WAG Safety Issue?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mom2-4

Proud Parent
I thought I posted this thread earlier but I don't know where it went so I will try to post it again and hopefully it is not a double post. I know this is a pretty public place so If my daughters HC sees it I hope she is not offended. My DD will be a level 7 in 2 weeks. She has been new 6 for two seasons. She can land a tsuk has a good fly away both tucked and layed out. My concern is many of the bar and vault coaches seem to be men. She had a male coach before but he left. HC is not new to coaching I have known her for many years but she is very new to coaching optionals. She goes to camps and is very careful of shapes and progressions. She is about 5' and about 115 lbs DD is 4' 11 and 98 lbs. Should I worry about spotting bigger skills. Would you be offended as a coach if I brought up my concerns? Is this a safety issue for my daughter. There is a boys team coach occasionally available to spot big things but he has his own team to coach. Does size really matter? My DD really likes this coach. I just want her to be safe.

I think I understand the concern. My DDs coach is a solid six inches shorter than my DD, and she has stated unequivocally that she cannot spot my DD on bars or beam. If she did try it, I would be worried also. As for whether she will be offended, I am not sure. I would think she would be upfront with any limitations. Gotta have that trust.

The only difference I've seen between HC (male) and the other coaches is he has the upper body strength to 'catch' the girls mid-flight adjust their body shape so the can feel how they should be during a skill.

In reality there is very little difference as long as the coach is experienced (but it doesn't sound like she is) and knows where grab, tap, push etc. However, the gymnasts perception might be the problem. Once they are acclimated to the new coach it should be fine especially for your daughter, performing level 6, 7, & 8 bar skills. I would not speak of it around your gymnast. You don't want to create a problem in your DD's mind with what you say. Level 9 and 10 gymnasts might have more to worry about, but it will really depend on the coach.

It sounds like you like the coach and your gymnast trusts the coach. So just let them be the coach. They don't want your child in an unsafe situation either and they are the experts you are paying.

I had a coach who was under 5 feet, I grew taller than her but never felt unsafe with her spotting on any event.

I don't see how it's any different from a 5'6" male coach spotting a 5'8" hulking male L10 who's chucking double pikes. Actually -- maybe the typical girl is a little bit safer if she's less likely to believe that she can do anything! "Dude, watch this!"

The optional bar and vault coaches at our gym are male for partly spotting reasons- not completely, but this is part of the reason. However, I am certain that if your daughter's coach is professionally trained and goes to all these "camps" then she knows better than to spot something she is not physically capable of doing. I coach compulsories, but over the summer when my training 5s were learning back tucks, I could easily spot and flip over the little peanuts with no problem. However, we have some older middles school level 5s who are not that much shorter than me. So for the first couple of turns, I had another coach (female) spot on the opposite side so that we could double spot the gymnast to ensure her safety. After a couple times of this, the gymnast grew more confident in her ability and I was less afraid of an accident (gymnast stops mid-air, kicks open, etc) and I was able to spot her alone- and then eventually she was able to do it by herself. I would have never had her do it in the first place if I didn't think she was capable. The gymnast was perfectly able to do it. But when learning back-tucks, or anything new for that matter, you have to be prepared for something unexpected to happen. That's why I had the other coach step in for a couple.

Basically what I'm trying to say-- please do not voice your opinion to the coach about her coaching techniques and spotting capabilities (unless you've seen her first-hand do some sort of unsafe spotting that put a gymnast in danger). If she can go out onto the floor at meets then she is a qualified professional coach that had to go through various safety certifications created by USAG. Not only that, but if she's the HEAD COACH, she must have some qualifications to get her there and some confidence to be able to coach all her athletes. If she needs a second spotter, I'm sure she will ask for one when the time comes. There is no shame in that. Besides, there are some 5 feet, 115 pound women that would surprise you in how strong they are ;) So please, let her continue coaching and do not question her capabilities. It is very insulting to us coaches who put a lot of time and energy and hard work into our job. If she shows you that she is incapable of the job, then that's when it'd be okay to step up and voice your opinion.

The best coach for spotting at my old gym was a woman shorter and lighter than me, and I'm pretty short and light!

I wouldn't worry too much. I am only 5'0" and coach all the higher level kids. As a smaller coach you learn the art of using drills and stations to teach the majority of the skill, rather than relying on heaving the gymnast through the skill. By the to e you spot the gymnast, their bodies have already physically learned what to do.

Modern gymnastics equipment is amazing and has helped to eliminate constant spotting for coaches. This saves a lot of wear and tear on their bodies too.

Are you worrying about the coach's safety? :D

You have to trust the coach and size or gender is not a prerequisite for being a good vault and bars coach. My ds's coach doesn't really spot because most of the guys are or soon will be big enough to hurt him. Instead he relies on more drills and progressions and working into the pit. The guys learn all the big tricks they need this way.

Are you worrying about the coach's safety? :D

You have to trust the coach and size or gender is not a prerequisite for being a good vault and bars coach. My ds's coach doesn't really spot because most of the guys are or soon will be big enough to hurt him. Instead he relies on more drills and progressions and working into the pit. The guys learn all the big tricks they need this way.

Exactly. As the boys get bigger, drills, progressions, and if possible, harnesses can help. (we only have one, but it is helpful). Eventually, every coach will have a gymnast that is bigger than they are.

This is why I love CB. Can get opinions by people who have been there. I do trust the HC she has coached my daughter since advanced preschool. I don't have a problem with her being a female at all. I may be projecting my parent fear of bigger flipping skills another reason I rarely watch practice. I know that when we had another coach she told my DD that she preferred for him to spot bars and vault due to his height. The optionals other than the 7s have moved on with previous coach. So with my daughter being the highest level and HC being fairly new to optionals I had some concerns.Especially when I see at least in our area quite a few more male coaches for bars and vault, in college gym also. I feel better after your replies. Thanks Dunno it's good to know size doesn't matter. In spotting that is. :oops: Thanks all, for the reassurance. I think all new optional parents get a little freaked. I have seen some crazy bar saves by previous HC into the pit. Yes mrs so and so she is fine but I will be out of the gym with a concussion. I think by your ninth year of having a gym kid you have to have some trust or you would need Xanax.

This is why I love CB. Can get opinions by people who have been there. I do trust the HC she has coached my daughter since advanced preschool. I don't have a problem with her being a female at all. I may be projecting my parent fear of bigger flipping skills another reason I rarely watch practice. I know that when we had another coach she told my DD that she preferred for him to spot bars and vault due to his height. The optionals other than the 7s have moved on with previous coach. So with my daughter being the highest level and HC being fairly new to optionals I had some concerns.Especially when I see at least in our area quite a few more male coaches for bars and vault, in college gym also. I feel better after your replies. Thanks Dunno it's good to know size doesn't matter. In spotting that is. :oops: Thanks all, for the reassurance. I think all new optional parents get a little freaked. I have seen some crazy bar saves by previous HC into the pit. Yes mrs so and so she is fine but I will be out of the gym with a concussion. I think by your ninth year of having a gym kid you have to have some trust or you would need Xanax.
If it helps just a little further, we had a L7 once that went to vault and someone messed up the settings... a female coach (4'11" and 96 lbs) managed to CATCH ... upside down, in mid-air ... a 5'5", 125 lb gymnast, and place her safely on her feet. It was incredible to see, although a little heart-stopping for the parents and the judges who were RIGHT THERE!

I am smaller than the coach you are concerned about. I am a competent spotter, but am more likely to hurt myself when I have to "save" someone that the big guy coaches. I've never had a kid get hurt because of my size. I wish I was bigger, but to be honest it's because it's a pain to adjust equipment when you are my size more than it's a spotting thing.

I have seen some tiny women do some pretty impressive spotting. HC at my gym often comments that we need a new male coach to help with spotting or is quick to call over a current male staff member to spot something, even if it is something I am completely capable of spotting myself and I am standing right next to the kid.
I am sure this coach knows she's small and is well aware that the kids are taller than her, she knows her capabilities and any good coach would not stretch themselves so far beyond those boundaries so that a kid would be in danger.

I can spot but it is hard to do repeatedly with bigger girls. So I use progressions. There is a reason why many gyms prefer to hire make coaches for this. That said the are many non spotting progressions that can be used and are probably smarter and safer. In fact non spotting progressions are key in avoiding setbacks and mental blocks. So there is a balance in everything. It sounds like you have a good coach and so I'm sure she can balance spotting with using non spotted, safe progressions. If you have a good thing, then I would definitely stick with it because moving just to have a male coach is something you may likely regret if they don't balance spotting with technique and progression. It sounds like there is a coach available in your gym for "first time" type of safety spotting so that's perfect.

If it helps just a little further, we had a L7 once that went to vault and someone messed up the settings... a female coach (4'11" and 96 lbs) managed to CATCH ... upside down, in mid-air ... a 5'5", 125 lb gymnast, and place her safely on her feet. It was incredible to see, although a little heart-stopping for the parents and the judges who were RIGHT THERE!
This is bars but here's something similar

@Mom2-4 my mom had the same concern when I started gymnastics! So you're definitely not alone! At 5'5" I've never been dropped by a coach smaller than me, actually the opposite. Which that is another story about when a double spot is needed.....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back