MAG Best Summer Camp For Future Star Skill Development

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

dynnel ryan

Proud Parent
Gymnast
Hello. I have a 7 year old, soon to be 8 in May. He competed age 7 Future Stars last year and the skills are significantly harder for the age 8 group. He competed Level 4 this year but has level 5 skills. Can anyone recommend a Summer Camp where you've experience significant skill development. I am currently looking at USGTC or Stanford. I'd like Woodward but he's not ready for overnight camp unless I am with him. Thanks so much.

Woodward does allow parent to work the session their kids are in. I did this with my 7 year old last year and it worked out nicely. We both had a great camp week.

Reactions: sce
I think they get out of camp what they put into it. D has been to Air Force, which has commuter and overnight, FLipFest and this year is goign to Illinois. He has done pretty well at all of the ones he has attended, going in with goals and working to reach them. SOme teammates had more fun than skill development. It is just up to the kid!

I think working at their gym can actually give more skill development, but camps can be their own experience.

Hello. I have a 7 year old, soon to be 8 in May. He competed age 7 Future Stars last year and the skills are significantly harder for the age 8 group. He competed Level 4 this year but has level 5 skills. Can anyone recommend a Summer Camp where you've experience significant skill development. I am currently looking at USGTC or Stanford. I'd like Woodward but he's not ready for overnight camp unless I am with him. Thanks so much.
One week of camp anywhere is not going to build all that many skills. That beings aid, places like Woodward West or more about fun and chucking skills, rather than technique and development. I have been well impressed with Stanford's camp, but still my ds does not come out with lots of new skills. I believe, your ds is not at the level of their all day high performance camp either though.

Yep. I know they say the deadline is March 1st, but apply anyway. Likely they will find somewhere for you especially if you are flexible about dates.

My son sounds a lot like yours, he did not get lots of new skills bit he got LOTS of good work in and exposure to a different coaching style. If we had great coaching at home, then maybe less value but well we dont.

Flipfest is a lot of fun for the boys, and although they do work on skills there are lots of other "camp" activities. My son loves this camp, and I think he really enjoys spending time with his teammates and making friends. He enjoyed University of Illinois summer camp and also U of Michigan. Absolutely loved them both and learned a lot. He's still not old enough to be a resident camper in Michigan (must be 10), and had a blast staying on campus at Illinois. Both university camps seemed to be more focused on only gymnastics and the coaching at all of them is great. I agree, though, that it's hard to learn a ton in just a week and my son's coach has commented on having to sort of "fine tune" everything new they learn in that short amount of time. I think it's a wonderful experience for them though! My son is going back to Illinois and Flipfest this year. I hope your son has a great time!

Also be sure to check your region's Future Stars information. Some regions run weekend camps for guys doing FS where the focus is on FS skills. Ours has one in June and one in early September.

Two camps our boys have attended that I recommend for skills and fun.
WOGA skills camp in Plano, TX and U of M.
Check with a college near you. I'm sure most have a high quality camp.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back