Additional Conditioning Classes?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymdog

Coach
Wasn't sure which forum to put this in...so I went with "other" :)

I have seen on some gym websites and some people have mentioned on here additional classes or practices for conditioning. While I agree a lot of conditioning should be done in practice, I can see how this could be helpful to have a dedicated optional/additional session solely for that, for those who want to put in the time to progress faster.

I'm not talking about just for TOPs.

Does your gym have anything like this? Who is it for - rec, developmental, team? If it's for everyone, is it divided by levels?

I'm thinking this would be ideal for developmental groups who have less time in the gym (3-6 hours or so) and often want to know what to do to progress faster, or simply enjoy it and would like an extra hour or two.

For my excel platinum team, our workout times were the same as the golds/silvers/bronzes. To make up for working higher tricks we got an hour after practice just for platinum for conditioning. This was all by yourself with no coach, but we kept notebooks. I liked having the ability to condition what I personally needed to!

Our gym offers two conditioning classes a week. They are 1.5 hrs and open to anyone who is a member of the gym- rec or team. They are a pay as you go type deal. My kids do one a week, and we find it extremely beneficial. My team dd does about 45 mins of conditioning per practice, and my rec dd does about 30, but this class seems to help more.

They typically do lots of push ups, v-ups, weight work, it is hard/fast/repeat on lots of simple things like power round off rebounds and robhs. Last Sunday they practiced running aerial cartwheels repeatedly for 45 minutes. Lots and lots of running. It's an easy class, skill wise, but they leave more tired from the short time than from a 3 hr team practice. I am not sure how it would work with people higher levels because my girls are consistently the only people who show up.

Personally, it's so helpful at the advanced beginner level that I'd pay the kids to show up. Is there anyone out there who can tell me what the rate is for classes like this?

Personally, it's so helpful at the advanced beginner level that I'd pay the kids to show up. Is there anyone out there who can tell me what the rate is for classes like this?

It seems like it's helpful in itself just to figure out which kids are dedicated enough to come. I first hear of the concept on here and was intrigued by that aspect.

Our gym offers it, an extra hour of conditioning but it's on Sundays?! No thanks during the school year! During the summer it's offered during the week, but she's already there 5x a week so we aren't doing it.

Some Crossfit gym have kids training programs with multiple options a week for around $50 a month. The change of environment and sport could be beneficial to prevent burn out. Also you could go to USAG and download the conditioning program and schedule specific hours throughout the week and go to a park or gym and train with your DD. That's what we do, and she enjoys the family workout!

"Strive for perfection, Achieve excellence"

My daughter would love a class like this, she loves conditioning. My daughter is currently doing 2 sessions a week in development and a stretch class at a local dance class, in the stretch class they do a lot of core exercises and flexibility, fortunately my daughter finds it pretty easy and can beat older girls thanks to conditioning at home, she will now have to give up this class as she will be training 3 times a week in after the Easter break and she will have gym on the same night as her stretch class.

Our gym offers 3 days of extra conditioning a week. 1.5 hours per day. It's during daytime hours so typically only homeschool kids can attend. They run a lot, bar endurance, they focus lots on body positions, flexibility etc. Level ranges from level 4-9. Our gym does not charge anything extra for these hours! And it's basically the same 4 girls everyday! My dd has gotten so much stronger and improved greatly from these extra hours.

At our old gym they had an extra class on Saturdays. At first it was invite only for those girls they saw talent in. My older dd (younger was no longer at this gym) sooooo wanted to do it; but didn't get invited. I asked her coaches if there was any chance that they could do another group for girls who weren't invited but really wanted to do it. For months they said no; but finally at the end of the season they opened a class up for those who weren't in the invite class. DD really liked it. It was on Saturdays, 3 hours. Mostly conditioning with some up training (which was the only chance to do that as that gym didn't up train much). I think it was around $50/month.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back