WAG Level 7 move-up requirements

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think it's great to publish what your expectations are--especially if they're more than the minimum. DD had a coach who did this. He gave out a list of skills and connections that were required for the different optional levels at the end of the season. That way, the girls knew if they had a target level, they had to be mastering those skills over the summer. I think level 7 was mainly giants on bars, BHS on beam and maybe a switch leap. On floor layout, connected front handspring front tuck or better and a couple B dance skills. The actual competition level wasn't determined until the fall. Things were more fluid then. For instance, if a girl had everything else for level 7, but was not quite there on giants, she'd compete level 7, but scratch bars until the giants were ready.

Thanks for all the responses. Of the 10 girls, 5 will definitely go 6. Of the remaining 5, each has their own issues that might hold them back (2 weak on bars, 1 with major flexibility problems, 1 with a fear of beam and 1 with lots of general form issues). Because this is their first year of optionals part of me thinks it might be best to just compete 6 to work out those issues. But I don't want to make it seem like I'm holding the girls back just to have a big(ger) level 6 team. The optional coaches want them uptraining as quickly as possible because of age. They are all 10 and 11 this season. But I feel that we can still work those harder skills without competing them. Isn't there something to be said for competing easier skills than you're training?
So I'll make a list. Still not exactly sure how difficult to make the requirements but I'll figure it out. I just want to set them up to succeed. The girls that do well at 7, what are their clearhip angles? Do they hit every cast to handstand? Do to hey all have walkover-handspring or is walkover-walkover sufficient?

Thanks for all the responses. Of the 10 girls, 5 will definitely go 6. Of the remaining 5, each has their own issues that might hold them back (2 weak on bars, 1 with major flexibility problems, 1 with a fear of beam and 1 with lots of general form issues). Because this is their first year of optionals part of me thinks it might be best to just compete 6 to work out those issues. But I don't want to make it seem like I'm holding the girls back just to have a big(ger) level 6 team. The optional coaches want them uptraining as quickly as possible because of age. They are all 10 and 11 this season. But I feel that we can still work those harder skills without competing them. Isn't there something to be said for competing easier skills than you're training?
So I'll make a list. Still not exactly sure how difficult to make the requirements but I'll figure it out. I just want to set them up to succeed. The girls that do well at 7, what are their clearhip angles? Do they hit every cast to handstand? Do to hey all have walkover-handspring or is walkover-walkover sufficient?

Level 7's at dd's gym freehip to handstand and cast to handstand. They either do handstand back handspring or walkover-handspring. They all do well as level 7's. They usually score around 9.3 on bars and 9's on beams.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back