WAG How many years- what level

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

age 7- stepped in a gym
age 8- level 4
age 9- level 5
age 10- level 6
age 11- level 8( one level 7 meet)- then more injuries then one needs to have in a 12 month span
age 12- level 8
The plan is to compete 9 next season!

started rec classes at 3
competed pre team at 6
level 3 at 7
level 4 at 8
now moved to level 5 and she is 9

Very random numbers and time-lines for me to really understand a progress trend. I will like to know the hours per week of training in each level to properly see if there is any correlation between the athletes that stay in one level 3+ yrs versus the ones that moved-up faster. Nonetheless very interesting information. Thanks all!

"Strive for perfection, Achieve excellence"

My daughter was new level 1 at 6 (her 2nd yr in gymnastics). Practiced twice a week at 2 hrs ea class = 4 hrs/wk

Level 2 at age 7, practiced two days = 7 hrs/wk

Level 3 at age 8, three days a week + TOPS = 14 hrs/wk

Level 4 at age 9 four days a week + TOPS = 16 hrs/wk

For our example of hours when she was in rec she did 1 hour a week, when she moved to preteam she did 3 hours a week, now in L3 she does 4 hours a week (except during summer she does 6 hours a week). She wishes for more hours like others in our area but our gym doesn't believe in that. The typical hours for L3 in the area is 12 per week.

started rec classes at 3
competed pre team at 6- 4 hours per week
level 3 at 7- 9 hours per week
level 4 at 8-12 hours per week
now moved to level 5 and she is 9- 16 hours per week

DS
7 year old. L4
8 year old. L4
9 year old. L5
10 yr old. L6
11 yr old. New L6
12 yr.,old injured
13 yr old injured
14 year old. L8

DD
6 years old. L2
7 years old. L3
8 years old. New 3
9 years old. New 4
10 years New 5
Will compete optionals is all goes as planned spring 2016. She will have just turned 11.

It's been a long time. My DS is the only one in gym now. He started in rec when he was around 5 or 6. He started level 4 team in 2007 at 7 years old. He just turned 15 and is competing level 9. So ten years total.

My DD was the first one in gym. She went to some Mommy and me classes when she was around 2 and then was out for a while. In 2004, she watched Carly Patterson win the Olympics and said "I want to do that." So she started in earnest in Fall 2004. She competed level 4 the next Fall. Then level 5 the next two falls. She did level 6 in 2008 then a couple meets of level 7 in the spring season. Then next year, she did a full season of level 7. She quit right before she was to begin her level 8 season. That must have been 2010. So she did 6 years total.

mommy and me - 18 mos to 3 years

I think it is funny to even include that. My daughter would tell you those classes were silly and she started real gymnastics at three years old. LOL!

developmental - ages 3/4 - 2 hours a week
preteam - ages 5/6 - 4 hours
Old 3 - age 7 - 9 hours
Old 3 - age 8 - 12 hours

She then skipped New 4 as you didn't have to score out in the transition year and scored out of new level 5 and competed new level 6.

New 6 - age 9 - 16 hours
Level 7 - age 10 - 18 hours

Age 12- pre-team after 1 rec class (2hr x 2)
Age 13- old 4 (3hr x 2)
Age 14- old 5 (3hr x 3)
Age 15- did not compete (fractured back/ torn ACL)
Age 16- xcel gold; getting back into the swing of things (3.5hr x 3)
Age 17- new 6 (3.5hr x 4)
Age 18- 6/7 (3.5hr x 4)

It's been a long, bumpy journey that's coming to a close :(

DD1 rec at age 4, old L4 at 7, quit at 14 after what would have been 3rd L8 (old) season (7 yrs competing total)

DD2 rec at 3, preteam at 5, old L4 at 6, now 2nd season level 10 at 14 (9th yr competing)

Total years for me as team mom - 11 ;)

DD1 rec at age 4, old L4 at 7, quit at 14 after what would have been 3rd L8 (old) season (7 yrs competing total)

DD2 rec at 3, preteam at 5, old L4 at 6, now 2nd season level 10 at 14 (9th yr competing)

Total years for me as team mom - 11 ;)
This reminds me of my kids. The younger one followed his older sister into the sport and ended up being the one who stuck with it.

mommy and me - 18 mos to 3 years

I think it is funny to even include that. My daughter would tell you those classes were silly and she started real gymnastics at three years old.
Lol! We 'skipped' the mommy and me, or so I thought we had....DD started the day after her 3rd birthday and she cried the whole time....the coach recommended we go into m-n-m. We had to stay there for about 6 months before she would go to class without me & only then would she go with the m-n-m coach! If there was a substitute, it wasn't happening! She's still pretty shy at 9!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back