.

Here our lower levels have a provincials and qualifiers through our Circuit Regional. It is called Challenge des regions, it is very well attended and the girls love it. It has MAG, WAG and T&T.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back